99 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Prometheus

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Decontamination is kind of moot at that point. Everyone's already exposed.

You're decontamination point works. Still though it is a bit silly that she keeps running and running and running just after having her belly cut open and having lost a lot of blood.

You're decontamination point works. Still though it is a bit silly that she keeps running and running and running just after having her belly cut open and having lost a lot of blood.

I agree it's somewhat silly. However, I appreciate the vague nod towards realism in that she's obviously in a lot of pain the whole time and even doubles over occasionally. :)

Decontamination is kind of moot at that point. Everyone's already exposed.

Although you'd think if Weyland is so uber concerned about living forever that he's come all this way to talk to his maker, that he might have at least flinched at the blood-covered person walking into the room and whether or not he might have a safety concern related to her. :)

If they can put you into hypersleep when you have only a few days left to live...thereby delaying your death...AND you can have TWO way communication with your android manservant the entire without lessening your remaining life span isn't that immortality of a sort already?

Edited by Adm56
  • Like 1

If they can put you into hypersleep when you have only a few days left to live...thereby delaying your death...AND you can have TWO way communication with your android manservant the entire without lessening your remaining life span isn't that immortality of a sort already?

Nope. Robo walking suits are a mandatory part of immortality. How ya gonna do that from a hypersleep bed?

Although you'd think if Weyland is so uber concerned about living forever that he's come all this way to talk to his maker, that he might have at least flinched at the blood-covered person walking into the room and whether or not he might have a safety concern related to her. :)

Not just that, but the fact that he hired a bunch of half-wits. I am a multi-trillionaire out to try and live forever, and the best I can come up with is this crew? Sheesh.

Calm the fuck down, you guys. Is it possible to have any sort of rational discussion without all the insults?

I agree that the insults are unnecessary - although I haven't insulted anyone in this thread. I've insulted the movie, but that's because I genuinely think it's a dumb movie.I don't mind silly popcorn movies, but when the first half of a movie promises profundity, and then in the second half it descends into a mindless monster-rama I think criticism is deserved. And inevitable.

Calm the fuck down, you guys. Is it possible to have any sort of rational discussion without all the insults?

Telemachos....I can tell you without a hint of sarcasm that you are truly the most level headed person I've 'met' on the internet. How do you do it? Medical grade weed? Yoga? :)

I've been a mod on another board and survived three years of hardcore LOTR vs LOTR loonie wars ("Purists" vs "Revisionists"). :DNow, just for shits and giggles, from another forum, regarding the PROM biologist:

You must not know many biologists. The ones I know, I'm pretty sure 100% of them would pet it. Especially while wearing a space suit.

edit, and a reply to that post:

I do not know if that was said in jest, but I'm pretty sure the ones I know of would pet it. They'd probably tell themselves they were aiming for collecting the specimen, but they'd do so by petting thema nd treating them like cute cuddly animals.

:lol: Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

Strangely enough despite my nitpicking elsewhere I never really had a huge problem with him petting the creature (despite it looking plenty menacing to me). I'm more troubled by how easily they get separated from the group and somehow miss the orgy that occurs back on the ship.Of course the sexcapades while they are lost brings up another thought about the lack of 'connective tissue' in the film. Are there ANY scenes where one character reacts to the actions or fate of another character for more than a fleeting moment? The only thing I can think of is when Shaw is crying on the ground while her boyfriend is put to the torch, but everywhere else everyone seems oblivious to their surroundings in the cut that we were given:Nobody asks Shaw about the staples in her torso or why she is covered in blood...When she talks to the captain afterwards it doesn't come up...nor that she just bumped into Weyland in the hallway while looking for some baby wipes to clean herself up with.And even when Shaw gets upset about her boyfriend getting torched she seems to get over it quickly. Of course he wasn't much of a boyfriend....he seemed to suffer from depression for one (Woe is me I wanted to meet a LIVE alien!) and despite the fact that she's upset about being barren he just wants to knock boots...selfish bastard.

• Like 1

yads, you did bring up one point I agree with. After the surgery, you know, how was she able to run so much. I mean, I thought the whole time those staples would burst, and I was like why doesn't Vickers want to decontaminate her like she did to her husband. And, everyone acts all normal like the blood over her is nothing. That did bother me a bit.

She did load herself up with plenty of drugs (whatever those injections were), and considering the year this movie takes place in I'd have to assume they are really strong and allowed her to get around right afterwards the way she did. And yes, the "petting" of the worm thing was stupid, but I think it was setup that those guys weren't the sharpest tools in the box to begin with, they got lost prior to that and did have advanced sort of protective suits on, etc.
  • Like 1

While I was very disappointed with this slasher horror movie I really liked Idris Elba and he gave the best performance and I remember his last scene the best other than the abortion scene Still though when exactly did Riddley lose his way ? Gladiator Blade Runner ????

• Like 2

His highs are really high and are scattered throughout his career. And I think it's fair to say that even his lesser films aren't all that bad. So I don't think there is a specific time where you could say he lost his way unless it's NOW.

One of the things that left the greatest impression on me is the engineers view of humans being a mirror into humanity’s mass view of androids and xenomorphs (especially if mankind plays a larger role in the creation/evolution of xenomorphs later on). The creator growing tired/afraid of its creation, in part because the creation (at least in some ways) becomes as great/strong as or greater/stronger than its creator. However, I do wish this had been a bit more developed than it ultimately was within the script, but I do feel that it is a key theme that is meant to be there.Overall, I just really dug this. The first half of Alien has always been my favorite part of the series by far, so maybe I’m just biased going in, but I absolutely loved the look and feel of the film (would recommend it on these aspects alone), I found it incredibly eerie throughout (which doesn’t happen to me much anymore) and I love that it isn’t trying to explain every little detail in a nice little package with a bow on top (whether it's intentional or lazy screenwriting is up to each individual viewer I guess). Major props to Fassbender and Rapace. Will likely be the first film I re-watch in theatres this year and can’t wait for a sequel. My two cents.A- (9.0/10)

Edited by JarJarBinks
  • Like 3

Not sure what else to say about the film, you guys have talked about pretty much everything. But I loved it. My only problem was they way they separated the biologist and the geologist. They just out of nowhere decide they aren't going to stick around anymore, and I can't quite figure it out.A-