Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

You might well be right!! I hope it does $600 million but I'll be surprised if it gets to even $500 million.Will happily change my mind if it holds up incredibly well in the next 7 days. Just have a feeling most that have wanted to see it have already done so. Lol

Oh trust me i know many people wanting to go again, alot of people werent able to last weekend because of sellouts and being busy, and many people are now curious because of the hype and want to check it out, thats what i mean by demand. My mom was shocked 45 minutes again when i told her that our theater could be sold out tonight and tomorrow. She said "ive never gone to a movie on a weekday, i dont see how they make money on weekdays", she didnt know about discount Tuesday either. Youre absolutely right though, the next 7 days will definitely show us were this is headed, i believe in a 100M second weekend! Another good thing is the weekend drops werent frontloaded so that still shows alot of interest. :D

I'm talking strictly films here. If DC makes a JLA film it will be seen as, and will essentially be, an Avengers wannabe. I'd rather see a team up film featuring the big 2 than that. I think it would be dumb for DC to try and emulate what Marvel did with The Avengers and the films that led up to it. It would be entirely too obvious. Team up the big 2, have them battle and make a good movie out of it and that will be way bigger than some lame attempt to reproduce the Marvel formula.

I totally see your point, and I'm sure that some people will go, "LOOK! LAME WANNABE AVENGERS!" but the JLA film has been talked about and announced for the longest time, even before TA. And both DC and MARVEL have been able to coexist fine, with plenty of superheroes that seem to be analogues. The key will be to make a solid film. If DC manages to do what MARVEL did, which is get all the stars aligned and fire on all cylinders, audiences will simply be swept away by the awesomeness of the film, methinks.As popular as Supes and Bats are, I think the curiosity factor will be stratospheric if audiences are treated to a film that teams up DC's big three icons, (provided they get their [hopefully decent] solo films that make the DC film universe a cohesive entity) plus a bunch of other B-listers like Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern, etc. I don't know, maybe it's just wishful-thinking, but I think the potential's there... Edited by cochofles

IMO yes but i'm biased as i'm a big fan of the film but it didn't bat an eyelid when Sherlock and Chipmunks opened (in fact it almost held flat!) and its drops were tiny every week no matter what opened against it, it was just one of those films that people wanted to see regardless what else came out.

I don't think it would have made quite as much, but I do think it still would have taken the domestic all-time crown. Three years on and it is still in a different league in terms of an experience. It looks years ahead of everything else. I was watching some of it the other day and you completely forget that most of what you're watching isn't real. When JoelSilver said in 2003 The Matrix sequels were going to set the bar so high visually that there'd be no bar? Well Avatar cleared that bar and opened a tab. Lol

Ha, yeah this does kind of remind me of Kal with Avatar.Still hard to fathom a $207m ow, it's just simply unbelievable. I know $600m is being thrown around, but it's definitely too early to say that's happening without seeing how this week and next weekend goes...but it sure does look like $600m could happen.I will admit that the only thing dampening my enthusiasm is that what happened this weekend with TA is what I wanted to happen with TDKR as I'm a bigger fan of that series and wanted that to get the ow record and win the summer/year, which looks almost impossible now.The only hope is if there was one movie I'd say has a chance to do it (other than Avatar 2 in 3-5 years) it'd be TDKR.

There will always be TDK that did well. TDKR is still doing 400m+.If anything as long TDKR is a good film that is all that matters it will be the first great comic book trilogy.

I don't think it would have made quite as much, but I do think it still would have taken the domestic all-time crown.Three years on and it is still in a different league in terms of an experience. It looks years ahead of everything else.I was watching some of it the other day and you completely forget that most of what you're watching isn't real. When JoelSilver said in 2003 The Matrix sequels were going to set the bar so high visually that there'd be no bar? Well Avatar cleared that bar and opened a tab. Lol

Yeah but don't forget that it was still making double figure weekends when Alice in Wonderland took all its screens, many people on Mojo at the time said the film would of easily cleared 800mil if it had kept its screens and i agree.

Yeah but don't forget that it was still making double figure weekends when Alice in Wonderland took all its screens, many people on Mojo at the time said the film would of easily cleared 800mil if it had kept its screens and i agree.

This number is such a turn on.

I want to see it on DOM charts one day.

Edited by Gideon

Hmmm..TA Friday was around TDK in ticket sales.NM and DH2 were only ahead because of midnights.Saturday was with Spider Man 1 and Spider Man 3 in ticket sales.Sunday was bigger then anything in HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are directors of these comic book franchises contractually obligated to NOT work on films from their comic book competition? I wonder about Whedon and Wonder Woman... I mean, he did want to make the film at one point...

Multipliers!SM3: $462m IM2: $506mShrek 3: $550mAWE: $559mAiW: $597m (apparently not many movies do between 2.7 and 3.1x)DMC: $647mIM1: $670m TDK: $698m SM1: $729m Shrek 2: $847mLooks like it should end up with around $600m.

Edited by cory