Biggestgeekever

4 day Actuals pg 62+; MIB3 69.25m TA 47.22m

Why does it say TA - 11-12m on the thread title? Did nikki once again overestimate its friday?

That would be rth's estimate which is apparently more accurate than Nikki, I would prefer Nikki numbers in the thread title.

Maybe I'm weird but I found this interesting: Both Hunger Games and How to Train Your Dragon were released late March, were in the top 3 for exactly 7 weeks, Top 5 for exactly 8 weeks, and (if HG is in the top 10) top 10 for 10 weeks as of Memorial Day. HG was #1 for 4 weeks, HTTYD #1 for 2 weeks (almost 3).

Here’s the Top Ten (based on Friday estimates). Full analysis in the AM:

1. Men in Black 3 3D (Columbia/Sony) NEW [4,248 Theaters] PG13

Friday $18M, 4-Day Weekend $75M

2. Marvel’s The Avengers 3D (Disney) Week 4 [3,918 Theaters] PG13

Friday $9.5M, 4-Day Weekend $45M, Cume $523.5M

3. Chernobyl Diaries (Alcon/Warner Bros) NEW [2,433

Theaters] R

Friday $3.5M, 4-Day Weekend $11.5M

3. Battleship (Universal) Week 2 [3,702 Theaters] PG13

Friday $2.8M (-69%), 4-Day Weekend $13.5M, Cume $43.3M

5. The Dictator (Paramount) Week 2 [3,014 Theaters] R

Friday $2.6M (-53%), 4-Day Weekend $11.5M, Cume $43.3M

6. Dark Shadows 3D (Warner Bros) Week 3 [3,404 Theaters] PG13

Friday $2.1M, 4-Day Weekend $9.5M, Cume $65.0M

7. What To Expect When You’re Expecting (Lionsgate) Week 2 [3,021

Theaters] PG13

Friday $2.1M (-43%), 4-Day Weekend $9.0M, Cume $24.0M

8. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Fox Searchlight) Week 4 [1,233

Theaters] PG13

Friday $1.8M, 4-Day Weekend $9.0M, Cume $17.9M

9. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) Week 10 [1,421 Theaters] PG13

Friday $625K, 4-Day Weekend $2.7M, Cume $395.7M

10. Think Like A Man (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 6 [786 Theaters] PG13

Friday$450K, 4-Day Weekend $2.0M, Cume $88.9M

He said there was an outside chance but that was before Nikki posted at all, she's already updated twice. I think he posted a little early. Maybe if he updates again we'll have a better idea.

Edited by TheLombax

So with 300M budget... another huge dissapointment of this summer, right?

I'd say no. It restarts a dead franchise and really- no one asked for a a 3rd MiB movie yet here it is and i will make more than 550 m WW and it has a positive buzz . It means that a MiB 4 should be in the works and that people would want to see.

Based on those numbers, the top 10 gross is $188.7m for the 4-day. Pretty meh. Last year's top 12 grossed $268.3m, but it's better than 2010's $184.2m.It will ensure this May falls behind last May.

Edited by lab276

Understandable when a movie you like appears to be underperforming. But a lot of us liked the Avengers a lot and watching it reach milestones is pretty fun.

I agree with lab. Seeing multiple films doing well is infinitely more interesting. Plus, it also means that threads won't be continuously dominated by the monotonous fanboy dreck. When movie after movie disappoints it doesn't just become boring but you lose interest rapidly. There's no fun in that.

Last May had more films that were guaranteed to make money. Thor, Kung Fu Panda, Hangover, and Pirates; and then ones that did unexpectedly well like Fast Five and Bridesmaids. Only Avengers and Men in Black had a built in fanbase this year, and movies like Dark Shadows and Battleship were deemed uninteresting. It seems that it is no surprise that this May did worse than last May.

Maybe I'm weird but I found this interesting: Both Hunger Games and How to Train Your Dragon were released late March, were in the top 3 for exactly 7 weeks, Top 5 for exactly 8 weeks, and (if HG is in the top 10) top 10 for 10 weeks as of Memorial Day. HG was #1 for 4 weeks, HTTYD #1 for 2 weeks (almost 3).

There is only 1 wide release next weekend, so THG is set to spend 11 weekends in the top 10 (tying Inception) and maybe more.