Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Toho Cinemas Weekend Admissions [7/19-20]:

76,872 (-22%) - Maleficent (Week 3)

67,625 - Pokemon XY: The Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie (NEW)

57,913 - Memories of Marnie (NEW)

22,013 - Kamen Rider Gaim the Movie: The Great Soccer Match! (NEW)

14,789 (-30%) - Edge of Tomorrow (Week 3)

13,821 (-39%) - Say, "I Love You" (Week 2)

12,487 - Planes: Fire & Rescue (NEW)

11,233 (-39%) - Frozen (Week 19)

8,133 (-07%) - Mission Impossible: Samurai (Week 5)

5,376 (-36%) - Thirst (Week 4)

Toho, Movix, 109, Kinezo Combined Weekend Admissions [7/19-20]:

143,157 (-17%) - Maleficent (Week 3)

120,558 - Pokemon XY: The Cocoon of Destruction & Diancie (NEW)

111,538 - Memories of Marnie (NEW)[/highlight]

47,296 - Kamen Rider Gaim the Movie: The Great Soccer Match! (NEW)

34,051 (-23%) - Edge of Tomorrow (Week 3)

30,440 (-38%) - Say, "I Love You" (Week 2)

23,059 - Planes: Fire & Rescue (NEW)

20,815 (-34%) - Frozen (Week 19)

19,779 (-03%) - Mission Impossible: Samurai (Week 5)

9,576 (-34%) - Thirst (Week 4)

Who would have thought Maleficent would be looking at a weekend drop in the 20% range against four wide openers, one being the latest Studio Ghibli film, the other the newest Pokemon?

Unless Aeon Cinemas was very, very favorable towards Pokemon, Maleficent looks to repeat atop the box-office for a third-consecutive week. Pokemon still likely won the weekend in admissions (I know, it doesn't look like it above, but it plays much strong at Aeon Cinemas), but Maleficent closed the gap considerably after a massive Sunday.

My weekend projections:

¥460-480 million ($4.6-4.8 million) / 340,000-360,000 admissions - Maleficent (Week 3)

¥395-415 million ($3.9-4.1 million) / 370,000-390,000 admissions - Pokemon XY (NEW)

¥320-340 million ($3.2-3.4 million) / 260,000-280,000 admissions - Memories of Marnie (NEW)

¥140-160 million ($1.4-1.6 million) / 120,000-130,000 admissions - Kamen Rider Gaim (NEW)

¥120-130 million ($1.2-1.3 million) - Edge of Tomorrow (Week 3)

¥90-100 million ($0.9-1.0 million) - Say, "I Love You" (Week 2)

¥80-85 million ($0.8-0.9 million) / 65,000-75,000 admissions - Planes: Fire & Rescue (NEW)

¥75-80 million ($0.7-0.8 million) - Frozen (Week 19)

¥70-75 million ($0.7-0.8 million) - Mission Impossible: Samurai (Week 5)

¥30-35 million ($0.3-0.4 million) - Thirst (Week 4)

Since Monday is a holiday, estimates likely won't be released and actuals will be available on Tuesday.

And maybe Maleficent can be number one next week too. Godzilla should be a big hit There, but Pacific Rim failed, then I don't know. Edited by Ajbg

Toho had 19-weeks recently.  October 12th, 2013 through February 23rd, 2014. The Girl in the Sun (2 weeks) > ,SPEC: Close Part 1 (1 week) > The Kiyosu Conference (2 weeks) > Princess Kaguya (1 week) > SPEC: Close Part 2 (1 week) > Lupin III vs Detective Conan (2 weeks) > The Eternal Zero (8 weeks) > The Mole Song (2 weeks).

Toho also had 19-weeks in 2001 with Spirited Away (16 weeks) and Between Calm and Passion (3 weeks). 

Depending on how big Marnie and/or Godzilla (Toho is distributing it) are, they could have a 8 week-streak beginning this upcoming weekend, too.  Marnie/Pokemon (1/1 week) > Marnie/Godzilla (2/1 week) > Marnie/Godzilla (3/2 weeks) > Doraemon (3 weeks) > Lupin III (2 weeks).

Marnie and/or Godzilla will have to breakout in big fashion to beat Rurouni Kenshin's (Warner Bros.) opening on August 1st, though.  And I'm not too worried about Transformers beating Doraemon on August 8th.  That match-up is Doraemon's to lose, in my opinion. 

With this week included, Disney has held on to the #1 box office spot in Japan for 19 consecutive weekends (36% of 2014)

And for the first time in more than four months, a Disney movie isn't No. 1 at the Japanese box office.

“Maleficent” added another $8 million from 45 foreign markets, but finished behind local product “Pokeman” in Japan and fell out of the top spot it had held there for two weeks. That followed a 16-week run at No. 1 in that country for Disney's animated hit “Frozen.”

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/transformers-kicks-another-82-million-foreign-box-office-194300457.html

It seems Pokémon is #1 according to the above.

Edited by vinnygambini

Japan reports weekend rankings based on admissions instead of gross, which Pokemon likely won based on the data available.  On Japan movie sites, Frozen wasn't #1 for 16-consecutive weeks for instance because it lost in admissions to Detective Conan in its 6th weekend.  

Pokemon may have finished behind Maleficent at Toho Cinemas and others where data is available, but it plays best at Aeon Cinemas and other locations that aren't reported.  And Aeon Cinemas is the biggest chain the country and can change rankings if they're reasonably close, which they are.  

Unless Maleficent saw a sharp decline at Aeon Cinemas and Pokemon won overwhelmingly at their locations, I still don't think Pokemon beat Maleficent in gross, though.  Unfortunately, it'll remain an unknown for awhile as no figures will be released until Tuesday.  Aeon will report their weekend ranking in 4 hours or so unless the holiday delays this as well.  If Pokemon isn't #1 at their locations, then it's assured to be behind Maleficent.  If it's #1 as expected, we'll have to wait. :P

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 1

TOHOシネマズ Toho Weekend Boxoffice Ranking1 Mal V32 Marnie3 PokemonXY4 劇場版仮面ライダー鎧武 烈車戦隊5 オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・キル6 Frozen7 Say Love to Me8 プレーンズ2ファイアー&レスキュー

“Maleficent” added another $8 million from 45 foreign markets, but finished behind local product “Pokeman” in Japan and fell out of the top spot it had held there for two weeks. That followed a 16-week run at No. 1 in that country for Disney's animated hit “Frozen.”

http://www.thewrap.com/transformers-kicks-in-another-82-million-at-foreign-box-office/

• Like 1

I wouldn't be sure about Pokemon knocking Maleficent out of 1st place yet.  Admissions perhaps, but western sources always report rankings in gross.    And it wouldn't be the first time they screw up reporting what movie is #1 over the weekend.  Deadline, THR, ScreenDaily, etc. get it wrong more often than you'd expect them to actually.  Though it's usually claiming a Hollywood movie is #1 when it's really a local film, not the other way around.  

So the first 500,000 advance tickets for the first Youkai Watch movie to be released on Dec. 20th went on sale Friday, and they've all sold out already...

Posted Image

People began lining up outside theaters as early as 4am Friday morning, and here are some photos people captured:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And the first 500,000 people to purchase a ticket also received this exclusive Yokai medal that can be used in their own yokai watches:

Posted Image
  • Like 2

So the first 500,000 advance tickets for the first Youkai Watch movie to be released on Dec. 20th went on sale Friday, and they've all sold out already...

Posted Image

People began lining up outside theaters as early as 4am Friday morning, and here are some photos people captured:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the first 500,000 people to purchase a ticket also received this exclusive Yokai medal that can be used in their own yokai watches:

Posted Image

Only in Japan! 500.000 Tickets for a movie sold 5 months before. Incredible.
  • Like 2