Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Evening Toho was 30% larger than afternoon. That indicates very few people are off, like a regular weekday. Articles I read said "many" factories and business are closed, if not, "many" take vacation days. Many plus many equal most not few. The authors must have attended the Ray Subers school of writing. Another article said May 1st is "May Day" is an unofficial holiday for people and those that are not part of the first two "manys" that are already supposedly off will take this day off. maybe that means few to none are taking Thursday off. :ph34r:

Judging from Conan's admissions, it looks like many kids still have school. That's why Wednesday was not as big as you thought. As for May 1st, it's a public holiday in most countries in the world, many of them have it as "Labor Day" (like in my country) and the others as "May Day". While it's not a public holiday in Japan, some people might consider it as one because of that. Maybe that's what the article is talking about. So Thursday could be bigger, but for now I expect it to be about the same as Wednesday.

Judging from Conan's admissions, it looks like many kids still have school. That's why Wednesday was not as big as you thought. As for May 1st, it's a public holiday in most countries in the world, many of them have it as "Labor Day" (like in my country) and the others as "May Day". While it's not a public holiday in Japan, some people might consider it as one because of that. Maybe that's what the article is talking about. So Thursday could be bigger, but for now I expect it to be about the same as Wednesday.

I also read that with this GW straddle some may take their vacation days next week. Since these weekdays aren't huge maybe next wed -fri wont crash

Posted Image

Beating Ponyo is virtually certain.  Howl is likely, approaching very likely.  Spirited Away in $ is possible.  Spirited Away in ¥ is still out of reach.

Beating Spirited Away in $ could be another record for Frozen: higest grossing in a single overseas country.

This is the chart (single run over 150M$ unajusted):

Movie   Country  Gross

Spirited Away   Japan   $229,607,878

Titanic   Japan   $201,389,568

Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons China   $196,740,000

Bienvenue chez les ch'tis   France $193,764,365

Howl's Moving Castle Japan   $190,000,000

The Monkey King   China   $167,840,000

The Untouchable   France $166,126,377

Transformers Dark of the Moon China   $165,100,000

Ponyo   Japan   $164,565,997

Skyfall   UK $161,176,369

Edited by edroger
  • Like 4

Beating Spirited Away in $ could be another record for Frozen: higest grossing in a single overseas country.

This is the chart (150M$+):

Movie   Country  Gross

Spirited Away   Japan   $229,607,878

Titanic   Japan   $201,389,568

Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons China   $196,740,000

Bienvenue chez les ch'tis   France $193,764,365

Howl's Moving Castle Japan   $190,000,000

The Monkey King   China   $167,840,000

The Untouchable   France $166,126,377

Transformers Dark of the Moon China   $165,100,000

Ponyo   Japan   $164,565,997

Skyfall   UK $161,176,369

These Mojo numbers aren't accurate. Howl's made more than that. Also, Avatar made more than $200M in China. And if you add the Titanic 3D re-release, Titanic also made about $200 million in China.

These Mojo numbers aren't accurate. Howl's made more than that. Also, Avatar made more than $200M in China. And if you add the Titanic 3D re-release, Titanic also made about $200 million in China.

What's your source for these numbers, then?

(From Mojo, Titanic's China gross would be ~$189m.)

Numbers are in unajusted $. Different countries and year of release, inflation, conversion, ticket price average could generate an infinite number of variation based on different sources of information and method of calculation, so we could talking about this for many years never can agree. The only right way to compare movies could be the number of tickets sold, but I am not able to find this information for all movies and for all countries. But also this isn't an exact science: for example sources tell that basing on tickets sold, Avatar would be out of top ten all-time and 1939's Gone With The Wind would be N.1 with 200M admissions only in North America. So, to beat it in 2014, a movie should be gross 1,6B$ DOM!

• Like 1

Actually, it's pretty close.  The most reliable-looking number I've found for Howl is ¥19.6B.  During its run, the exchange rate was generally between 103-105 yen to the dollar.  That gives a dollar amount of $186-191M.

Corpse has Howl down as ¥22.00 billion ($207.0 million) the 3rd highest grossing movie in Japan behind Spirited away and titanic.

Numbers are in unajusted $. Different countries and year of release, inflation, conversion, ticket price average could generate an infinite number of variation based on different sources of information and method of calculation, so we could talking about this for many years never can agree.

Alltime domestic adjusted for inflation according BOM, Boxoffice.com and The numbers.comhttp://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htmhttp://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/alltime_numbers/domestic/adjustedhttp://www.the-numbers.com/movie/records/#inflation_adjustedThree sources, three different charts! Edited by edroger
  • Like 1

Looks like quite a few near sell outs and sell outs for Thu. Should be much better than wed. How's it look to you Labas?. Nice call on 40k for wed.

Today is the national cinema day (1st ) and everyone can enjoy the discount. Thus, it is quite natural the presale

is much better than yesterday. And you are right, today presale looks really strong....

I think 50k adm today is locked...

The dollar amount doesn't matter really it's just an estimate. There hasn't been much of a ticket price rise in Japan in almost 20 years (last month being the exception) so I think we can agree on ranking system based on yen or admissions.

Howl's Moving Castle had an interested performance.  The ¥22.00 billion ($207 million) figure isn't adjusting for inflation, conversion, or ticket prices though.

Howl's Moving Castle has 3 different totals that you see posted: ¥19.6 billion (what it was at before the expansion I'll talk about in a minute), ¥20.00 billion (what Eiren projected the expansion would give it), and ¥22.00 billion (the figure that the distributor revealed in late 2005).

In late Spring of 2005, nearing the end of Howl's run, Toho expanded the film and heavily promoted it for the Summer.  If you own the DVD, the actual promotional trailer talking about the expansion for the Summer is there with the tagline  "14 million people have seen the film, and here's your last chance to see Howl and Sophie's love story on the big screen again".  Along those lines anyway.  The expansion boosted it by ¥2.4 billion (1.5 million admissions), from ¥19.6 billion (14 million admissions) to ¥22.0 billion (15.5 million admissions).  If you want another source, here: http://www.tohokingdom.com/anime/howls_moving_castle.htm#bo

• Like 3

Howl's Moving Castle had an interested performance.  The ¥22.00 billion ($207 million) figure isn't adjusting for inflation, conversion, or ticket prices though. Howl's Moving Castle has 3 different totals that you see posted: ¥19.6 billion (what it was at before the expansion I'll talk about in a minute), ¥20.00 billion (what Eiren projected the expansion would give it), and ¥22.00 billion (the figure that the distributor revealed in late 2005). In late Spring of 2005, nearing the end of Howl's run, Toho expanded the film and heavily promoted it for the Summer.  If you own the DVD, the actual promotional trailer talking about the expansion for the Summer is there with the tagline  "14 million people have seen the film, and here's your last chance to see Howl and Sophie's love story on the big screen again".  Along those lines anyway.  The expansion boosted it by ¥2.4 billion (1.5 million admissions), from ¥19.6 billion (14 million admissions) to ¥22.0 billion (15.5 million admissions).  If you want another source, here: http://www.tohokingdom.com/anime/howls_moving_castle.htm#bo

So 207M$ is right?

Alltime domestic adjusted for inflation according BOM, Boxoffice.com and The numbers.comhttp://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htmhttp://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/alltime_numbers/domestic/adjustedhttp://www.the-numbers.com/movie/records/#inflation_adjustedThree sources, three different charts!

BOM's adjusted chart is based on the average ticket price. The clearest problem with it is that it doesn't take into account how different formats can affect things. This obviously means that anything released in the 3D era is going to seem like it's sold more tickets than it actually has (especially if it came in sweet spot to benefit from Avatar.) But any alternate format with a surcharge is going to affect things. Take the IMAX re-release for The Lion King: it earned $15 million in that release and BOM estimates the tickets at 2.6 million, because of the average ticket price in 2002 of $5.81. However since we know that all tickets sold were IMAX priced (unsure what that was at the time, but I believe it was $10), we should rightly take that into account when adjusting our ticket price inflation.

I don't know what The Numbers uses for its methodology, but it also goes back only to Star Wars, so they clearly aren't trying to tackle some of the huge older films.

I think BO.com's list is probably a continuation of something Daniel Gerris did for his old box office site before it merged with BO.com. One of the last things he did was to release his adjusted chart, where he'd gone and done his best to track how many tickets were actually sold for older releases, including the special, higher priced tickets that accounted for a lot of the gross of things like Gone With the Wind. Sadly, those forums are gone, so I couldn't say exactly what his list looked like, but it was pretty comprehensive and smart. Maybe Shawn can say for sure if this is the case, though.

• Like 2

So 207M$ is right?

I think it's the most reliable figure as it was almost at BOM's $190 million before weekend tracking stopped.  The last available weekend number available of its run was ¥34 million ($318,000) /  ¥20.105 billion ($188.4 million) a week before Golden Week started in 2005.

Eiren had already issued their yearly results and projected it to finish with ¥20.00 billion months before, though it rose above that projection even before falling out of the Top 10, and the expansion had yet to occur as well.  BOM has it at $190 million, though that's their estimate (ending in six 0's), and they're notorious for not tracking/updating totals once a film falls too far down on the weekend chart.  Any film that plays for 4 or more months are largely undertracked at BOM for this reason.  A lot of these blockbuster runs last for 6 months to a year.

I don't know when the expansion for Howl happened exactly, but it was announced in late March or early April 2005.  It could have certainly been in preparation for Golden Week, or maybe later in June to prepare for Summer Vacation/Obon.  Over the course of this time, though, it found it's way to ¥22.0 billion

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 1

I think it's the most reliable figure as it was almost at BOM's $190 million before weekend tracking stopped.  The last available weekend number available of its run was 

¥34 million ($318,000) /  ¥20.105 billion ($188.4 million) a week before Golden Week started in 2005.

Eiren had already issued their yearly results and projected it to finish with ¥20.00 billion months before, though it rose above that projection even before falling out of the Top 10, and the expansion had yet to occur as well.  BOM has it at $190 million, though that's their estimate (ending in six 0's), and they're notorious for not tracking/updating totals once a film falls too far down on the weekend chart.  Any film that plays for 4 or more months are largely undertracked at BOM for this reason.  A lot of these blockbuster runs last for 6 months to a year.

I don't know when the expansion for Howl happened exactly, but it was announced in late March or early April 2005.  It could have certainly been in preparation for Golden Week, or maybe later in June to prepare for Summer Vacation/Obon.  Over the course of this time, though, it found it's way to ¥22.0 billion

Then how come there's this?

http://www.eiren.org/toukei/img/eiren_kosyu/data_2005.pdf

It's Eiren's 2005 list and has Howl's at 19.6b. Wouldn't they have had the correct figure by then?

Edited by lab276

BOM's average is correct, just for the year not a specific film.

So the BOM average is basically useless because each film's tickets were sold at different prices. This depends on genre (e.g. animated films have lower prices), format (3D, IMAX is more expensive) and location (each cinema has different prices). The only thing that the BOM average can be used for is to calculate the total number of admissions sold in one year for all films combined. Other than that, it is pretty much useless and indicates -once more- why BOM is not as accurate as it claims to be. I think it is unacceptable that BOM actually has an inflation-adjusted chart which they know is inaccurate.

For example, here they state that Toy Story 3 sold fewer admissions than Toy Story 2 (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3042&p=.htm) but the all-time chart says otherwise (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm). I assume the article is true since the chart is definitely wrong.