herrmike

Who will be the first major superhero to bite it on the big screen?

• Founder / Operator

If we're talking about second-tier and third-tier characters as well, I agree that Black Widow or Hawkeye are strong candidates to be killed off in an Avengers sequel. Very likely by

Thanos

losing rights? DC is their property, doesn't exist the possibility of losing the rights

It's complicated. I'm not sure DC owns Superman outright, or at least that is the part in contention. They "own" everything that has been done to him since they acquired him. It's complicated and fairly silly.

If we're talking about second-tier and third-tier characters as well, I agree that Black Widow or Hawkeye are strong candidates to be killed off in an Avengers sequel. Very likely by

Thanos

He'll kill all of them... :P

Thanos

I hope not Scar Jo. She looks great with her red hair :P

But I found this article saying she wants to do more of the character:http://www.telegram.com/article/20120511/NEWS/105119700/1011/newsrewindPosted sometime today.Plus, she's too hot to die. :PAlso, I find her sexy as hell with red hair, but just alright with her (normal) blonde hair. Is that weird, or am I not the only one?

Great topic!I think it will require a character that comes from a collection of heroes, that way the death doesn't completely end said franchise and gives the other main characters something to latch onto.

Which makes Hal Jordan a perfect candidate & a strong case could be made(and has) that current young adult (18-30) dollars know John Stewart better as GL anyway. GL2 where Stewart is introduced and the narrative is that Jordan has now been GL awhile and either dies or has to leave Earth for "X" seems perfect to jolt the GL franchise back.I suggest Chadwick Boseman as a candidate for Stewart.

^I doubt it. Most likely the biggest SH to buy it on the big screen will be no bigger than Jean Grey in X3. And anyone bigger than say, Professor X, will eventually come back(just like he is) unless the movie bombs. Call it the "Spock" syndrome. ;)

• Like 2

To those Saying Cap will die, remember that he is Joss Whedon's favorite.

killing someone has nothing to with favorites.

Nobody big will die in Avengers 2 maybe quicksliver or Hawkeye but they do not care since they really do not have a fanbase.

Iron Man is safe since they been hinting at him dying in three films. So he will alive in both Avengers.  Hulk could die in Avengers 3. I do not see Thor or Captain America dying since there will be more films on them. 

I could see The Wolverine dying when Jackman wants to be done with him. 

Hawkeye, Falcon, Or War Machine could all bite the dust. Black Widow will stay because she is the only female the MCU has right now.

I see the main Avengers team never dying, including the Hulk. Actually, I have a theory we will see another Hulk film in Phase 3.

In the DCU, Hal Jordan could die since they have many Green Lantern's to replace him. Random X-Men characters can always die. Actually, I think in the future world, we will see many main characters die in DOFP, but considering the whole time travel thing, it won't really matter.