Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Now that I think about it some more, it would make the most sense for Disney to rerelease Tangled in the MIDDLE of Frozen's theater run, when the hype is at its highest, to get people that liked Frozen to buy Tangled. Rereleasing Tangled right at the end Frozen's theater run makes zero sense.

Edited by Mojoguy

The only time this has happened (at least since 1989) was in 2002.

Yeah. 2013 was a weird year. The top 3 DOM earners are all within $25m of each other. The only years since '89 that had a spread that was closer were 2007 and 1995. Both were within 20m, but the grosses were quite a bit lower as well. But 2002 was quite strange because there was a wide spread in both the DOM and OS earners that didn't match up.

Now I'm curious about what years where the DOM winner didn't get the OS or WW gross.

It looks like Corpse has finally come over to the dark side. Posted Image

It has achieved true phenomenon status and I'll no longer be shocked if it does over 30 billion yen ($300 million+) to dethrone Spirited Away. I think it'll fall a bit short, but estimates were actually low, again.

Posted Image

• Like 7

Wow. He jumped from never $244m and $215 projection to maybe $300m in one week. Welcome aboard the crazy train.I may have to raise my $316m lock. :bump:murgatroyd is staying with "not happening" for now. Upgrade! Hows that chart looking?

Edited by T E Lawrence
  • Like 1

Darth Elsa?

A lightsaber seems like a downgrade for someone with Elsa's powers. :P

Well, as an alternative there is

Arrow Elsa:

Posted Image

Green Lantern Elsa

Posted Image

Batwoman Elsa

Posted Image

Hawk Girl Elsa

Posted Image

and Black Canary Elsa

Posted Image

For corresponding Annas see

http://samanthadoodles.tumblr.com/

;)

Edited by chuck0
  • Like 5

Corpse

It has achieved true phenomenon status and I'll no longer be shocked if it does over 30 billion yen ($300 million+) to dethrone Spirited Away. I think it'll fall a bit short, but estimates were actually low, again.I'll post the weekend ranking with the actual figures soon.Also, the soundtrack is selling like crazy. It remained on top for a third week with sales of 109,000 (575,000 total), making it the first movie soundtrack since Flashdance over 30 years ago to record three-consecutive weeks at #1 on the charts. And, it's the best-selling movie soundtrack since Titanic, too.Also, the Japanese version of "Let it Go" sung by May J. has recorded 8-consecutive weeks at #1, the most weeks at #1 for any single since at least 2000.

• Like 3

Corpse

Weekend Ranking [05/17-18]

01 (01) Frozen (Disney) Week 1002 (02) Thermae Romae II (Toho) Week 403 (--) Mobile Suit Gundam UC: Episode 7 - Over the Rainbow (Shochiku) DEBUT04 (03) The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Sony) Week 405 (--) Ushijima the Loan Shark 2 (Toho) DEBUT06 (04) Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension (Toho) Week 507 (05) Partners the Movie 3 (Toei) Week 408 (06) Wood Job! (Toho) Week 209 (07) Crayon Shin-chan: Serious Battle! Robot Dad Strikes (Toho) Week 510 (08) Enchanted Kingdom 3D (Toho-Towa) Week 3>Frozen continues its overwhelming performance with another weekend increase, this time up 9%. It earned ¥807,107,900 ($7.9 million) with 592,173 admissions in its tenth weekend of release, beating the old 10th weekend record by 58%!. So far, the film has earned ¥18.53 billion ($181.8 million) with 14.59 million admissions.The film still shows no signs of slowing down... literally. It's on course to reach at least ¥25 billion ($240/250 million), but could certainly go even higher and perhaps challenge Spirited Away (¥30.4 billion) for the #1 All-Time spot. Surpassing Titanic (#2 All-Time) is looking like a near lock at this point. If it would reach ¥30 billion+, it'll have recorded a USD total likely above $300 million. $300 million. And I'd say that it has at least a 50% chance of doing it.>Mobile Suit Gundam UC: Episode 7 - Over the Rainbow saw a huge debut of ¥157,182,200 ($1.5 million) with 98,208 admissions. Now, that certainly wouldn't qualify as huge, but it done so on just 35 screens over 2-days. That gave it a 4.49 million ($44,000) 2-day PSA.>Ushijima the Loan Shark 2 also did well for itself earning ¥132,864,200 ($1.3 million) with 89,175 admissions on 156 screens, an increase of 76% over its predecessor from 2012.>The Amazing Spider-Man 2 exceeded ¥2.5 billion ($25 million) over the weekend. It debuted with nearly identical numbers as Iron Man 3, but has already matched Iron Man 3's total after 4 weeks, and should come quite close to the total of the first Amazing Spider-Man (¥3.16 billion). Not bad after a lackluster debut.

Blue Spirited Away, Red Frozen. I don't know where the spike for SA comes from for week nine. There's a jump in US dollars too, but it isn't nearly as big. On the other hand, Obon jump is much larger in USD.

Posted Image

Spirited Away dollar weeks:

Posted Image

• Like 5

Blue Spirited Away, Red Frozen. I don't know where the spike for SA comes from for week nine. There's a jump in US dollars too, but it isn't nearly as big. On the other hand, Obon jump is much larger in USD.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As best I can tell, the Week 9 spike for SA comes from an error in the data combining two weeks into one.  I've adjusted it in my graphs.

Speaking of which, now that I have actuals, it's that time again.

Posted Image

This is just getting ridiculous.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can see it coming close to SA, but beating it is highly unlikely.

Posted Image

And a cleaner version of that one, with the only comparison that really matters any more:

Posted Image

Total gross is proportional to the area under the line.  If it's still going strong in Week 13, I may have to revise my opinion about SA.

• Like 5

Posted Image

Posted Image

murgatroyd and I figured that spike didnt make sense. Its in the end of september and the US$ figure didnt match up with it in corpses table. I dropped that figure to 1b yen to match the $8m in his table. You can see the figure in my table on sunday late morning in the thread adjusted to $10 for todays currency. The yen was 25% weaker then. His chart also reflects the adjustment. Edited by T E Lawrence

Tuesday 5/20 2:30pm Admissions (Last Week-Today)

toho.......4684---4484 -4.3%

109........1286---1158 -10%

kinezo......995----896 -10% 

movix......1908---2607 +36.6% (discounts day)

*total.....8873---9145 +3%

Edited by Hans13
  • Like 1

Posted Image

Posted Image

so to defeat SA Frozen has to make good use of summer - like Olaf sings

if the Disney associates are really set to break the record (why not?), they could start advertizing campaings with selling cheap ice cream during the hot summer month to draw children into a frosty world

Edited by Rudolf
  • Like 1

Corpse

Also, the Japanese version of "Let it Go" sung by May J. has recorded 8-consecutive weeks at #1, the most weeks at #1 for any single since at least 2000.

Hmm on which chart is this? Definitely not Oricon single chart. And not iTunes chart, because Takako Matsu's version of "Let It Go" is the one that stays at #1 for 8 weeks (61 days to be exact) on iTunes.

Btw for Conan fans out there, Detective Conan: The Sniper from Another Dimension has become the highest grossing entry in the series with 3.67b yen and 2.99m admissions. I'm hoping for over 4b yen total.

Edited by catlover

so to defeat SA Frozen has to make good use of summer - like Olaf singsif the Disney associates are really set to break the record (why not?), they could start advertizing campaings with selling cheap ice cream during the hot summer month to draw children into a frosty world

They already did something similar in south korea. A particular brand of ice cream saw record sales just from changing the wrapper to show elsa & anna. Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 1

They already do something similar in south korea. A particular brand of ice cream saw record sales just from changing the wrapper to show elsa & anna.

but in this instance, it probably works the other way round: the ice cream sales profit from Frozen popularity

I sugest luring children with cheap ice cream into cinemas during the hot summer weather

• Like 1