Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

I was expecting to see the OS-Japan drop this week due to Angry Birds, although not to ~$2M. I'm not going to try and make any OS-Japan estimates until tomorrow, however, when the actuals come in.

In any case, after this weekend's performance in Japan, I'm a lot less worried about a few millions here or there from elsewhere.

UPDATE: According to Deadline, the Japan weekend gross is $3.8M (obviously underestimated), which means the OS-J gross is $0.9M. Not as severe a drop as $0.7M and I agree wiith you, Foul01, that it will likely revise the number upwards tomorrow. Still $612M OS-J seems just a tad unlikely atm (even when including Turkey).

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

I don't think there's really any competition until July, when Alice 2 opens.

And even that is questionable as competition.

On a side note, it will take advantage of the 1st of the month discount and open on a Friday rather than a Saturday.

Questionable as in it's not attracting the same audience or questionable as in it won't make that much money? Because the first one made a whopping 134 million dollars.

7 minutes ago, LMAbacus said:

Questionable as in it's not attracting the same audience or questionable as in it won't make that much money? Because the first one made a whopping 134 million dollars.

I'm skeptical about the success of the new Alice movie. That's all I'm saying.

Zootopia's run is more impressive than Civil War and TJB because it's an original film. Not trying to badmouth CW and TJB, they're doing exceptionally well. Last year, I found Inside out to have the most impressive run, better than TFA, because it was an original film and its concept was too complex and unattractive to audiences.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LMAbacus said:

You meant Alice 1 made $334M domestic?

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

I'm skeptical about the success of the new Alice movie. That's all I'm saying.

Alice will definitely do well in Japan.

Japan has a thing for fairy tales, the fanciful, the weird, and royalty... and Alice has all of them.

You can see it in all the derivative works of Anime and Manga based on Alice in Wonderland.

Alice 1 was terrible yet it still made 134M in Japan... Alice 2 will need to suck really really hard not to make big money.

Edited by Foul01

12 hours ago, cannastop said:

It's not strange. Today is Sunday, the end of the weekend.

7 hours ago, Tower said:

This is the Japanese thread, 134M is what it made in Japan.

2 hours ago, Foul01 said:

Alice will definitely do well in Japan.

Japan has a thing for fairy tales, the fanciful, the weird, and royalty... and Alice has all of them.

You can see it in all the derivative works of Anime and Manga based on Alice in Wonderland.

Alice 1 was terrible yet it still made 134M in Japan... Alice 2 will need to suck really really hard not to make big money.

At the end of the run I've noticed a lot of smaller countries are late on reporting. The weekend can appear low, if there is a midweek report, that tends look high. I think you'll see a higher number later in the week.

Flat to OW after a holiday week. It is a mini Frozen. You can't come up with weekly multiplier when it's flat. The best thing to do is to assume 25% drops at some point and use that as baseline. At least 3x more this week's , sat- Fri total. to be made after this thursday. $17-19m more minimum. 50m+ locked. Anything beyond is hard to predict until next weekends performance.

Alice took part in the 3d phenomenon,  was the second one after avatar and made 134m due to a 77¥ to a $ XR, which would be $95m today and only $70m without the high percentage of 3d surcharges. I doubt A2 clears $50m

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 4

*1 *12230 殿、利息でござる!
*2 *11808 ズートピア

As of 1:55 PM Japan time, Zootopia has fallen to second place. At the rate it is going, we should be seeing an increase compared to last Monday.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JohnnyG99 said:
*1 *12230 殿、利息でござる!
*2 *11808 ズートピア

As of 1:55 PM Japan time, Zootopia has fallen to second place. At the rate it is going, we should be seeing an increase compared to last Monday.

Zootopia was actually further behind earlier in the day. As of 2:17 pm Japan time, now ahead:

*1 *13469 ズートピア
 *2 *12739 殿、利息でござる!
  • Like 1

Zootopia cume as of Sunday

3.73B yen, 2.92M adm

Admissions +20% from last weekend

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Olive said:

Zootopia cume as of Sunday

3.73B yen, 2.92M adm

Admissions +20% from last weekend

Wow! Not only admission though, it's also +20% in yen. Which is what, 450m+ yen? How much did it make on OW?

23 minutes ago, catlover said:

Wow! Not only admission though, it's also +20% in yen. Which is what, 450m+ yen? How much did it make on OW?

WK1 ¥445,804,900 ($4.0 million), NEW
WK2 ¥509,699,700 ($4.8 million), +14%
WK3 ¥386,775,600 ($3.6 million), -24%
WK4 ¥458,930,800 ($4.3 million), +19%

Edited by Olive
  • Like 5