Phil in the Blank

Unpopular movie opinions.

Lovely Bones is garbage and Peter Jackson is one of the most overrated director. Drama is soap opera saccharine with ham, humor is heavy-handed unfunny slapstick and corniness, action is over-the-top dragging on and on to the point of becoming numbing and tedious, everything is bloated to the max because he doesn't know the word "parcimony" and "tightness". He's like Sam Raimi with bad taste (pun intended) and more self-indulgence sweating throughout.

Lovely Bones is garbage and Peter Jackson is one of the most overrated director. Drama is soap opera saccharine with ham, humor is heavy-handed unfunny slapstick and corniness, action is over-the-top dragging on and on to the point of becoming numbing and tedious, everything is bloated to the max because he doesn't know the word "parcimony" and "tightness". He's like Sam Raimi with bad taste (pun intended) and more self-indulgence sweating throughout.

I also think he's over rated, but I love The Lovely Bones for a reason. I understand that people don't like it, but I loved it.

That's not really unpopolar. 32% on RT, I mean even the critics thought it was garbage.

Agreed, simply because his filmography is so strong. 

Yes. I'd put it ahead of Death Proof (obviously), about even with Kill Bill Volume 2 and Jackie Brown, and well behind all his other films.

I will probably get a lot of hate for this, but ...

the vast majority of films that get Oscar and Academy love are highly, HIGHLY overrated.

The reason you think so, is partly because only high-rated films can be over-rated, and getting the love from Oscar surely means a pretty high rating.

You can't expect people to say "TF2 is over-rated", right?

Edited by vc2002

The reason you think so, is partly because only high-rated films can be over-rated, and getting the love from Oscar surely means a pretty high rating.

You can't expect people to say "TF2 is over-rated", right?

Uh ...

I don't even know where to start with such a strange response.

No, you're wrong. Whatever it is you believe that I think, the reality is that to me, the vast majority of Oscar films are pretentious, boring, and simply not immersive experiences. There are a few exceptions, but that is what the vast majority of Oscar films are to me.

For me it has nothing to do with what critics think, even though yes many Oscar loved films tend to be highly rated.

However, there have also been plenty of films that have been Oscar-nominated or were Oscar winners that recieved mediocre or mixed critic reviews.

Edited by ACCA

Uh ...

I don't even know where to start with such a strange response.

No, you're wrong. Whatever it is you believe that I think, the reality is that to me, the vast majority of Oscar films are pretentious, boring, and simply not immersive experiences. There are a few exceptions, but that is what the vast majority of Oscar films are to me.

For me it has nothing to do with what critics think, even though yes many Oscar loved films tend to be highly rated.

However, there have also been plenty of films that have been Oscar-nominated or were Oscar winners that recieved mediocre or mixed critic reviews.

That's exactly what I meant. Many of those Oscar films you won't even call them over-rated if they didn't get the Oscars (or even nominations).

That "strange" response wasn't directly for you tho. I just think that the word 'overrated" has been over-used. I mean I saw some people calling Prometheus and Cloud Atlas over-rated, and that's pretty "strange" because those two didn't even get highly rated. They didn't have even an Oscar nomination. They were very average on RT, MT and IMDB. How the hell can you call them over-rated?

they mean overrated by the people who love it - which, if you don't love the movie...no shit.

i suppose the word overrated is overrated

Well, I'm sure if we want to bring some substance into the "overrated" discussion, the film has to be measured as "highly-rated" by some constructive means rather than just a person's opinion.