Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

They must've just taken it off all the VOD platforms because I'm pretty sure it was still available on the usual Google/YouTube/VUDU et al last week

Up for debate whether or not that's the kind of strategy that works for everyone, but I doubt Disney's feeling much shame right now at least as far as its movie division is going

Just now, emoviefan said:

Love the Black Widow love. It's no Winter Soldier but what is? If it had come out in May 2020 in a non covid world it would have easily opened over 100 and did 250+DOM and 700WW.

I think Black Widow would have made 850M WW. MCU hype was still around, I think we forget how much the pandemic mellowed out post-Endgame hype.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Cap 4 doesn’t have Steve Rogers, is following a crappy streaming show,  and the China and Korea market which were big for the original movies have shrunk. When it doesn’t make much more than 550m don’t act surprised 

This MCU has lost South Korea narrative is nonsensical considering the only films that really made huge numbers there were Spider-Man and Avengers proper (not solos). Cap 4 comparison would not even be Civil War which was a quasi-Avengers movie. Winter Soldier made all of 30M in SK.

Also, your personal hateboner for TFaWS aside, it's still the most watched Disney+ Marvel show after Loki Season 1 and this film comes FOUR WHOLE YEARS after it first aired anyhoo to make any difference.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Cap 4 doesn’t have Steve Rogers, is following a crappy streaming show,  and the China and Korea market which were big for the original movies have shrunk. When it doesn’t make much more than 550m don’t act surprised 

550 WW would be  over 100 million more than QM did on that same weekend 2 years earlier.  Would not be a profitable movie but they would take it if the movie was good and WOM led to strong legs.

8 minutes ago, AniNate said:

They must've just taken it off all the VOD platforms because I'm pretty sure it was still available on the usual Google/YouTube/VUDU et al last week

Up for debate whether or not that's the kind of strategy that works for everyone, but I doubt Disney's feeling much shame right now at least as far as its movie division is going

No. It's not like Disney actually did much to promote their re-release. It felt like there was an ulterior motive for it, something unknown to the general public, because they didn't even do any 3D screenings. If they had, I would have gone to all three.

3 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

The First Avenger is the best Captain America movie.

I love The First Avenger and it's my number one Phase 1 movie but Winter Soldier just edges it out. Civil War I always feel like is more Avengers Part 2.5

• Like 1

I don't know if this was a conscious Laika intention, but the Coraline box office numbers do show that there is a long-term benefit to owning and distributing their movies if you want them. They may be loss leaders at the box office but typically you can count on the kind of artistic merit being there that will draw audience interest for years to come. Wildwood still doesn't have a distributor yet and I think in a way it was a move to make themselves look attractive to one. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It came from World of Reel.

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/6/27/captain-america-brave-new-world-has-a-budget-of-350m-375m

And it’s silly speculation with an obvious objective. NO ONE on their right mind said that Multiverse of Madness or Vol. 3 underperformed or were disappointing. That’s the ballpark I see to all the MCU and DCU project next year. Goal posting moving non sense from people on BOT going through mental gymnastics to create a narrative doesn’t have a stand in reality.

See how people can talk about whatever general question and you keep coming back to MCU being a poor thing that needs to be defended from evil people that have an agenda against them?

Fine, let me change the franchise. MI7 was considered a flop because it costs 291M instead of 145M like MI4. The same logic applies to a lot of these movies that gross 600-700M and still are considered disappointments.

Clear now?

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I love The First Avenger and it's my number one Phase 1 movie but Winter Soldier just edges it out. Civil War I always feel like is more Avengers Part 2.5

WINTER SOLDIER is not just the best Cap movie for me, it's also one of Marvel's best.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

See how people can talk about whatever general question and you keep coming back to MCU being a poor thing that needs to be defended from evil people that have an agenda against them?

Fine, let me change the franchise. MI7 was considered a flop because it costs 291M instead of 145M like MI4. The same logic applies to a lot of these movies that gross 600-700M and still are considered disappointments.

Clear now?

Hell, The Little Mermaid was considered a flop and made $100+ million more of its money domestically than MI7, and ended its run making $2 million more.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
  • Thanks 1

Disney never expected much from those Pixar "first time in theaters" releases and it showed, especially when they only occurred because their two big bets for the spring (Snow White and Elio) were delayed to '25. Coraline has developed something of a Nightmare Before Christmas-esque following where it did well in theaters but has become much bigger over the years. Hence the solid numbers.

Still think it was a mistake Sony didn't give the Spider-Man re-releases a wider push beyond a one night event (on Mondays, no less) earlier this year. Or at least the Maguire trilogy. Those probably could've added another $30-40M to their lifetime totals considering they hadn't been officially reissued to theaters since their original runs in '02/'04/'07.

• Like 4

You know what’s a good movie: Hundreds of Beavers. Saw it for the first time last weekend as I was dealing with Covid and really loved it. Probably my favorite film of the year, as it’s so damn funny. Nice to see some great live action slapstick.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Clear now?

This isn't really about MCU for the haters but a particular kind of MCU film with a particular kind of lead. Coincidentally, the last film I saw B-B-BUT THE BUDGET!! whinging and whining to validate that a 550M-ish range would be a bomb was The Little Mermaid. 

Hmm, I wonder what's common between Cap 4 and TLM

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Clear now?

this guy was in hibernation for a while and popped up for D&W. What has Disney done to us

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I wish Joe Johnston did more film in the MCU. Probably not the Cap sequels but the style he brought to TFA on, say, Avengers probably would have gone hard as hell. 

• Like 1