filmpalace

Weekend Thread | October 11 - 13

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Joker 2.8-2.9M sat probably. Weekend below 7.

It's been holding worse than the first one this second weekend but only slightly

Joker                           Joker 2

Friday            +103.6%                        +94.8%

Saturday        +30.9%                          +29.5%  (assuming 2.85m)

Sunday           -24%                                 ???

Joker 2 would need to drop by 32% or more to miss 7 million which seems doable. But even with the same Sunday drop as the first movie it will still drop 81% from last weekend. So a drop in the 80's is very likely, but I am sure WB is going to fudge like last weekend to have a 7 in front rather than an 8.

Would have loved to see Terrifier hit 20M, but an OW in the high teens is still phenomenal for it, considering the second movie ended its domestic run at 10M. Curious to know what budget Damien Leone will get for the 4th movie. 3 had just a 2M production budget. Imagine what he could do with a 10M budget...

Edited by filmpalace

Is a -27% drop for TFOne good? Comparing it to other similar films/September flicks, the only stuff with drastically better drops were Cloudy 1 at -16%, Hotel Transylvania 1 at -14%, Trolls 3 at -19%, Smallfoot at -26% and Open Season at -23%. 

Am starting to wonder if I should take out hotel Transylvania out of the equation considering it’s much higher box office, and trolls 3 cus it’s a Christmas flick. 

I asked ChatGPT to write a sequel to Joker and this is what it came up with. It's short on specifics but seems like a good story to me. It has Harley Quinn, a teenage Batman as well as Rupert Thorne. One particular thing i liked about this is the use of Thorne's character who exploits peoples fear to secure power for himself and turn into an authoritarian and ruthless leader. Very apt for current political climate

No spoilers from the actual Joker 2 movies in this

Spoiler

Writing a sequel to Joker would be a fascinating challenge, especially given the unique tone and psychological depth of the first film. For a sequel, I’d focus on further exploring the Joker's influence on Gotham and the rise of chaos, while also diving deeper into his complex psychology and how his actions affect the city's society. Here's a rough idea of the story and script framework:

Title: Joker: Requiem of Chaos

Setting:

The story is set two years after the events of Joker (2019). Gotham City is in a state of flux—riots have subsided, but the city is now more corrupt and divided than ever. Arthur Fleck (Joker) has become an underground symbol of rebellion, but he’s in hiding, unsure of what he has truly unleashed. The Wayne murders, which occurred during the riots in the first film, have set the stage for new players to emerge, including a young Bruce Wayne, grieving and grappling with the chaos that has enveloped his life.

Tone:

The sequel would continue the dark, gritty, and grounded tone of the first film, focusing more on psychological tension, political upheaval, and social disorder. The chaos Arthur inspired has spread beyond him, but as we explore how the movement has evolved, the film will reflect on questions of leadership, power, and anarchy.

Plot:

Act 1: The Ripple Effect

• Gotham is struggling under new waves of unrest, led by groups claiming to follow Joker’s ideals—anarchy, freedom, and chaos. However, these groups are much more organized and dangerous than Arthur had intended.
  • Arthur is still suffering from deep delusions and hallucinations, but now he’s tormented by the fact that his symbol has been hijacked. While he hides in Gotham’s underworld, he is both revered and feared as a legend.
  • A new figure emerges—Harley Quinzel, a young, rebellious psychologist working in Arkham, who is intrigued by the Joker’s story. After learning about him, she becomes obsessed and eventually seeks him out, believing she can “fix” or “understand” him.

Act 2: Gotham’s New Face of Power

• As chaos mounts, a charismatic politician named Rupert Thorne rises to power, using the unrest to justify an increasingly authoritarian grip over Gotham. He promises to restore order, but his methods are brutal and corrupt. Thorne’s personal ambition is to control Gotham’s crime syndicates, making him a parallel to Joker’s chaotic rule.
  • Harley finds Arthur and begins a strange, toxic relationship with him. Their dynamic mirrors the broken, unstable psyche of Gotham itself. Harley’s obsession turns into a deluded affection for the Joker, while Arthur sees her as an amusing new “sidekick,” but one that feeds into his dangerous sense of identity.

Act 3: The Puppet Master

• Joker starts to realize the power he holds—not as a leader of riots, but as a symbol of Gotham’s fractured soul. He orchestrates more chaos, not by leading directly, but by manipulating factions against one another. His goal is no longer just to watch Gotham burn, but to shape its destruction like a twisted artist.
  • As tensions rise, Bruce Wayne makes his first real appearance as a teenager grappling with the loss of his parents. He becomes involved in a new campaign to fight corruption, spurred by the death of his parents in the riots Joker indirectly caused. The Wayne legacy is challenged, as Bruce wrestles with whether to become a hero or succumb to revenge.

Climax:

• Joker orchestrates an elaborate plan to bring both Thorne’s regime and the rebellion under his control, forcing a final, violent confrontation between Gotham’s elites, criminals, and the oppressed. Gotham teeters on the edge of complete collapse.
  • In the chaos, Harley takes on the mantle of Harley Quinn, embracing full madness, and standing by Joker as his accomplice. However, her erratic behavior shows signs of her becoming more than just a sidekick; she’s a wild card that Joker might not be able to control.
  • Bruce witnesses the extent of the Joker’s destruction firsthand, solidifying his desire to bring justice to Gotham. His transformation into Batman is foreshadowed but not fully realized.

Resolution:

• Joker’s ultimate plan isn’t a single act of violence, but a revelation—he reveals to the world that Gotham’s chaos is the natural order. His “revolution” is meant to prove that human beings, when pushed to their limits, will always choose anarchy over order.
  • As the city burns, Joker fades back into the shadows, leaving Gotham to tear itself apart. His legacy is no longer tied to his physical presence—he’s become an idea, a force that the city cannot escape.
  • The final scene shows a broken yet determined Bruce Wayne standing amidst the ruins, vowing to stop the madness. The birth of Batman is implied, but not shown.

Themes:

1. Psychological and Social Chaos: How do people respond to a figure like Joker, who embodies chaos? This film would explore the power of symbols, mob mentality, and the consequences of Joker’s ideas.
  2. Corruption and Power: While Joker symbolizes chaos, the sequel would introduce figures like Rupert Thorne, who exploit the chaos for their own gain, mirroring real-world struggles between anarchy and authoritarianism.
  3. Identity and Madness: The Joker’s relationship with Harley Quinn would serve as a twisted mirror of his own internal struggle—he is not just a man anymore, but an idea, a representation of madness itself.

Key Characters:

• Arthur Fleck / Joker: Now fully realizing his power as an instigator, he embraces his role as a symbol but grapples with the consequences of being a figurehead.
  • Harley Quinzel / Harley Quinn: A young psychologist who becomes fascinated by Joker, eventually descending into madness as his lover and partner-in-crime.
  • Bruce Wayne: A teenager who begins to grapple with his family’s legacy and the responsibility of restoring order to Gotham, marking his first steps toward becoming Batman.
  • Rupert Thorne: A ruthless politician who uses the city’s chaos to secure his own power, exploiting the people’s fear of the Joker.

The sequel would continue the blend of psychological depth, social commentary, and character-driven storytelling that made the first Joker film so compelling. Rather than a straightforward rise to power, this film would explore how Joker becomes a force of nature, a figure that transcends Arthur Fleck and becomes Gotham’s embodiment of chaos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Joker 2.8-2.9M sat probably. Weekend below 7.

Thats incredible.  It's pacing behind Halloween Ends (a day and date release).  I don't think it'll get a little Sunday bump with Monday being a holiday.  It's being completely rejected by the audience. 

82% 2nd weekend drop.  A final domestic gross of only 17% of the first movie.  Ive followed the box office for 15+ years and never seen a collapse like this.  The toxic word of mouth spread like wildfire.  

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

I asked ChatGPT to write a sequel to Joker and this is what it came up with. It's short on specifics but seems like a good story to me. It has Harley Quinn, a teenage Batman as well as Rupert Thorne. One particular thing i liked about this is the use of Thorne's character who exploits peoples fear to secure power for himself and turn into an authoritarian and ruthless leader. Very apt for current political climate

No spoilers from the actual Joker 2 movies in this

Reveal hidden contents

Although short on actual plot details, this is literally a variation of what people expected from this sequel. It's so obvious that even ChatGPT knows it, which begs the question of what the fuck Todd Phillips thought he was accomplishing with what he actually made.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I know this is a biased article by design but that first paragraph is incredibly daft.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wattage said:

Joker debuted in some more markets this weekend didn't it? It might scrape by 200 ww like the Marvels did. Maybe. 

Did The Marvels pass 200M WW though? According to the-numbers.com it made $199,706,25 but according to boxofficemojo the final total was  $206,136,825. Who to believe?

12 minutes ago, DInky said:

Did The Marvels pass 200M WW though? According to the-numbers.com it made $199,706,25 but according to boxofficemojo the final total was  $206,136,825. Who to believe?

BOM is more trustworthy with their numbers compared to The-numbers. Trades and the other sources online also report the 200+ number

• Like 3

I read the other day that Todd Phillips and Bradley Cooper's partnership had ended a while back which would explain one's absence from the credits of recent projects (Phillips was a producer on BCoop's A Star Is Born and was initially listed among the big names that produced Maestro but ultimately wasn't credited on it, while Cooper was one of the producers on Joker 1 but wasn't involved with this). Perhaps Phillips really did take a "fuck it I'm burning it all to the ground" attitude because he's about to join Tom Hooper and Gore Verbinski in Director Jail.

7 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Better than Priscilla limited release last year. But in the post-Covid world high PTA no longer means anything. We have seen too many examples of promising PTA during limited release only to fumble in the wide expansion. SNL being the latest example. Still. a24 seem like they are still capable utilising platform release well. 

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Definitely a promising start since it should have mainstream appeal. Unlike some here, I'm actually feeling positive about some of this fall's specialty fare like Anora and A Real Pain.

Some moviegoers I knew saw Anora in recent FFs. I asked them if this movie could be Parasite 2.0 with BP locked. They believed so and said it told another story between popular and elegant. More popular than Parasite. So the box office potential could be huge.

• Like 1

I checked which theaters We Live in Time is coming to in my area next weekend, and it seems to actually indicate at least a quasi-wide release of 300-500 theaters - and there's already a few seats sold at the Thursday and Friday evening shows, which is really impressive considering this is an original R-rated romantic drama, and reviews are merely OK instead of like, awards-worthy raves. I think audiences are craving this kind of weepy drama, so hopefully word-of-mouth is strong and allows it to hold well into November.

I actually saw Anora last night at a sold out screening in Chicago, and can definitely see it being a word-of-mouth hit. It's surprisingly funny and charming and then surprisingly intense, but my crowd was having a blast throughout - several big laughs and even a few scattered applause breaks throughout. Don't think it'll be as big as Parasite was, but I think it should become the rare $10M+ grosser for NEON, maybe even $20M+ if it becomes a serious awards player.

• Like 4