75Live

May 7 - 10, 2012 Weekday Numbers: AVENGERS 12.5 Thurs pg 61

It's amazing how literal people take things sometimes. I never said they would "intersect". I said they would come together(as in closer). 550m vs 533m  is 17m difference, that's closer than the 36m difference there is right now. Regardless, I'm projecting a 525-550m finish for TA.

NO!!!! YOU DON'T LOVE THE AVENGERS AND YOU WANT THEM TO FAIL, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? WHY?WHY?:P I'm predicting the same and dreaming with the $600m barrier being crashed. :D Edited by iJackSparrow

Thank you.

Looking at TDK's chart closely, looks like the re-release and re-re-release dates were:

1st - November 14, 2008 = getting a 220+ jump in screens.

2nd - January 23, 2009 = getting over 340+ more screens.

Prior to the re-release and re-re-releases, it made $528.3 million; but after both releases it jumped up to $533.3 million which is an extra $5 million in the box office.

I know Disney doesn't need to re-release much less re-re-release The Avengers to get $600 million, but if they did could they also a mass an extra $5 - $8 million too? It's not much in this industry's standard but that still is cool cash of $$$ to have.

P.S.

And yes I agree it was WB trying to get $1 billion world wide which that extra $5 million did by putting TDK over the mark by $1.9 million.

I have to question how much profit was actually made from the re-relase and re-re-release of TDK. My guess is probably next to nothing, or maybe even a little bit of a loss was incurred. Usually the profitable re-releases happen several years after the initial release (Titanic 3D for example), since such a re-release can make many millions of dollars.

The Academy Awards are in February, and the voting happens in January. That explains the re-re-release timing for TDK. I don't see Disney doing anything like this for TA, and I definitely don't think it would be worthwhile just for another 5-8 mill.

Not true, Nikke had 68M OD and he said 80, Nikke said 60M Saturday, he said 68-70, well before getting any actual number. He is much better at extrapolation compared to Finke.

LOL well she posts the first numbers of the night. But she always updates right after rth gives us his numbers. Always. Never failed.

I have to question how much profit was actually made from the re-relase and re-re-release of TDK. My guess is probably next to nothing, or maybe even a little bit of a loss was incurred. Usually the profitable re-releases happen several years after the initial release (Titanic 3D for example), since such a re-release can make many millions of dollars.The Academy Awards are in February, and the voting happens in January.That explains the re-re-release timing for TDK.I don't see Disney doing anything like this for TA, and I definitely don't think it would be worthwhile just for another 5-8 mill.

Gotcha.

Wow, the 2nd highest non Wednesday opener in May is Revenge of the Sith with 8 million. Wow.

Seriously. That's how much of a monster TA is. $13.6M on a Wednesday, non-holiday, in May? Yikes!I'm predicting a conservative $105M this weekend, but based on the weekday hauls it is not unrealistic to think that this weekend's number could be 115, 120 or even a touch more. Just insane!!!

The fun part of that graph happens from days 29-60. ;)

True, but copy/paste gets boring after a while! I will extend it. It does show how steady Avatar was, and that TDK was reasonably smooth in its drops. So far TA is a weekend movie, although we have only had one..

I have a feeling this will slow down soon. I can see this getting around 550-575M but not much else.

I predicted 560-570 tops from the start while a lot of people were saying 700mil was possible!, i'm not even convinced by 570mil now as thos graphs make it look like TA will eventualy fall below TDK, i know its too early to judge the graphs yet but thats what it looks like to me.

How well The Lord of the Rings re-release went down?What if Marvel re-released the movie by Christimas with an extended cut?THAT I can see doing a hell lot of cash. TDK re-released the same movie. Now, rereleasing an extended 3 hours The Avengers by Christimas, with The Avengers being this box-office monster and getting praises from critics and public alike...?Well, I could see this doing an even more insane amount of cash. Thoughts?