Eric Prime

Labor Day Weekend Thread | Reagan 525K previews, AfrAId 400K

44 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

NWH also had kinda bad legs for XMAS honestly.

The only reason why Spider-Man: No Way Home didn't have better legs was because its second Friday was Christmas Eve. That's not a popular day at all for moviegoing, which contributed to it having a massive second weekend drop (68%)

Had No Way Home's second Friday been Christmas Day (like The Force Awakens), it literally could've been the highest-grossing film of all-time domestically (unadjusted for inflation) and the first ever film to hit $1B domestically. 

Regardless, Spider-Man: No Way Home still pulled in a 3.13x multiple off of its $260M+ opening. That's damn impressive even if it wasn't as leggy as other December openers. We don't need to have a conversation on whether No Way Home was a disappointment. It wasn't in any way shape or form.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Top ranking 600M+ grosser :

1) : Infinity War

2) : Top Gun Maverick

3) : Avengers 1

4) : Black Panther

5) : Barbie

6) : Avatar

7) : IO2

8 : Incredibles 2

9) : D&W

10) : Endgame

11) : Avatar 2

12) : Star Wars 7

13) : NWH

14) : Titanic

15) : Jurassic World

16) : Star Wars 8

One thing people seem to forget about NWH was that it had a free run basically to March with really the only movie of note being Uncharted in Feb. Would argue that offset a lot of the covid aspect. That said bad legs conversation needs to stop. NWH made 260M in it´s OW. Ofc it wasn't going to have a normal 5x multiplier. That´s just natural. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Top ranking 600M+ grosser :

1) : Infinity War

2) : Top Gun Maverick

3) : Avengers 1

4) : Black Panther

5) : Barbie

6) : Avatar

7) : IO2

8 : Incredibles 2

9) : D&W

10) : Endgame

11) : Avatar 2

12) : Star Wars 7

13) : NWH

14) : Titanic

15) : Jurassic World

16) : Star Wars 8

Just looking at that list and realizing how good the movies that grossed 600 million DOM are.  Not a bad movie in the bunch IMO.  I am defender of the Last Jedi and yet I would not argue about putting it last. I would put Barbie last and I still like it but not my type of movie.  

• Like 3

1. Black Panther

2. Titanic

3. Inside Out 2

4. Avengers 1

5. SW: The Force Awakens

6. Avengers Infinity War

7. Jurassic World 

8. Barbie

9. Top Gun Maverick

10. Avatar 2 

11. Avatar 

12. Spider-Man No Way Home 

13. Incredibles 2 

14. Avengers Endgame

15. Deadpool and Wolverine 

16. SW: The Last Jedi 

I have strong feelings on 1-2 and 16. Everything else is good to eh but not overly strong feelings either way. 

Edited by wattage
Adding opinions

2 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

One thing people seem to forget about NWH was that it had a free run basically to March with really the only movie of note being Uncharted in Feb. Would argue that offset a lot of the covid aspect. That said bad legs conversation needs to stop. NWH made 260M in it´s OW. Ofc it wasn't going to have a normal 5x multiplier. That´s just natural. 

Exactly. There's no way a movie opens that big and then has a final multipler like Titanic. At that point, it would literally mean every single person in America (and then some) would see a movie like Spider-Man: No Way Home. As awesome as that would be, that's just not how it works. 

• Like 1

1. Titanic

2. Infinity War

3. Jurassic World

4. The Avengers 

5. Maverick

6. Avatar 2

7. Avatar

8. Endgame

9. Barbie

10. NWH

11. Black Panther

12. Inside Out 2

13. TFA

14. Deadpool 3

15. Incredibles 2

16. TLJ

• Like 1

1. Avengers: Endgame

2. Spider-Man: No Way Home

3. The Avengers

4. Avengers: Infinity War

5. Incredibles 2

6. Black Panther

7. Top Gun: Maverick

8. Deadpool and Wolverine

9. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

10. Titanic

11. Barbie

12. Inside Out 2

13. Avatar: The Way of Water

14. Jurassic World

15. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

16. Avatar

NOTE: I don't think any one of these movies are bad. They range from ok to absolute perfection.

• Like 3

I guess this is no surprise but all the big holdovers have the best Friday increases. That twister increase is absolutely batshit crazy. What a massive success twisters is at least domestically. And seeing north of 100% increase for Deadpool is awesome as well. Inside out and despicable me also have some really nice increases and same with coraline. 

Romulus we'll have no trouble Crossing 100 million. Let's not kid ourselves. And I forget what member here mentioned this but of course domestic matters. It's having a good run in some European countries but they still only get 25% I think it is from China.

• Like 3

1. Endgame

2. Infinity War

3. Deadpool and Wolverine

4. NWH

5. Black Panther 

6. Avengers

7. Top Gun Maverick

8. Avatar 2

9. Barbie

10. The Last Jedi

11. Inside Out 2

12.Avatar

13.Juarrasic World

14. Titanic

15. Force Awakens 

16. Incredibles 2

1-9 is top tier imo.

12-16 is a solid 6/10

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I guess this is no surprise but all the big holdovers have the best Friday increases. That twister increase is absolutely batshit crazy. What a massive success twisters is at least domestically. And seeing north of 100% increase for Deadpool is awesome as well. Inside out and despicable me also have some really nice increases and same with coraline. 

Romulus we'll have no trouble Crossing 100 million. Let's not kid ourselves. And I forget what member here mentioned this but of course domestic matters. It's having a good run in some European countries but they still only get 25% I think it is from China.

In terms of milestones or passing certain things, this weekend is gonna be good on that front. Deadpool and Wolverine will pass $600M domestically, Inside Out 2 will pass The Lion King remake's worldwide total, Despicable Me 4 will pass $900M worldwide, and we'll continue to see more money being added to films like Twisters, Alien: Romulus, It Ends With Us, or even Blink Twice. So happy that film is holding decently and could pull in a respectable gross for the kind of movie it is. 

This weekend really feels like the final sendoff for all the films that have helped this summer recover from the abysmal May. 

• Like 2

I've been trained in the art of admissions by u/AgentCooper315. Here is all $600M DOM movies ranked by admissions:

1. Titanic - 131M*
  2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 90M
  3. Avengers: Endgame - 83.5M
  4. Avatar - 74M*
  5. Spider-Man: No Way Home - 70M*
  6. Black Panther - 69M
  7. Top Gun: Maverick - 68M
  8. Jurassic World - 66M
  9. Avengers: Infinity War - 65M
  10. The Avengers - 65M
  11. Incredibles 2 - 64M
  12. Inside Out 2 - 60M
  13. Barbie - 60M
  14. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 59M
  15. Deadpool & Wolverine - 55M**
  16. Avatar: The Way of Water - 48M

* Original run only

** This is where it will finish at, assuming a finish of ~645M

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 2

Ranked by Letterboxd:

1. Top Gun: Maverick - 3.99/5.00

2. Avengers: Infinity War - 3.97/4.00

3. Avengers: Endgame - 3.88/5.00

4. Spider-Man: No Way Home - 3.84/5.00

5. Barbie - 3.84/5.00

6. Titanic - 3.81/5.00

7. Inside Out 2 - 3.68/5.00

8. The Avengers - 3.65/5.00

9. Black Panther - 3.65/5.00

10. Avatar: The Way of Water - 3.61/5.00

11. Deadpool & Wolverine - 3.60/5.00

12. Avatar - 3.59/5.00

13. Incredibles 2 - 3.44/5.00

14. Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 3.30/5.00

15. Jurassic World - 3.03/5.00

16. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 2.96/5.00

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Ranked by Letterboxd:

5. Barbie - 3.84/5.00

6. Titanic - 3.81/5.00

12. Avatar - 3.59/5.00

Endgame has Like that on letterboxd thats insane 😭 

5 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Ranked by Letterboxd:

5. Barbie - 3.84/5.00

6. Titanic - 3.81/5.00

12. Avatar - 3.59/5.00

Pretty good

but IMO Jurassic World is too low. It's a very fun time and a great popcorn movie.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Ryan C said:

The only reason why Spider-Man: No Way Home didn't have better legs was because its second Friday was Christmas Eve. That's not a popular day at all for moviegoing, which contributed to it having a massive second weekend drop (68%)

Had No Way Home's second Friday been Christmas Day (like The Force Awakens), it literally could've been the highest-grossing film of all-time domestically (unadjusted for inflation) and the first ever film to hit $1B domestically. 

Regardless, Spider-Man: No Way Home still pulled in a 3.13x multiple off of its $260M+ opening. That's damn impressive even if it wasn't as leggy as other December openers. We don't need to have a conversation on whether No Way Home was a disappointment. It wasn't in any way shape or form.

One day is going to add $200 mil boxoffice? Christmas Eve does mean a bad 2nd weekend drop but that doesn't really make much of a difference in the long run.

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

One day is going to add $200 mil boxoffice? Christmas Eve does mean a bad 2nd weekend drop but that doesn't really make much of a difference in the long run.

Thing is, that would make sense. How does one day make that much of a diiference? However, history has shown us that if you release a massive blockbuster in December and the days allign just right, you're in for a massive run at the box office.

Go back to To Force Awakens. It opened on December 18th and its second Friday was Christmas Day (a big moviegoing day). Since reception to the film was fantastic and the days aligned right, it only dropped 40% in its second weekend. 

No Way Home arguably had even better reception from audiences than The Force Awakens (It got an A+ on Cinemascore compared to TFA's A) and opened slightly higher than that film ($260M to $247M). No Way Home would've easily had a much stronger second weekend hold had its second Friday been Christmas Day and not Christmas Eve and as we saw with The Force Awakens (which continued to hold well throughtout December and into January) No Way Home would've held just as well. Also, No Way Home had pretty much no competition until The Batman in March, so that's why I said it could've gotten close or maybe even topped $1B domestically. It would've played just as long if not more so than TFA

Maybe I'm not making sense by saying all of this, but I'm still sticking to my guns that if No Way Home's second Friday was Christmas Day, it would've been the highest-grossing film of all-time domestically. I'm not going to act like this isn't weird, but one day really does make a difference. 

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So is IO2 beating JW DOM and TLK WW?

it’s basically locked. Like it’s going to pass Lion King this weekend WW and it’ll take until at least next weekend to surpass Jurassic World if it doesn’t do it this weekend. So yes, it’s happening. 

the real question is if it has enough in the tank to get to 1.7B

• Like 1