Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

Wait, wasn't Coraline already rereleased last year? It came out again this weekend in 3D? Why are they rereleasing it 2 years in a row? Milking it hard. lol

Edited by Mojoguy

28 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Wait, wasn't Coraline already rereleased last year? It came out again this weekend in 3D? Why are they rereleasing it 2 years in a row? Milking it hard. lol

hey they did the same thing with Nightmare Before Christmas, so I guess it works.

Maybe Coraline did so well was because of the incredible lack of family animation outside of IO2 and DN4 this summer. Transformers One really should have come out last weekend.

10 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Maybe Coraline did so well was because of the incredible lack of family animation outside of IO2 and DN4 this summer. Transformers One really should have come out last weekend.

It probably should have for more distance from The Wild Robot but I'm assuming they wanted IMAX/PLF screens and it was easier to secure them in September (at one point it was going to share those screens with Wolfs, but since that cancelled its theatrical release it will get those auditoriums completely for that week now).

saw coraline in 3d yesterday afternoon and 1. the theater was packed and 2. the remaster was CHEF'S KISS. maybe a top ten film of all time for me.

Edited by RyneOh1040
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

It just have a lot of die hard fans 

It did better than last year because last year the distribution was worse and it didn’t have the 3D (which is arguably one of the best ever made)

• Like 1

Well, right now Neil Gaiman is a PR third rail, so I think any future productions he could benefit from are on hold until that gets sorted out. It does improve Laika's stock though and hopefully Henry Selick can easier find new work.

Interestingly enough Nike's stock is up 14% in the last week. Coincidence? 🤔

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Last year was just part of a series of Halloween spooky season re-releases, and this year is it's 15th anniversary. And it didn't come out in 3D for its re-release or any re-release it's ever had. So it hasn't been in theaters in 3D since it's original release. They'll have a Halloween release next year too probably. 

Edited by wattage

Coraline is definitely one of the most popular stop motion movies and has a very dedicated fanbase. When I watched it was primarily 20 and 30 somethings, people my age. Not really something being driven by families, though I would really like to have real surveying on that so we can know. I'm interested in how much is families, possibly parents who liked the movie when they were younger too. 

13 minutes ago, wattage said:

Last year was just part of a series of Halloween spooky season re-releases, and this year is it's 15th anniversary. And it didn't come out in 3D for its re-release or any re-release it's ever had. So it hasn't been in theaters in 3D since it's original release. They'll have a Halloween release next year too probably. 

Deadline says Caroline did $7M+ over 4 days during last year's rerelease, so it was pretty significant amount. The OW in 2009 was about $16.8M.

https://deadline.com/2024/08/indie-film-box-office-coraline-my-penguin-friend-1236043184/

Edited by Mojoguy

22 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Deadline says Caroline did $7M+ over 4 days during last year's rerelease, so it was pretty significant amount. The OW in 2009 was about $16.8M.

https://deadline.com/2024/08/indie-film-box-office-coraline-my-penguin-friend-1236043184/

And I was 15 of those dollars this year and last year! And however much I paid (with my parents money) the 3 times I saw it in 2009 lol. 

Coraline has anl very strong afterlife that some of the other Laika films I would say do not, not as strongly. If they did a Paranorman re-release with proper advertising I think it would also pull something similar, re-release numbers within spitting distance of its original opening weekend. The really good ones have great longevity. Kubo I think is another of those. 

Edited by wattage