Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

thread cracks me up because it's for unpopular opinions and everytime someone posts an unpopular opinion people are all "whaaaaaat?!?" like really? :lol:

Some opinions are not only unpopular, but mindblowingly ... strange.

Just curious: how?

Sometimes, some actor just doesn't work for you, no matter how good he is supposed to be.

But the thing that really puts me off with Matthew is his voice and his way of speaking,the way he mumbles all the time ugh, way too Texas for me, if that makes sense.

Also, not a big fan of his off-screen personna, his awards speaches last year were downright embarassing and awful.

The guy would fail any "humility" detector.

I really would have liked to see Interstellar with another lead.

Also, not a big fan of Cate Blanchett either, she is way too self aware and affected and her performances fail to have one tiny bit of naturalism to them.

Everything seems so calculated, so thought out and meticulously prepared. I bet she has a theory on how eye lashes must move ... she is spectacular for sure but most of the time she leaves me cold even in Blue Jasmine, the supposed performance for the ages.

With Blanchett, I never see a character, I see a virtuoso masturbating her instrument.

I rest my case.

Streep is also a viruoso but she manages to engage and involve you with her performances and she can have some naturalism to her.

Edited by A Grey Future

Sometimes, some actor just doesn't work for you, no matter how good he is supposed to be.

But the thing that really puts me off with Matthew is his voice and his way of speaking,the way he mumbles all the time ugh, way too Texas for me, if that makes sense.

Also, not a big fan of his off-screen personna, his awards speaches last year were downright embarassing and awful.

The guy would fail any "humility" detector.

I really would have liked to see Interstellar with another lead.

Also, not a big fan of Cate Blanchett either, she is way too self aware and affected and her performances fail to have one tiny bit of naturalism to them.

Everything seems so calculated, so thought out and meticulously prepared. I bet she has a theory on how eye lashes must move ... she is spectacular for sure but most of the time she leaves me cold even in Blue Jasmine, the supposed performance for the ages.

With Blanchett, I never see a character, I see a virtuoso masturbating her instrument.

I rest my case.

Streep is also a viruoso but she manages to engage and involve you with her performances and she can have some naturalism to her.

Agreed on MM but could murder you for what you said about Blanchett ;)

• Like 1

Agreed on MM but could murder you for what you said about Blanchett ;)

I am not saying Blanchett is bad obviously, she s a fantastic actress but her way of doing things doesn t'do it for me. Some people like to call her Ham Blanchett and I think that sums her quite well.

Blanchett strikes me as a great theater actress that didn t eraze her theater maneurisms when she jumped into film so she s alaways a bit over the top, the way you must be in theater if you want to be heard.

Edited by A Grey Future

I do think Kristen Stewart, is a better actress than people give her credit for though, she was great in "Panic room" and I know people complain about her in Twilight, but if you've read the book, she pretty much emanates the character.