Neo

In The Heart Of The Sea | December 11, 2015 | New Trailer on Page 8

52 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Nonoe of the Avengers (except RDJ and ScarJo) has been lucky enough to hit the box office jackpot beyond their superhero personas.

Not even RDJ...but better than other avengers though....basically none of the avengers are a draw outside MCU

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Not even RDJ...but better than other avengers though....basically none of the Avengers are a draw outside MCU

Sherlock Holmes (524 million), Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (545 million), Due Date (211 million), and Lucy (463 million) say 'Hi!'...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Sherlock Holmes (524 million), Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (545 million), Due Date (211 million), and Lucy (463 million) say 'Hi!'...

Sherlock Holmes is again a franchise quite popular character...due date is an exception but its a multistarrer as well....lucy i have no idea how and why it did well!!

15 minutes ago, John Rambo said:

Sherlock Holmes is again a franchise quite popular character...due date is an exception but its a multistarrer as well....lucy i have no idea how and why it did well!!

My first statement was: None of the Avengers (except RDJ and ScarJo) has been lucky enough to hit the box office jackpot beyond their superhero personas.

Regardless of how or why, the reality is that two Avengers, RDJ and ScarJo, have had box office successes beyond the Avengers brand.

Also, let's not pretend that Due Date grossed  100 million in the USA due to Zach Zalwhatshisface. Also, do you honestly think that the two SH films would've grossed a combined billion dollars without the presence of a post-Iron Man RDJ??  Lucy...I'm stumped too, but  it was a big hit.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

My first statement was: None of the Avengers (except RDJ and ScarJo) has been lucky enough to hit the box office jackpot beyond their superhero personas.

Regardless of how or why, the reality is that two Avengers, RDJ and ScarJo, have had box office successes beyond the Avengers brand.

Also, let's not pretend that Due Date grossed  100 million in the USA due to Zach Zalwhatshisface. Also, do you honestly think that the two SH films would've grossed a combined billion dollars without the presence of a post-Iron Man RDJ??  Lucy...I'm stumped too, but  it was a big hit.

Yes these 2 have found success i agree with u! SH holmes with some other actor would have done decently...RDJs presence was just a bonus to already popular character....

I think the next time RDJ does a solo movie we can have a depth convo regarding this! :P not the right time 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Pratt?

As much as i like Pratt, he was lucky to have the one-two punch of fresh, original and awesome marvel comic book movie, and a decent but high on nostalgia Jurassic sequel. 

Let him do something completely out of his comfort zone and original then we will see how he fares. Ex: a movie like Rush , the judge, etc

Passengers will be a test of his and jennifer's box office pull (atleast opening weekend) regardless of how the movie is recieved.

Rdj has some pull depending on the type of movie. Sherlock +him is a great brand+actor combo, which works at bo. But his Oscar bait films have flopped.

Sjo turned Lucy, a no brand, R rated, poorly reviewed but entertaining movie into a smash hit...now that's something. We will see if it was a fluke or real thing when Ghost in Shell hits theatres.

Edited by marveldcfox

Like i said before, Hemsworth was given too many high profile roles before he proved his own worth. But If studios keep throwing money at him under some misguided belief that audiences actually want to see him, then that's their own fault and theyll keep losing money. Atleast hes doing more ensemble films now, because he cant lead outside of Thor franchise. 

I'd say that Scarjo and RDJ are the only ones with real BO pull. We'll see how Pratt does with Passengers and Magnificent 7, he's lucky  that he has equally famous stars in both those films though. So it still wont be a real accurate test.

Nowadays, being a "draw" is always a combination of sheer appeal and choosing the right project though. RDJ did great with Sherlock and sunk with the Judge (which wasn't well received by the critics). Bradley Cooper was considered to be somewhat of a draw and then he had a long string of flops this year (all of which, I think, also had underwhelming reviews). 

Basically if an actor chooses poor roles/movies, it doesn't matter how charismatic they are, they'll never be a so called "draw" IMHO.

5 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Let him do something completely out of his comfort zone and original then we will see how he fares. Ex: a movie like Rush , the judge, etc

IMHO "something completely out of his comfort zone" doesn't have much to do with this debate. It has more to do with proving versatility, but we're not talking about how versatile these actors are, just how much success they have outside the MCU. If anything, going completely out of one's comfort zone as an actor is usually more likely to alienate the audience.

Both Rush and the Judge flopped, after all.

Edited by JennaJ