Taylor

Weekend estimates pg 30 Brave 66.7

I am absolutely shocked AL is not flopping horribly. Who the hell wanted to see this crap?

Take away the ridiculous title and gimmicky premise and it looks like a fairly decent action/horror movie. I'm actually thinking of catching a matinee tomorrow, in 2D.

Fans of the book?

Until two weeks ago I'd never heard of the book in my life. I'd love to see sales figures because I must have been living under a rock if I missed it this much.

Until two weeks ago I'd never heard of the book in my life. I'd love to see sales figures because I must have been living under a rock if I missed it this much.

It's #84 on Amazon. I dunno, I was just trying to find a reason. I'm not exactly up on what's hot at the bookstore.*You may have been replying to my original post, which was a mistake since I failed to see it was the softcover version.

As I recall, it hit 7th on the NYT bestseller list. It was a bullshit book, but very popular, which is why I was pretty confident that this movie was going to avoid bombitude. Edited by rb02

AL is flopping hard already to all of those who think it isn't. If that doesn't make sense to you, reread this comment in 2 weeks.

How so? If it makes 20M this weekend, it should at least make 40M at the absolute worst, and probably is going to make 50M. The budget was 69M, and the overseas numbers should be decent. It isn't going to be a hit, but it is hardly a bomb, either.

AL is flopping hard already to all of those who think it isn't. If that doesn't make sense to you, reread this comment in 2 weeks.

Implication being that it will have bad legs and not make twice its budget back WW. I really can't argue, I don't see this making much after this weekend.

It truly looks like no film this summer -except for TA, TDKR, and ASM- will open higher than 60-65 million. And to think that some people still say that superheroes are played out.

Eventually, that will happen. Or at least we can hope and pray.

I don't get this...a few months ago there were many saying Abe was looking at 100m...now a 20m OW is "good"? It's not 9m, or less than 30m total, but this smacks of lowered expectations. And as some have noted, that 69m budget figure looks a bit dubious.

Honestly I saw no reason the movie was going to open above 10M. Yes, there was tracking, but that's essentially worthless.

Well, we all know it is gonna drop on Saturday. Maybe it'll drop off the planet by the weekend is over? :)

I don't get this...a few months ago there were many saying Abe was looking at 100m...now a 20m OW is "good"? It's not 9m, or less than 30m total, but this smacks of lowered expectations. And as some have noted, that 69m budget figure looks a bit dubious.

There was a club for over 100M (which was ridiculed), but the vast, vast majority of projections on this board have been for a colossal bomb of Jonah Hex proportions.

It's interesting how people dismiss the premise of ALVH as ridiculous amd gimmicky, and yet, I guarantee you that, had it been directed by some fanboy-favorite director, nobody would say that the premise is lame. And it would not be just a case of "well, if Joss Whedon or JJ Abramas or Matthew Vaughn or Chris Nolan or James Cameron directed, it would definitely elevate the film beyond the ridiculousness of the premise," no, I bet you that fanboys would totally rave about what a cool premise it is, how awesome those directors are for coming up with that scenario, blah blah blah.

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 2

It's interesting how people dismiss the premise of ALVH as ridiculous amd gimmicky, and yet, I guarantee you that, had it been directed by some fanboy-favorite director, nobody would say that the premise is lame. And it would not be just a case of "well, if Joss Whedon or JJ Abramas or Matthew Vaughn or Chris Nolan or James Cameron directed, it would definitely elevate the film beyond the ridiculousness of the premise," no, I bet you that fanboys would totally rave about what a cool premise it is, how awesome Whedon and Abrams are for coming up with that scenario, blah blah blah.

True, but hardcore fanboys at places at AICN tend to despise period settings (exceptions, most like Game of Thrones and about half don't despise LotR), so that's a factor as well. Even with a fanboy director, a period setting is going to repel many fanboys. Edited by rb02

It's interesting how people dismiss the premise of ALVH as ridiculous amd gimmicky, and yet, I guarantee you that, had it been directed by some fanboy-favorite director, nobody would say that the premise is lame. And it would not be just a case of "well, if Joss Whedon or JJ Abramas or Matthew Vaughn or Chris Nolan or James Cameron directed, it would definitely elevate the film beyond the ridiculousness of the premise," no, I bet you that fanboys would totally rave about what a cool premise it is, how awesome those directors are for coming up with that scenario, blah blah blah.

But none of those guys would direct this, so your point is kinda moot.