AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

10 hours ago, Migs20242 said:

IO2 is expected to pass DPW overall starting Day 46 tomorrow.

IO2’s numbers still feel insane to me. I’ve heard very little about this movie and yet it’s made more than Barbie from last year, and I literally couldn’t escape that movie.

I mean, 90% of the sutff that came out in 2023, inside out and now Beetlejuice? Starting to think I ain’t that good at guessing what’s gonna be popular 

Edited by CheeseWizard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaz said:

I got that VHS for Christmas in 1992 and wore it OUT. It’s now essential Christmas season viewing every season.

It had a 12 rating in the UK and a 15 on VHS. 

I saw it aged 12 on opening weekend and then at Christmas my local retailer wouldn’t let me buy it as it was a 15. 

“I saw it at the cinema and now I’m not old enough to watch it in pan and scan on my 13 inch Sony trinitron?”

the farce of films in the U.K. having different certificates for theatrical and video release went on for years and years. 

• ...wtf 1

31 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

IO2’s numbers still feel insane to me. I’ve heard very little about this movie and yet it’s made more than Barbie from last year, and I literally couldn’t escape that movie.

I mean, 90% of the sutff that came out in 2023, inside out and now Beetlejuice? Starting to think I ain’t that good at guessing what’s gonna be popular 

Barbie marketing and Barbenheimer phenomenon was much more in your face.

Pretty much all the families went to see IO2 because the orginal IO is so beloved, though there was some ads shrilling McDonald's and Uber.

Unpredictability is what keeps the box office interesting and the pundits humble. Everyone has their own bubbles and perspectives, it's just being able to have that self awareness is the key to good faith discourse 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

It had a 12 rating in the UK and a 15 on VHS. 

I saw it aged 12 on opening weekend and then at Christmas my local retailer wouldn’t let me buy it as it was a 15. 

“I saw it at the cinema and now I’m not old enough to watch it in pan and scan on my 13 inch Sony trinitron?”

the farce of films in the U.K. having different certificates for theatrical and video release went on for years and years. 

I remember reading about yalls rating issues! That’s crazy. The MPAA isn’t perfect but at least they didn’t change ratings from the theater to home video.

Didn't understand the parent outage back then, compared to now when The Batman is way more violent and parent groups don't make a fuss. I guess everyone is desensitized to violence now after the 100th PG-13 superhero film.

11 minutes ago, Chaz said:

I remember reading about yalls rating issues! That’s crazy. The MPAA isn’t perfect but at least they didn’t change ratings from the theater to home video.

Yup. 

we had a rock solid 12 for many years (ironically introduced for 1989’s Batman). 

Parents couldn’t take their kids to see a 12 if they were under that age. Unlike the US system where you guys can take a kid to see anything from G to R. 

I remember Mrs Doubtfire getting a 12 in 1993 and then getting a limited run of an edited PG version released a couple of months later so kids could see it. Lmao. 

Then the studios put pressure on the BBFC (our version of the MPAA) and eventually they changed the 12 to 12A.  Which is basically a PG -13.  That didn’t happen until the early 00’s if I remember correctly. 

You still can’t see a 15 or 18 with an adult if you’re under that age.  Which I’m kind of in agreement with if I’m honest. 

That Americans can take their little kids to see Deadpool is just wild to us. 

Edited by wildphantom

19 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Didn't understand the parent outage back then, compared to now when The Batman is way more violent and parent groups don't make a fuss. I guess everyone is desensitized to violence now after the 100th PG-13 superhero film.

It was mainly the sexual content. It's always the sexual content. You can show a character maiming and killing hundreds of bad guys, but if you dare to have a nakey, or even less than that in cases where a character is LGBT, then it's too much for these poor innocent children.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric Deetz said:

It was mainly the sexual content. It's always the sexual content. You can show a character maiming and killing hundreds of bad guys, but if you dare to have a nakey, or even less than that in cases where a character is LGBT, then it's too much for these poor innocent children.

Catwoman licking Batman and Penguin groping that lady. Burton was such a pervert when doing the movie. I was more amused than offended. lol

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

https://deadline.com/2024/09/box-office-beetlejuice-beetlejuice-1236079763/

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice came in better than expected at $111M after a solid Sunday of $27.4M, -34%. Warner Bros owns four out of the five top openings for September. The pic cost $100M before P&A.

MAH BOIS

Beetlejuice 

Heathers 

Edward Scissorhands 

Bram Stoker's Dracula 
The Age of Innocence 

Reality Bites 

Little Women 

That was some run she had between 1988 and 1994. After that things began to fall apart, long before the overblown shoplifting scandal, but if you are old enough to remember her peak you know what she means to so many people. She was cool and popular but not Julia Roberts level popular, which only added to her appeal. Things and people who are too popular are not cool. Winona was on the always on the brink and that's what added to her appeal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CheeseWizard said:

Well it's a movie aimed at children / families, pretty easy to avoid hearing about it if you don't hang out with kids.

I can’t say I am totally surprised by Io2 number. Was expecting around 1bn but it blow up to 1.7b, but that is not without sign. Months before I heard people in my office talk about IO2, I mean , if you heard working adult talking about a particular movie, that movie has already well transcend into general public. That is what I call real world buzz.

Whereas Flash or furiosa were more of an online talk but if you mixed around with real human , nobody actually talked about them, especially in an unaided manner. 

59 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Beetlejuice 

Heathers 

Edward Scissorhands 

Bram Stoker's Dracula 
The Age of Innocence 

Reality Bites 

Little Women 

That was some run she had between 1988 and 1994. After that things began to fall apart, long before the overblown shoplifting scandal, but if you are old enough to remember her peak you know what she means to so many people. She was cool and popular but not Julia Roberts level popular, which only added to her appeal. Things and people who are too popular are not cool. Winona was on the always on the brink and that's what added to her appeal. 

I will always have a soft spot for Alien:Resurrection for her being in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flopped said:

Beetlejuice 

Heathers 

Edward Scissorhands 

Bram Stoker's Dracula 
The Age of Innocence 

Reality Bites 

Little Women 

Night on Earth was a great movie in that run too. Also Mermaids which is just like a 6/10 movie but I think that's probably her best performance.

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Yup. 

we had a rock solid 12 for many years (ironically introduced for 1989’s Batman). 

Parents couldn’t take their kids to see a 12 if they were under that age. Unlike the US system where you guys can take a kid to see anything from G to R. 

I remember Mrs Doubtfire getting a 12 in 1993 and then getting a limited run of an edited PG version released a couple of months later so kids could see it. Lmao. 

Then the studios put pressure on the BBFC (our version of the MPAA) and eventually they changed the 12 to 12A.  Which is basically a PG -13.  That didn’t happen until the early 00’s if I remember correctly. 

You still can’t see a 15 or 18 with an adult if you’re under that age.  Which I’m kind of in agreement with if I’m honest. 

That Americans can take their little kids to see Deadpool is just wild to us. 

I was at Ed Fringe last month and it was crazy how many 8-10 year olds I was seeing at late night clearly 21+ intended shows.