Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

Leonardo Dicaprio is not a great actor. He has a fantastic screen presence and is always entertaining to watch. But a great actor he is not.

You took it one step too far... Even in this thread...

• Like 1

100%. Never get lost in his characters. Always watching Leo DiCaprio.

DiCaprio is great at acting and emoting. But since Gangs Of NY, he's really reminding you that DiCaprio is acting to prove that he is great at emoting, instead of striking you as a memorable character he sank himself into.(Even if the characters are quite memorable on paper)

Even in WOWS, he plays fucked up billionaire DiCaprio as a twisted biopic of himself, how he could have been if he went total nut Lindsey Lohan style due to fame, wealth and blonde model obsession. I didn't really see Jordan Belfort but DiCaprio telling you and showing you how great he is at acting fucked up and edgy like a bad DiCaprio döppelganger. (Like the last fourteen years have been nothing but "I'm no freakin' Jack Dawson hearthrob anymore, I'm serious business bitches!". Hence those "Leo craving Oscah so bad" memes).

(I don't know if the nuance is clear enough though because it's thin and that doesn't question DiCaprio's actual talent and genuine screen charisma as he is good and adequate for each roles he's been cast but it's a subtle feeling I can understand).

Edited by dashrendar44

Leonardo Dicaprio is not a great actor. He has a fantastic screen presence and is always entertaining to watch. But a great actor he is not.

I don't see how somebody can say this.  :o

That truly is an unpopular opinion. 

• Like 2

Perhaps you guys don't understand the craft of acting, if you think DiCaprio wasn't brilliant in WOWS.

Phil said he has great screen presence, which I take to mean his roles are enjoyable. The issue is does he "act" or just play himself. I'd say Dicaprio has been in a lot of very good movies, but I don't think he has exceptional range as an actor. And his accents are terrible/nonexistent. But is he still entertaining? Yes. And that's really what matters.
  • Like 1

The biggest actors of all time are the biggest actors of all time because they bring themselves to the role. They are the character but they are equally themselves. 

Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Sly, Arnold, James Dean, Robert Peck, Kevin Costner, Leo and so on. 

No offense Jay but I don't think any of the actors you mentioned are among the greatest actors of all time (save maybe James Dean for his short ill-fated career that intertwined with his reckless life to further his legend to this day but I always prefered Brando to him, imo).

(And I say this despite how much I love Tom Cruise and his genuine dedication in all of his roles. He must be the one with the largest acting range in that list with Leo)

No offense Jay but I don't think any of the actors you mentioned are among the greatest actors of all time (save maybe James Dean for his short ill-fated career that intertwined with his reckless life to further his legend to this day but I always prefered Brando to him, imo).

(And I say this despite how much I love Tom Cruise and his genuine dedication in all of his roles. He must be the one with the largest acting range in that list with Leo)

To be fair, he said biggest rather than greatest.

• Like 2

Phil said he has great screen presence, which I take to mean his roles are enjoyable. The issue is does he "act" or just play himself. I'd say Dicaprio has been in a lot of very good movies, but I don't think he has exceptional range as an actor. And his accents are terrible/nonexistent.But is he still entertaining? Yes. And that's really what matters.

That's it exactly. I think Leo is a very entertaining guy to watch and I always look forward to his films. But a great actor? I don't think so.  I don't believe he is capable of truly loosing himself in a role like, say,  the late great Phiiip Seymour Hoffman for example. 

The biggest actors of all time are the biggest actors of all time because they bring themselves to the role. They are the character but they are equally themselves. 

Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Sly, Arnold, James Dean, Robert Peck, Kevin Costner, Leo and so on. 

None of those people are particularly great actors IMO although they all have great screen presence 

• Like 1

That really is an unpopular opinion, and just plain wrong.

Edited by Jessie