filmpalace

Weekend Thread | October 11 - 13

Vettaiyan is likely going to be another of those Indian films that isn't on the trackers radar that pops up on the weekend top 10. Just looked it up it's a Tollywood film, I like checking these out they're usually a good time so I might go tomorrow. 

Finally saw transformers one cus it just came out over here. 

why did the “special thanks” segment in the credits mention the fuckin Ontario and New South Wales governments??? That shit wasn’t on Kung Fu Panda or Inside out. 

Fantastic movie but seriously what? Is Chris Hemsworth now just part of the Austrian government?

Edited by CheeseWizard

13 minutes ago, CheeseWizard said:

Finally saw transformers one cus it just came out over here. 

why did the “special thanks” segment in the credits mention the fuckin Ontario and New South Wales governments??? That shit wasn’t on Kung Fu Panda or Inside out. 

Fantastic movie but seriously what? Is Chris Hemsworth now just part of the Austrian government?

Why is that outrageous to you? It's a tax credit thing

38 minutes ago, WebSurfer said:

Not that much of an increase for Wild Robot…

A little concerned about that 10 million prospect now.

Joker is hilariously collapsing though.

Wild Robot will easily hit double digits this weekend.  Two movies will be over ten million Wild Robot and Terrifier

6 hours ago, stripe said:

Crazy number, but we needed this after Joker's bomb. 

Terrifier 3 - 15M

TWR - 14M

Joker 2 - 9M

Saturday Night - 8M

My Hero Academia - 8M

Beetlejuice - 6M

Apprentice - 5M

TFOne - 3M

Piece by Piece - 2M

Speak no Evil - 1.5M

TOP10 - 73M

More or less in line with Exorcist:Believer weekend last year.

Saturday Night probably gross half that number with only 370k from previews last night.

Apprentice might hit 2m this weekend. Apprentice only made 150k from previews.

My Hero Academia has very limited showtimes. Maybe 2-3m.

Piece by Piece I think can get to 4m.

So $25mil week overall for Wild Robot and 44% drop from last week, crosses $70mil total. Pretty much matched the Inside Out 2 PLF loss hold. Still pacing for somewhere between a $130mil and $140mil finish. If it could somehow manage like $15mil this weekend that would a good narrative boost, although it should also get a holiday Monday bump.

Edited by AniNate

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

So $25mil week overall for Wild Robot and 44% drop from last week, crosses $70mil total. Pretty much matched the Inside Out 2 PLF loss hold. Still pacing for somewhere between a $130mil and $140mil finish. If it could somehow manage like $15mil this weekend that would a good narrative boost, although it should also get a holiday Monday bump.

Are you talking in terms of domestic numbers for TWR?

27 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean, it's a movie's prerogative to give special thanks as they see fit. They don't need to explain it.

Apparently it's because of effects work and tax credits according to IMDB though.

Wait animation can get tax credits?? wtf I didn’t know that, I thought it was just for filming and production on location. I wonder how much of a tax break it got then. Probably not as much as a live action movie I’m guessing? Apparently gladiator 2 got like, 70million in tax credits and I doubt it’s the same for this 

16 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Why is that outrageous to you? It's a tax credit thing

No no it’s not outrageous, I just thought it was funny

The numbers for The Apprentice and Saturday Night especially are so depressing

The fact that it's gonna struggle to even hit $5m is a really big problem imo. It should be doing better

I think it's time a studio like Sony abandons the platform strategy for something like this, go big on one date and actually release a first trailer more than like 50 days before the movie comes out

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

The numbers for The Apprentice and Saturday Night especially are so depressing

The fact that it's gonna struggle to even hit $5m is a really big problem imo. It should be doing better

I think it's time a studio like Sony abandons the platform strategy for something like this, go big on one date and actually release a first trailer more than like 50 days before the movie comes out

The Apprentice bombing was entirely expected due to a poor distributor and lack of audience (Trump supporters won't listen to or see anything critical of him, everyone else wishes he would just disappear from the public eye after winning the annual award for Most Overexposed Celebrity for nearly a decade).

Saturday Night is unfortunately unsurprising too. It looks good, but movies that take us behind the scenes of TV/movies have always struggled at the box office, the cast lacked star power, and it lacks awards buzz. Thus, finding an audience on streaming was always its best hope.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I never really expected Apprentice to do much. Glad it got a distributor and a wide release, but frankly even I as a staunch Democrat have zero interest in paying money to subject myself to Trump even as an unflattering actor portrayal.

Yeah, this is what I predicted weeks ago...no one (on any side - pro, against, or ambivalent) was gonna want to sit through any extra Trump 4 weeks from an election...it's just too much already...

Saturday Night had an automatic uphill battle in our NTC hellscape, but I do think it not being distributed by Universal was its biggest flaw. With Uni, they would have for sure done a lot of cross-promotion synergy with the new SNL season, have tons of ads on Sunday Night Football, on Peacock, and so forth to get the word out. But with Sony distributing, that incentive was gone right then and there. Like anecdotally, my parents have been watching SNL since it first premiered in 1975. They watch the newest episode every week and get excited every time a new season premieres. Saturday Night was tailor-made to appeal to them, but they didn't know it was a thing until I told them like a week before the film premiered. That's a problem.

• Like 7

I seriously don't get the critical acclaim for the Terrifier movies. 

I see why the third one finally breaks out, as it obviously has the "You have to see it"-vibe with it being that brutal, but honestly, as movies, the first two were just...well, they weren't movies with basically no plot. It can be fun as a group experience. But as a movie? Well...I just don't get it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Deadline has Friday estimates up

https://deadline.com/2024/10/box-office-terrifier-3-joker-folie-a-deux-the-apprentice-1236113611/

Terrifier 7.7 (15+)

Wild Robot 3.6 (13.1)

Joker 2.8 (8-9)

Genuinely how the Kentucky fried fuck did Joker 2 and Wild Robot have the same Friday increases 

Edited by Ezen Baklattan
  • Haha 1