A Marvel Fanboy

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice | September 6, 2024 | RIP Harry Belafonte

Liked it, didn't love, but a lot of great sequences that felt genuinely inspired. It's strange just how plotty Tim Burton movies insist on being these days, even for movies (like this) that really don't need it. Crazy unnecessary amount of characters and threads, but for a modern day Burton movie, and a legacy sequel for Beetlejuice, it's almost a best case scenario.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cinema pal said:

That's an office, not her apartment.

But she does live in LA) Or is it NY? I forgot 

New York and she mentioned a couple of times that that is her apartment. She has a LOT of paid members on her YT channel, which is why she is doing 2-3 livestreams every week nowadays. Unlike everyone here I quite like her. She has some weird takes sometimes, but she does have real insider info and she really seems like a decent human being.

• Like 1

I’ll eat crow on this one. Yeah the average rating is nothing special but with burton it was reasonable to expect yet another creative disaster, and clearly this isn’t that. Well done Tim, have a cookie.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I’ll eat crow on this one. Yeah the average rating is nothing special but with burton it was reasonable to expect yet another creative disaster, and clearly this isn’t that. Well done Tim, have a cookie.

Yep. Was admittedly disappointed that this was just another boring, safe bit of nostalgia slop, but I'll take a bland "greatest hits" sequel compared to what Burton put out the last decade. I just finished rewatching all his movies, and his run from Alice in Wonderland through Dumbo can honestly be a contender for worst run of 2010s movies for any filmmaker. Zemeckis at least has one or two bright spots in the last decade or so.

12 minutes ago, Eric Deetz said:

Yep. Was admittedly disappointed that this was just another boring, safe bit of nostalgia slop, but I'll take a bland "greatest hits" sequel compared to what Burton put out the last decade. I just finished rewatching all his movies, and his run from Alice in Wonderland through Dumbo can honestly be a contender for worst run of 2010s movies for any filmmaker. Zemeckis at least has one or two bright spots in the last decade or so.

I'm seeing the film later tonight (and in IMAX!), but within this past week or so, Tim Burton has said a lot of things that has changed my perspective on the existence of this movie. 

Sure, there's no denying that this is a legacy sequel made to cash in on nostalgia. That's like saying the sky is blue, but the fact that this film was able to bring back that spark in Tim Burton to continue making movies (when Dumbo could've legit been his last one) is definitely nice and shows that he really did need to go back to basics to rediscover what made him such a beloved director in the first place. 

To me, it's what makes me kind of thankful that Beetlejuice Beetlejuice exists. Not because we (the audience) needed a Beetlejuice sequel, but because maybe Tim Burton needed it. He needed to make a sequel to a film that arguably was the one that put him on the map as a director to regain that passion for filmmaking. It's easy to say that passion could've been reignited by him directing an original movie (and that's true), but if what I'm hearing about Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is true, Tim Burton achieved what we wanted. He made a film that isn't going isn't going to win any awards, but is just a lot of fun (like the original Beetlejuice). 

For me, that's what separates this film from other legacy sequels that purely exist for nostalgia and literally nothing else. I hope that I get that feeling when I see it later tonight. 

6 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Why do people give a shit about Grace Randolph? Like seriously.

Because she is a  pretty blond who is heavily into geek/nerd stuff . That has been her shtick since day one.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, Eric Deetz said:

Enven just an OK movie is a huge step up for Burton from what he has been doing for over a decade

.I would go further and say that "Big FIsh" was the last really good Burton movie. CHarlie and the Cholcolate factory has some good stuff, but was really flawed, and I think he blew it with "Sweeny Todd" ; should have had more respect for Sondheim's show. His cutting out the two best songs was, to me, unforgivable. 

Just rewatched the original in 4K.

It was great, you forget how little screen time Beetlejuice actually has though. 

Geena Davis, Winona Ryder & Catherine O’Hara are the stand outs. Iconic. 

Edited by Krissykins

48 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Just rewatched the original in 4K.

It was great, you forget how little screen time Beetlejuice actually has though. 

Geena Davis, Winona Ryder & Catherine O’Hara are the stand outs. Iconic. 

Yes, but Keaton is the one who dominates the movie, even when is not on screen.

Ryder and Davis were good. but  O Hara is the one who gives Keaton the competition .

But the ALex Baldwin  charecter was just boring. Pretty clear the in their scenes together that Davis was the much more talented comic.

Though Dick Cavirr has one of the best lines:

"You are a Flake, Delia. You always were a Flake. and If you want to scare people, stick to your sculpture"

And I had forgotten the homage to the Sci Fi Classic Fiend Without A Face when  Delia;s scupltures come to life.

Edited by dudalb

100m budget is great considering it’ll open to 100m+ domestically. It’ll easily be profitable… but I’m just kind of concerned with its overseas prospects. I think 100m is absolutely the floor for international considering it’ll open higher in a lot of markets than Twisters did, but I can’t see much higher than 200m OS at most.

Which, with, let’s say 115m OW domestic and decent legs (3x) would be 345m DOM, which should be 545m WW. If it does Twisters OS, it’d be 445m WW, and with 150m OS, 495m. I think on the high end, with 250-300m it could be 595-645m WW. So the range could be anywhere between 445-645m WW, it really depends on the international markets. And how receptive they are to a Beetlejuice legacy sequel. 

Edited by AnthonyJPHer

Really really dug this. Solid 8/10. O’Hara the surprise MVP. Cast as a whole is having a blast. Is it messy? Hell yeah. Is it a mess? Only if a singular coherent story is your top expectation. It’s very scattershot storytelling, it feels like there’s 10-15 minutes missing, and scenes were presented not in the order originally scripted. Do I care? Nahhh. Burton played to his quirky strengths, the practical effects/production design/costuming and makeup were all gloriously 80s. Even Danny Elfman was having a ball.

I definitely understand why pre-release chatter made it sound like this was a “collection of subplots”, but I enjoyed each of them and the return to/expansion of this world. The enthusiasm that went into making this film indeed jumps off the screen. It’s not perfect, or close to perfect, and it’s not as cohesive as the original, but it fully justifies its existence. And it’s gonna make bank.

• Like 1