Impact

Behind the Camera

Y9 is an experimental year for me. The next few years will be more of the juicy parts of my history.You dip your feet into the pool before you go off the high dive.

or before deciding not to.

So for Year 10 (in November) comes the next Star Wars film. I'm looking for a female director if possible, there aren't many to choose from. The safest choice would be Kathryn Bigelow, if she is available. One thought that occurred to me was Jennifer Yuh (Kung Fu Panda 2) as an interesting way to break an animated director into live action like Andrew Stanton and Brad Bird.

I'd be happy to hear other suggestions.

• Like 1

So for Year 10 (in November) comes the next Star Wars film. I'm looking for a female director if possible, there aren't many to choose from. The safest choice would be Kathryn Bigelow, if she is available. One thought that occurred to me was Jennifer Yuh (Kung Fu Panda 2) as an interesting way to break an animated director into live action like Andrew Stanton and Brad Bird. I'd be happy to hear other suggestions.

I honestly have no idea as there aren't many in the business. Jennifer Yuh or Jennifer Lee would be good choices. Unless it's a military or political kind of Star Wars film, I would skip Kathryn Bigelow altogether.

So for Year 10 (in November) comes the next Star Wars film. I'm looking for a female director if possible, there aren't many to choose from. The safest choice would be Kathryn Bigelow, if she is available. One thought that occurred to me was Jennifer Yuh (Kung Fu Panda 2) as an interesting way to break an animated director into live action like Andrew Stanton and Brad Bird.

You can always try looking at Live Action TV shows. Most series seem to have at least one woman directing an episode, including sci-fi shows like Star Trek and Firefly. 

You can always try looking at Live Action TV shows. Most series seem to have at least one woman directing an episode, including sci-fi shows like Star Trek and Firefly. 

I know, though for TV my preference would be someone on the prolific side. The only one I know off the top of my head is Michelle MacLaren, but I'd prefer to use her for something that ain't Star Wars.

Lynn Ramsay? She doesn't have experience with large budget pictures, but she could be an interesting choice. (Or Campion? But that's just a really odd choice)

Neither would be a good fit at all IMO. Neither have any familiarity with the scale or the sort of narrative/environmental mindset for this kind of picture. And after Lynne Ramsey's alleged behavior with Jane Got a Gun, I'd be hesitant to trust any director with that sort of behavior (walking off the picture on the first day of filming).

Edited by Numbers the One True King

Right, I have a question.

Implying and/or showing a not so graphic death (like a monster stomping a man) makes a animated movie PG-13 or can you actually pass through with a PG on that? (Consider it first without showing it, just implying)

Good question. I think if PG films can get away with showing guys plummeting to their deaths (without showing the splat), a PG film could get away with a monster stomping a guy so long as there's a cutaway before it happens or it's shown via shadows. But only once I think. Multiple/rampant stomps would push it into PG-13.

• Like 1

Okay... I might be replacing Flash 2 with a Firefly reboot (not keeping it on the same date obviously). Looking at directors and I've narrowed it down to four since I want to avoid the Whedon camp.

James Gunn

Russo Bros.

Bryan Singer

Doug Liman

Someone help my indecision!

Actually I'm using Singer for Amulet II, and he was the director for the first so of course he's directing the second.

Yeah, but Amulet's in Winter. Fate Stay Night is in Summer around when Blank plans on releasing his Firefly reboot (presuming it's getting released on the same date as Flash 2 was)