filmpalace

Weekend Thread | October 11 - 13

4 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

You know what I just take solace in the fact that the people who vote him in again  are going to suffer just as much if not more than the rest of us no matter how much they tell themselves otherwise.  Let it happen. They are in for a rude awkening.

Not that it matters. If anything, Trumpers (and Republicans in general) love that suffering if it means gays and illegals and whatever suffer even worse.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's not sarcastic!!! I have intentionally not been negative for months and months but it's just too much to hide at this point. I am sick of watching everything I love and care about be wiped around. This world gets shittier and more filled with disgusting slop every day. I don't understand how people that love art, that love truth, that love empathy and humanity make it through these days. The world is becoming an unbearable place. Donald Trump is currently thriving in the polls as his supporters spread rumors about weather weapons and FEMA (he's going to win btw, just like I called on here in 2016). The Hollywood Reporter put out a story on "influences" being the new Hollywood. Podcasters are bigger movie stars than movie stars. I went to places like Capri and up the Willis Tower this summer and all anyone was doing was taking the same vapid pictures posing in the same way as suggested on Instagram. Everything sucks now. Dead ass serious.

I mean you obviously weren't dead ass serious saying you wanted studios to stop investing in small budget movies. And if you were then I don't really know why you're continuing to despair.

But I'm not really interested in getting bogged down in a semantics debate when there are clearly much deeper personal perspective issues here. It's not saying anything new at this point but I honestly do find it pretty easy to tune everything out moderating my social media intake. I still keep up with the news and feel pretty informed, but I don't really think my life is enriched much knowing about whatever the latest bad thing Trump said was and all the reactions to it. Nothing I can do about the election or the polls right now and it's a beautiful day outside, so I'm gonna try to enjoy what I can while I have it.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 12

Deadline finally got their top 10 up

1. Terrifier 3 (Icon/Cinev) 2,514 theaters, Fri $8.2M, 3-day $17M-$18M/Wk 1
  2. The Wild Robot (DWA/Uni) 3,854 (-143) theaters, Fri $3.8M (-23%) 3-day $13.8M (-27%), Total $84.1M/Wk 3
  3. Beetlejuice Beetlejuice (WB) 3,408 (-168) theaters, Fri $1.95M (-29%) 3-day $7.3M (-28%) Total $275.8M/Wk 6
  4. Joker: Folie à Deux (WB) 4,102 theaters, Fri $2.2M (-89%), 3-day $6.7M-$7M (-82%), Total $51.55M/Wk 2
  5. Transformers One (Par) 2,758 (-348) theaters, Fri $1M 3-day $4.1M (-23%), Total $53.3M/Wk 4
  6. Piece by Piece (Foc) 1,865 theaters, Fri $1.49M, $3.5M/Wk 1
  7. Saturday Night (Sony) 2,309 (+2,288) theaters, Fri $1.3M (+1200%) 3-day $3.7M-$4M (+1381%), Total $4.45M-$4.76M/Wk 3
  8. My Hero Academia: You’re Next (Toho) 1,845 theaters, Fri $1.36M, 3-day $3M/Wk 1
  9. Nightmare Before Christmas (Dis) 1,700 theaters, Fri $759K 3-day $2.1M Lifetime cume $89.76M/Wk 1 (re)
  10. Speak No Evil (Uni) 1,602 (-677) theaters Fri $450K (-46%) 3-day $1.5M (-46%), Total $35.2M/Wk 5
  11. The Apprentice (Briar) 1,740 theaters, Fri $585K, 3-day $1.5M/Wk 1

Really hope Disney will go back to having Nightmare Before Christmas as an annual Halloween release as God intended. We're just 2 or 3 more re-releases away from the movie finally hitting 100M!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I actually do think major things were working against both Saturday Night and Apprentice, but it's the fact that everything fails as always that gets to me. Like, Conclave has 15 million trailer views and is an incredibly accessible thriller. Back in the days of King's Speech making 120m domestic, it would have done at least like....50m. Now it won't even do 20.

Because back in the days of King's Speech there was no streaming, a trip to the theater didn't cost so much, there was less competition for the audiences' attention. Yeah, people just don't go to "the movies" to pass the time anymore like they used to. Which means marketing departments need to be more creative in getting and holding on to their attention, as opposed to doing the same things they did 10-15 years ago and wondering why it doesn't deliver the same results anymore. A24 and Neon have been able to do this - usually with more genre-y offerings so far, but I do think Anora is going to make a lot more than 5m. 

But personal and original films will always be made, because people will always want to express and stretch themselves. Seek things out, watch them however you can, enjoy what you enjoy and spread the word. Wanna feel inspired today? Sit down and watch Hundreds of Beavers.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Because back in the days of King's Speech there was no streaming, a trip to the theater didn't cost so much, there was less competition for the audiences' attention. Yeah, people just don't go to "the movies" to pass the time anymore like they used to. Which means marketing departments need to be more creative in getting and holding on to their attention, as opposed to doing the same things they did 10-15 years ago and wondering why it doesn't deliver the same results anymore. A24 and Neon have been able to do this - usually with more genre-y offerings so far, but I do think Anora is going to make a lot more than 5m. 

But personal and original films will always be made, because people will always want to express and stretch themselves. Seek things out, watch them however you can, enjoy what you enjoy and spread the word. Wanna feel inspired today? Sit down and watch Hundreds of Beavers.

I am probably not alone in this and this is the current problem  facing things is say for example a movie like Saturday Night. I was interested but all the theaters closest to me are 15-20 minutes away at least and when the movie belly flops the way it is it  takes the enthusiasm  away to get the in the car and use up gas to go spend 13 bucks or whatever to see something that will be on netflix probably by Christmas now.  The next  movie I feel that way about way is Conclave. Hopefully it breaks out a little and I am compelled to go see it in a theater.      

1 hour ago, Eric the Clown said:

Deadline finally got their top 10 up

Really hope Disney will go back to having Nightmare Before Christmas as an annual Halloween release as God intended. We're just 2 or 3 more re-releases away from the movie finally hitting 100M!

Saturday Night's performance was predictable. But I still hoped for some small miracle for my cup of tea.

Edited by KeepItU25071906

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

What do y’all think WB executives believed was the worst case scenario for Joker 2 after the first one made a billion dollars? I bet they figured $400M worldwide as a nightmare scenario, but turns out it will come up way short of that number. Lol

I'm guessing worst case=500 mil worldwide from what they thought.

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

I mean you obviously weren't dead ass serious saying you wanted studios to stop investing in small budget movies. And if you were then I don't really know why you're continuing to despair.

But I'm not really interested in getting bogged down in a semantics debate when there are clearly much deeper personal perspective issues here. It's not saying anything new at this point but I honestly do find it pretty easy to tune everything out moderating my social media intake. I still keep up with the news and feel pretty informed, but I don't really think my life is enriched much knowing about whatever the latest bad thing Trump said was and all the reactions to it. Nothing I can do about the election or the polls right now and it's a beautiful day outside, so I'm gonna try to enjoy what I can while I have it.

I work in politics and spend every weekend organizing and helping candidates in a state that the New York Times has as a hopeless Trump +13, so I unfortunately use these boards for catharsis because I have to put on a happy face and get people motivated even though I know behind the facade how fucked things are. I do recognize this is annoying though and thus apologize in advance.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's not sarcastic!!! I have intentionally not been negative for months and months but it's just too much to hide at this point. I am sick of watching everything I love and care about be wiped around. This world gets shittier and more filled with disgusting slop every day. I don't understand how people that love art, that love truth, that love empathy and humanity make it through these days. The world is becoming an unbearable place. Donald Trump is currently thriving in the polls as his supporters spread rumors about weather weapons and FEMA (he's going to win btw, just like I called on here in 2016). The Hollywood Reporter put out a story on "influences" being the new Hollywood. Podcasters are bigger movie stars than movie stars. I went to places like Capri and up the Willis Tower this summer and all anyone was doing was taking the same vapid pictures posing in the same way as suggested on Instagram. Everything sucks now. Dead ass serious.

The world has always been a shit show with some small and localized purple stretches here and there. How localized? A lot of the external policies that made north America thrive last century during the cold war literally completely messed up my part of the world throwing it to the almost-literal wolves(dictators) again and again and again, fun to think about it, isn't it?

The key for happiness as a good person is knowing how to compartmentalize and mentally separate your pursuit for personal happiness from your constant pursuit of a better world for everyone.

Honestly, it's not easy, but it has never ever been easy to be a good person in this world, I just think social media and internet in general is simply making the bad parts easier to see and harder to ignore.

• Like 9