Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Uh, explain. As much as I think it's going to defy expectations in Japan, I don't see $1 billion as a certainty.

Zoo is at $907M WW now. Domestic will add another $20M, OS-Japan will add $20M. Surely Japan can hit more than $50M with that strong opening?

Edited by zackzack

6 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Zoo is at $907M WW now. Domestic will add another $20M, OS-Japan will add $20M. Surely Japan can hit more than $50M with that strong opening?

Not so sure.

Interesting weekday numbers.

[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名]
 *1 **3470 名探偵コナン2016 純黒の… (Conan 2016)
 *2 **2908 ズートピア (Zootopia)
 *3 **2419 レヴェナント 蘇えりし者 (The Revenant)
 *4 **1455 アイアムアヒーロー (I am a Hero)
 *5 **1090 クレヨンしんちゃん 2016… (Crayon Shin-Chan 2016)
 *6 ***957 劇場版 遊☆戯☆王 THE … (Yu-gi-oh 2016)
 *7 ***477 スポットライト 世紀のスクープ (Spotlight)
 *8 ***424 フィフス・ウェイブ (The 5th Wave)
 *9 ***382 暗殺教室-卒業編- (Assassination Classroom: Graduation)
 10 ***337 ずっと前から好きでした。~告… (I Liked You for a Long Time) some anime that barely anyone cares about.
[2016/04/25 11:03 更新]

1 minute ago, Cynosure said:

You took the wrong one. It's the list below. ;)

Weekdays will be weak until Friday which is a holiday (Shōwa Day) and begins Golden Week.

It's the same list, but it includes AEON, right?

What makes them so special, by the way?

2 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

Yes.

They're the biggest chain in Japan (almost 30% of the market) and kid/family friendly films tend to overperform there compared to other chains.

Was there a time when their data was unavailable to the general public, like Toho's?

12 hours ago, Heretic said:

Surprised Tangled isn't higher in Japan, it seems like the sort of film that'd do amazing there.

Tangled is a great movie and would have done much better in Japan were it not for the earthquake.

12 hours ago, Heretic said:

Also, it's so much better than Frozen.

But it's not better than Frozen.  It would have never gotten close to ¥25 billion.

[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名]
 *1 *13871 名探偵コナン2016 純黒の… (Conan 2016)
 *2 *12040 ズートピア(Zootopia)
 *3 **8546 レヴェナント 蘇えりし者
 *4 **5981 アイアムアヒーロー
 *5 **5457 クレヨンしんちゃん 2016…
 *6 **2603 劇場版 遊☆戯☆王 THE …
 *7 **2497 暗殺教室-卒業編-
 *8 **1636 スポットライト 世紀のスクープ
 *9 **1481 フィフス・ウェイブ
 10 **1143 ちはやふる 上の句

Zootopia seems to be narrowing the gap between 1st and 2nd place.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

On the plus side though, Hunchback did much more respectably than it did in NA. And it warms my heart to see Aladdin above The Lion King. :cloud9: 

I'll take both of these and a lot of other movies over The Lion King.

17 hours ago, Cynosure said:

TLK is a bit overrated. It has a great first part, an awesome last part but the entire sequence between Timon and Pumbaa meeting Simba and him going back to the Pride Lands is kind of terrible.

Its high points are very high, but I don't buy that Simba is so worthy and high & mighty and superior just because he's Mufasa's son.  Mufasa, despite his much better qualities than his son's, was a pompous snob, anyway.  And Zazu was pompous enough on their behalf to make them look even worse.  What a bunch of unappealing characters!  I don't think that any of this inexplicable promotion of royalty supports the intended themes of the movie, either.  This movie looks pretty, but ultimately is phony and weak.

17 hours ago, Heretic said:

Surprised Tangled isn't higher in Japan, it seems like the sort of film that'd do amazing there.

I would have thought so, too, even with the earthquake and nuclear disaster, but maybe the market wasn't "ready" for it.

17 hours ago, Heretic said:

Also, it's so much better than Frozen.

No way--as great as Tangled is, in my opinion Frozen outdoes it in both overall appeal (even though I tend to favor Rapunzel as a character, personally) and the sophistication with which it supports its themes (have to look past the surface and into its symbolism).

17 hours ago, cannastop said:

It has a high rating on yahoo movies, though. Almost as high as Zootopia's.

Tangled is better than Zootopia, in my opinion, although Zootopia is really good.

17 hours ago, Olive said:

Tangled was so unlucky , it opened right on the weekend when the biggest earthquake in Japanese history occurred.

True, although it seemed to rebound for a good while before its legs gave out sooner than I would have thought.  Tangled would have grossed significantly more if it weren't for the disaster, but at the same time it didn't exactly catch fire like I would have expected or hoped for.

16 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

I remember that. There were a lot of folks lowballing Frozen based on Tangled's performance too without taking into consideration that devastating earthquake. Making Frozen's actual performance all the more shocking!

While this is true to some degree, I don't think it's by much because even $100M would have been massive low-balling. ;)

5 hours ago, zackzack said:

Locked: Zootopia will hit $1B WW

Even given the uphill climb Zootopia has in front of it, I still think it has a good chance of cracking $1B WW.  But locked?  Er, no, not yet.  Let's see if it can get that 15+ multiplier in Japan and some help from strong late legs in NA, where it seems to be rebounding (like a bunny? ;)) once again from a big opener in the previous weekend.  And who knows, maybe Disney will do something to help it get past that milestone if necessary, like they did in pushing Tangled's DOM gross over $200M.

• Like 4

As much as I would love to see Zootopia crossing $1B worldwide, I have a strange feeling that it will be tough.

The movie grossed already 907$ million, which is obviously very good, but it has already been released for at least a month or 2 in all the countries around the world, with a few exceptions like the U.K., New Zealand or Israel. Of course, Zootopia can add a few more millions WW but probably not that much. Japan is one of the last markets so basically, it will have to perform very well. I bet that it should make at least $80 million there to make sure to hit $1 billion ww.

Anyway, go Zootopia!