Krissykins

Weekend Thread Sept 20th-22nd

6 hours ago, Ryan C said:

Yeah, but I also think there is a clear  distinction between people who maybe go the movies a few times a year/aren't obsessing about the current state of Hollywood and the people who constantly complain about Hollywood's reliance on sequels and franchise but never show up when Hollywood gives them something else. 

I would never get mad at the average person who goes to the movies a few times a year, see whatever they want to see, and don't complain about the state of cinema because it's clear that those people just want to go to the theater whenever they feel like it and don't live or die by movies. They have other things to worry about and I can understand that. 

On the other hand, I will absolutely be upset at the people (most of them online) who say that Hollywood is doomed, but actively do nothing to really change the current system. Instead, they either complain about the latest installment in a popular franchise they saw or obsess over how much a movie (original or not) flops. Those kinds of people are legitimately hypocritical and should be called out for that because they are doing nothing to actually help Hollywood and their obsession with IP. 

Yeah the important thing is that people whining online about wanting more originality are actually a huge minority, which is why they end up flopping in reality

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

23 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Yeah the important thing is that people whining online about wanting more originality are actually a huge minority, which is why they end up flopping in reality

People are going to whine the Substance isn't doing better, but that type of horror is not as popular.

Terrifier is what is considered "original" and more popular type of horror and 3 will do much better. The first only made $400k and got a much more successful sequel which made $15M.

Edited by Mojoguy

If anyone wants reason to be optimistic about the box office…

Next Monday is a federal holiday in Canada (it’s new, only the last few years). But if the past few years have been any indicator, Sunday drop and Monday hold for pretty much all movies, but especially family-targeted movies (aka Wild Robot, and probably to an extent TOne) will be very, very strong here. Maybe not enough to move the needle a ton, but definitely will be a factor.

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol Jeff Snieder finally deleted his twitter account. The lead up to it all was very funny

So many memories - regularly commenting about the boxing match with Uwe Boll and how unfair it was, threatening to commit suicide because he lost out on the exclusive breaking of Nolan doing Interstellar, saying that he will report trolls to the Chattanooga FBI office. Even by Twitter standards, his account was something else 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If anyone wants reason to be optimistic about the box office…

Next Monday is a federal holiday in Canada (it’s new, only the last few years). But if the past few years have been any indicator, Sunday drop and Monday hold for pretty much all movies, but especially family-targeted movies (aka Wild Robot, and probably to an extent TOne) will be very, very strong here. Maybe not enough to move the needle a ton, but definitely will be a factor.

For the curious (this will be Monday of next week, 9 days out rather than 2):

2021 Thursday v2 previews, can’t make out an effect since everything drops from the large previews https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/daily/2021/09/30

2022 Friday no detectable effect imo but hard to tell on Fridays https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/daily/2022/09/30

2023 Saturday same deal https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/daily/2023/09/30  

so this will be the first detectable effect

DPW will also be inflated ~25% or so next Wednesday (4 days not 11)

14 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

The most impressive part about Deadpool's $1.345B total ($640M DOM + $705M OS) is how little is coming from China.

The WW-China-Russia number is going to be around $1.290B. 

On 1/17/2022 at 8:01 AM, MG10 said:

I created this thread because I noticed that in addition to being able to easily know the gross of a film excluding USA and Canada (overseas/international gross), we also have a thread dedicated to the highest grossing movies excluding USA and China, but not one excluding China only

I think it makes sense also because it isn't only a very big market, at this point equal to the US, but it has grown very quickly so even "recent" films from just 10 years ago couldn't benefit from this market as much as those released more recently, making comparisons much more difficult. Here is the list:

1) Avatar: $2.660 Billion

2) Avengers: Endgame: $2.168 Billion

3) Titanic: $2.104 Billion

4) Avatar: The Way of Water: $2.074 Billion

5) Star Wars: The Force Awakens: $1.944 Billion

6) Spider Man: No Way Home: $1.917 Billion

7) Avengers: Infinity War: $1.678 Billion

8)Inside Out 2: $1.635 Billion

9) The Lion King: $1.537 Billion

10) Top Gun Maverick: $1.493 Billion

11) Jurassic World: $1.442 Billion

12) The Avengers: $1.433 Billion

13) Barbie: $1.410 Billion

14) Super Mario Bros: $1.337 Billion

15) Frozen II: $1.328 Billion

16) Star Wars: The Last Jedi: $1.290 Billion

17) Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows 2: $1.281 Billion

18) Deadpool & Wolverine: $1.1247 Billion

19) Black Panther: $1.242 Billion

20) Frozen: $1.233 Billion

21) The Incredibles 2: $1.192 Billion

22) Beauty and the Beast: $1.178 Billion

23) The Avengers: Age Of Ultron: $1.163 Billion

24) The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: $1.132 Billion

25) Furious 7: $1.124 Billion

26) Iron-Man 3: $1.094 Billion

27) Minions: $1.091 Billion

28) Joker: $1.074 Billion

29) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest: $1.066 Billion

30) Toy Story 3: $1.057 Billion

31) Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker: $1.054 Billion

32) Skyfall: $1.049 Billion

33) Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: $1.048 Billion

34) Toy Story 4: $1.044 Billion

35) The Dark Knight Rises: $1.028 Billion

36) Alice in Wonderland: $1.025 Billion

37) Star Wars: The Phantom Menace: $1.023 Billion

38) The Dark Knight: $1.005 Billion

17th WW-C vs 19th WW overall, pretty similar. Looks like it will be one place over DH2 on both lists funny enough

Edited by Cooper Legion

6 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

17th WW-C vs 19th WW overall, pretty similar. Looks like it will be one place over DH2 on both lists funny enough

Why is the DOM increase over Deadpool 2 so much more than the OS-China-Russia increase? 

Deadpool 2 - $318M DOM / $394M OS-China-Russia

Deadpool 3 - $640M DOM / $650M OS-China-Russia

It's more than doubling Deadpool 2 domestically but "only" increasing 65% OS-China-Russia

And, unrelated, but Avatar 1's OS-China number ($1.8B) is absolutely fucking insane. . .

Edited by HummingLemon496

23 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The Substance is so good. Feels nice to watch little freaky movies in a sold out screening, wish it happens more. 

My screening was packed too but I'm in LA. Regardless of theatrical performance, it will become a genuine cult classic. I just hope it ends up streaming where people can actually watch it, not just MUBI cuz who has that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The Substance is so good. Feels nice to watch little freaky movies in a sold out screening, wish it happens more. 

I concur. 

What's funny is that when I saw it earlier today, there was one person who thought about walking out and that was actually me. 

I'm sorry (and no spoilers), but once there was a certain choice that a character makes (iykyk) that leads to a batshit crazy last 20 or so minutes, I thought about walking about because I was so uncomfortable just knowing where that choice was going to lead to. If there's anything I hate more, it's feeling uncomfortable (especially in a movie theater), but even I knew I couldn't be "That guy" who walked out of The Substance. 

So I stayed and then once it was over, I just thought to myself "Oh, wouldn't this be such a lovely movie to watch with your mom or girlfriend." Of course, I'm joking, but I was just laughing at the prospect of watching this movie with people who aren't into the body horror subgenre and not even just that, but that genre on literal cocaine. 

That's the perfect way to describe The Substance and for as much as it did gross me out and left me super uncomfortable at times, it's an experience that you have to see in a theater or else it wouldn't be as effective. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Flopped said:

not just MUBI cuz who has that. 

I signed a full year 😭 

Their catalogue is generally superb, great work of curation. Just saw Crossing by Levan Akin, gorgeous movie.

But yes The Substance feels a tad different  in appeal for them and seems like it could be a way bigger deal than their usual releases.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I concur. 

What's funny is that when I saw it earlier today, there was one person who thought about walking out and that was actually me. 

I'm sorry (and no spoilers), but once there was a certain choice that a character makes (iykyk) that leads to a batshit crazy last 20 or so minutes, I thought about walking about because I was so uncomfortable just knowing where that choice was going to lead to. If there's anything I hate more, it's feeling uncomfortable (especially in a movie theater), but even I knew I couldn't be "That guy" who walked out of The Substance. 

So I stayed and then once it was over, I just thought to myself "Oh, wouldn't this be such a lovely movie to watch with your mom or girlfriend." Of course, I'm joking, but I was just laughing at the prospect of watching this movie with people who aren't into the body horror subgenre and not even just that, but that genre on literal cocaine. 

That's the perfect way to describe The Substance and for as much as it did gross me out and left me super uncomfortable at times, it's an experience that you have to see in a theater or else it wouldn't be as effective. 

Yeah it’s a bad feeling to have while watching but weirdly it’s fun to experience it too.

I watched with my husband, our jaws dropped during the entire climax while the audience was laughing hard of discomfort. It’s this type of collective experience that a home view will never provide, and it’s even better because it ‘s an original movie so you’re not really prepared for it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Why is the DOM increase over Deadpool 2 so much more than the OS-China-Russia increase? 

Deadpool 2 - $318M DOM / $394M OS-China-Russia

Deadpool 3 - $640M DOM / $650M OS-China-Russia

It's more than doubling Deadpool 2 domestically but "only" increasing 65% OS-China-Russia

And, unrelated, but Avatar 1's OS-China number ($1.8B) is absolutely fucking insane. . .

Nostalgia bait works way better on Americans then it does OS. 

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah it’s a bad feeling to have while watching but weirdly it’s fun to experience it too.

I watched with my husband, our jaws dropped during the entire climax while the audience was laughing hard of discomfort. It’s this type of collective experience that a home view will never provide, and it’s even better because it ‘s an original movie so you’re not really prepared for it.

I literally wasn't expecting it in the slightest. 

I actually only saw the trailer for the movie once (maybe twice), so I didn't even really have any idea I was getting into outside of just hearing all the buzz and praise it's been getting at film festivals. Any imagery I had remembered of the movie before I went to see it completely vanished, which is probably what made everything so shocking and grotesque. 

Still, it worked in affecting me and that's something that only the best horror movies have done so far this year. The Substance is right up there with Longlegs and I Saw the TV Glow in terms of experiences that left me either completely uncomfortable or feeling like I watched something that I shouldn't even be near, but for all the reasons that the filmmakers probably intended.  

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 1