Impact

Best Visual Effects-2012

Out of the nominees I'd say The Avengers had the second most impressive fx

Nah, Prometheus is 2nd IMO; if you saw the Collector's Edition Bonus disk you would know that 99% of the effects are practical and the Academy appreciates that. For me TA is 3rd place. Edited by DoctorWho

Nah, Prometheus is 2nd IMO; if you saw the Collector's Edition Bonus disk you would know that 99% of the effects are practical and the Academy appreciates that. For me TA is 3rd place.

I didn't know there was a hierarchy how the effects were produced... In the end, they award the best visual effects. Not the best practical effects.(And when you have a big CGI spaceship crashing in one big CGI alienship in the most spectacular scene of your movie...Bragging about 99% practical effects is a joke. That were not the practical effects that were outstanding in Prometheus, IMO). Edited by dashrendar44

I didn't know there was a hierarchy how the effects were produced... In the end, they award the best visual effects. Not the best practical effects.(And when you have a big CGI spaceship crashing in one big CGI alienship in the most spectacular scene of your movie...Bragging about 99% practical effects is a joke. That were not the practical effects that were outstanding in Prometheus, IMO).

I seem to remember seeing some of behind-the-scene stuff and that crashing shot was a combination of CG and practical minature effects. Although I'm not totally sure about that. My memory could be wrong.

I seem to remember seeing some of behind-the-scene stuff and that crashing shot was a combination of CG and practical minature effects. Although I'm not totally sure about that. My memory could be wrong.

I've seen VFX breakdowns, the ships were full CGI and the crash too. They shot Theron and Rapace running amok on the actual plate in Iceland. The rest is computer generated.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEffC2nj7xE

That one is epic:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdJYlKfyjg8

"99% practical effects". LOL.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Hopefully (I so want TH to lose something becasue it`s obviously winning for its horrid make-up) but AICN`s Quint says that WETA showreel really wow`d AMPAS so who knows?

Pi had the nom for BP, so TH can totally forget it. Pi had it in the bag already.

Out of the nominees I'd say The Avengers had the second most impressive fx

Pff... Avengers is a Transformers 3 clone in visuals.

Nah, Prometheus is 2nd IMO; if you saw the Collector's Edition Bonus disk you would know that 99% of the effects are practical and the Academy appreciates that. For me TA is 3rd place.

Its more like 80%, exact opposite of Avatar.
  • Like 1

You =/= Academy. 'Nuff Said. Effects aren't good enough to compensate for a shit movie, and the movie isn't good enough to compensate for run of the mill effects that any movie can have if they spend 200 million dollars.

Well they nominated Golden Conpass which had far worse effects, so I wouldn't have been suprised if they nominated Carter. Saying that a movie has to be good to have a VFX nod is one of the dumbest things I've heard...