miketheavenger

Which animated film will beat Inside Out 2?

I think the only animated film that could beat Inside Out 2… is Inside Out 3.

Assuming good word of mouth, I could see 700m DOM and 1.1B OS for a 1.8B WW total. The good will of Inside Out 2 and further brand recognition from the massive success of IO2 will definitely benefit IO3. I think it’s the only likely thing to beat it OS and DOM. Shrek 5 is too much of a wild card and I don’t think anything else could beat its massive international and DOMESTIC totals. It’s likely Inside Out 2 could end its run at 1.715B and I don’t see Shrek 5 beating that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

Inside Out 3 would not beat Inside Out 2. Shrek 3 didn’t beat Shrek 2…

Inside Out 2 benefitted from being the first blockbuster in a year which is unlikely to be true for a sequel.

Shrek 3 was poorly received and a step down from the second film. Plus, a lack of blockbusters didn’t get Inside Out 2 to 1.6B. It was good word of mouth and it had heavy competition with Despicable Me 4. I don’t think it’s unlikely Inside Out 3 (with good word of mouth) couldn’t replicate its predecessors success.

But the billion overseas IS wild Can any other animated movie ever does that other one that i Can see IS Frozen 4 even reception IS there Korea isnt a dead market for animated movies even if china decreases it might be helped by latam and some european countries 

2 hours ago, Hades said:

Inside out 2 made what we all thought Incredibles 2 and Frozen 2 would make worldwide......those 2 films poor quality did not help things

Incredibles 2 was not considered a bad movie at the time and in fact made a lot of money DOM. Adjusted for inflation it handily beats Inside Out 2.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Relevation said:

Shrek 5 gonna go for biggest movie OAT domestically, for sure that

Although I would look out for Zootopia 2 or Moana 2 to clear IO2 overseas, but not WW

You think Moana 2 will Make 1 billion overseas that's insane but i Hope so 

Shrek 5 as long as it’s good definitely has a shot. Don’t really think anything else does. 

I3 will probably do I2 numbers, I don’t really see Zootopia going beyond 450 give or take (I always felt like Inside Out was the film that “stuck around” more in the cultural memory anyways). Frozen 3 will probably do slightly more than Frozen 2 numbers, but not enough to dethrone inside out 2.

9 hours ago, Hades said:

Inside out 2 made what we all thought Incredibles 2 and Frozen 2 would make worldwide......those 2 films poor quality did not help things

Who in their right mind expected Incredibles 2 to make $1.6B worldwide???

DOM honestly I wouldn't be shocked with any of the above candidates its WW that's a much bigger question mark with Inside Out 2 going to finish O/U $250M above the next film Frozen 2. 

I think if Shrek 5 doesn't do it then it'll be a very long time. Incredibles 3 would need big growth OS to get anywhere close even with $700M DOM and Frozen 2's somewhat muted increase compared to the first one's DOM gives me pause that even with inflation 3 or 4 gets to $650M + being maxed in Korea/China/Japan. Zootopia 2 has the issue of trying to make up for the China total that will almost certainly decrease + grow everywhere else. 

I'm just glad that animated movies have been on fire again in the last couple of years. After the pandemic there was a worry that people were going to wait to watch animated films at home streaming and not in theaters anymore.

But IO2 and Super Mario Bros. (and the DM franchise) have shown that there can still be a huge appetite for animated films if they're good and audiences care about them.

On 8/24/2024 at 2:38 PM, miketheavenger said:

So, after Inside Out 2's remarkable run breaking all the box office records for animated films, do you think those records will be beaten again within the next few years?

Currently, there are IMO only five candidates that could realistically even come close:

- Moana 2

- Zootopia 2

- Super Mario Bros. 2

- Shrek 5

- Frozen 3

Which one of those do you think has the best chance, if any (assuming they are all well received, of course)?

I think domestically Shrek 5 has the best shot, WW it might be Mario 2.

Edit: I know this is probably way too early to predict considering we don't even know IO2's final totals yet, but I'm just curious what you guys think right now.

As I said

shrek 5 

EASILY