Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Will Disney's 'Big Hero 6' Be The Year's Quietest Box Office Smash?

Lost amid the would-be controversies over Interstellar and the robust debut of Dumb and Dumber To is the smashing success of Walt Disney's DIS -0.5% Big Hero 6. I talk a lot about how rank doesn’t matter, and that played itself out in fine form over the last week, as the film’s $56 million debut weekend, the top film of its opening frame, was brushed aside or treated as a footnote as we all obsessed over the critical buzz and scientific accuracy of Chris Nolan’s Interstellar. With most of the coverage focusing on InterstellarDumb and Dumber To, and now The Hunger Games: Mockingjay part IBig Hero 6 threatens to become a quasi-Tomorrow Never Dies, a massively successful film that earns its big bucks under-the-radar while more media-friendly films steal its press. Big Hero 6 will likely be one of the very biggest films, in America if not worldwide, of the holiday season if not the year depending on the breaks. Yet even debuting at the top of the box office, opening at-near record-levels for a Disney animated film, and snagging a record second weekend gross for a Disney animated film didn’t quite earn it the media attention it arguably deserved.

Full article here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/11/17/is-disneys-big-hero-6-the-years-quietest-box-office-smash/

• Like 6

Look at this :

https://yougov.co.uk/profiler#/Frozen/demographics

The typical profile of a Frozen fan in the UK.

This website from the polling firm Yougov is fantastic, you can try so many things, not just Frozen : USA, France, Paris, New York, political parties, TV shows...Enjoy this guys :D

ecKsDgY.gif

So, after finally finding time, I watched BH6 in 2d. I think it was really really nice. I was really impressed by visuals, it looks ridiculously good. Compared to that, HTTYD2 or anything else looks outdated. So much detail, it's delicious. Baymax was great and funny, loved his personality and quirks. Hiro was predictably...normal. Just a boy who grieves, he's also mini Tony Stark. Been there, done that. Not compelling enough and doesn't stand out much, especially among other more colorful guys. Still, execution is nice, so that's okay. Other characters had lovable personalities, but overall just caricatures. The movie really had no reason to be called Big Hero 6 until the very end. Japan rightly so named it just "Baymax". These people are smart.

The whole story was absolutely predictable and by the numbers. I still liked it, because I enjoy simple stories that are done in a right way. It touched some usual life problems and it did it in a relatable fashion. It'll also interest many kids in science and stuff, but a bit over glorifies it. Lots of sciencey words that kids won't understand, but perhaps that will make them even more interested, who knows. I liked the brother character and his relationship with Hiro was rather touching.  Baymax is a comedic gold, though. 

Soundtrack was pretty damn good with some unexpected melodies and themes here and there. Immortals song was great, I love when movies do stuff like that. Still, Eye of the tiger? Seriously? Not that I complain. Probably will download soundtrack right now.

What I didn't like is that Hiro as a "hero" was almost useless. He just rides Baymax, that's all he does. Also, animated movies seriously need to start being more than 90-100 minutes. Come on. And the whole plot about a villain felt a bit irrelevant and should've been tied better with a main character . 

Overall, I liked it. It's a heartwarming little story with some really nice drama and exciting action with funny humor. I think it's one of these movies that are infinitely rewatchable. Won't pay twice to see it in theaters, but will on blu-ray. Also, probably will try to get a poster. It just looks nice. I thought the movie was better than Wreck-It-Ralph and approximately on par with HTTYD2 (because I love fantasy more than sci-fi). Even like that I don't see it becoming a worldwide phenomenon or anything like that, it's a bit too simple for that. As far as Disney animated stuff goes, it's a worthy addition and if they decide to make a sequel, it can very well be among the top. 

Edited by portgas
  • Like 3

I think some reviewer didn't actually watch the movie:

In a unique take on the ordinary citizen who turns into a superhero, Big Hero 6 ads a different twist to an old plot. When trouble strikes, Hiro Hamada becomes Baymax. Who is Baymax, you might ask? He is a giant supersized inflatable robot. Parental Guide to the movies bets that you never saw that one coming. In his life as a supersized inflatable robot, Baymax, he must bring together a bunch of tech saavy kids to fight an evil villain. 

Yup. Hiro turns into Baymax in this movie.

how is that misunderstanding possible with them allways to be seen together?

What I didn't like is that Hiro as a "hero" was almost useless. He just rides Baymax, that's all he does.

That's what I thought too, but then again he created the whole thing. And also he's the leader. Without him, there will be nothing. So he doesn't just ride Baymax.

Even like that I don't see it becoming a worldwide phenomenon or anything like that, it's a bit too simple for that.

Maybe not worldwide, but it's already close to a phenomenon in some Asian countries (including mine). And I can see it become one in Japan. Not as big as Frozen of course, but pretty big. Baymax is already popular there before the movie even comes out.

• Like 5

Watched it last Sunday. Amazing visuals, touching story, fast paced action, lovable characters, and has a good message to children. It's such a great movie and I never got bored. Best Disney animated movie since Wreck it Ralph. 

• Like 2

That's what I thought too, but then again he created the whole thing. And also he's the leader. Without him, there will be nothing. So he doesn't just ride Baymax.

Maybe not worldwide, but it's already close to a phenomenon in some Asian countries (including mine). And I can see it become one in Japan. Not as big as Frozen of course, but pretty big. Baymax is already popular there before the movie even comes out.

It can be pretty huge in Asian territories, that's for sure. I bet it's gonna come close to Frozen in Japan. They love Disney and superheroes. Combine two and earn all the money.

Been listening to a soundtrack today. Immortals song is really nice and the theme "Nerd School" is probably my favourite in the album. Just a great tune. The music in this movie is definitely something else, a lot of unpredictable melodies. "Hiro Hamada" theme is a really strange one, it starts nice and peaceful and then goes into a weird aggressive direction. Really loving the whole soundtrack.

Edited by portgas
  • Like 1

Big Hero 6 does not blow HTTYD2 out of the water or anything else in terms of visuals. That's a joke.

Lego, Rise of the Guardians, Legend of the Guardians, Toy Story 3, Wreck It Ralph, Tangled...probably going to name a boatload more movies, but BH6 does not stand out in terms of visuals. It's great, but it's not better than anything. 

Big Hero 6 does not blow HTTYD2 out of the water or anything else in terms of visuals. That's a joke.

Lego, Rise of the Guardians, Legend of the Guardians, Toy Story 3, Wreck It Ralph, Tangled...probably going to name a boatload more movies, but BH6 does not stand out in terms of visuals. It's great, but it's not better than anything. 

Actually, it does blow them out of the water in two ways.  Firstly, in terms of the lighting.  The lighting (ambient and direct) in BH6 is far better than in any of these previous movies.  There was actually an entirely new software created just to handle the way that light falls in this movie, to better mimic the way light moves realistically.  

Another way in which it improves upon those movies is in unique populace.  Animated movies tend to reach a point of saturation in terms of how many unique characters there are - especially in movies that have crowds or large populations. Usually they're using 20-30 different background 'characters' and will repeat them in instances where there needs to be the impression of a large number of people.  For BH6 they created yet another new software (called Denizen) that allows for generation of a massive amount of unique background characters.  There are over 700 completely unique characters in BH6, each with different looks and ways of moving.  I would say this does, technically, blow those other movies out of the water.

Of course, when you say it doesn't stand out compared to those movies you listed, what you're talking about is in terms of overall style and look rather than these understated but very significant details.  And of course what is better or more impressive stylistically is more of a matter of personal opinion.

• Like 12

Actually, it does blow them out of the water in two ways.  Firstly, in terms of the lighting.  The lighting (ambient and direct) in BH6 is far better than in any of these previous movies.  There was actually an entirely new software created just to handle the way that light falls in this movie, to better mimic the way light moves realistically.  

Another way in which it improves upon those movies is in unique populace.  Animated movies tend to reach a point of saturation in terms of how many unique characters there are - especially in movies that have crowds or large populations. Usually they're using 20-30 different background 'characters' and will repeat them in instances where there needs to be the impression of a large number of people.  For BH6 they created yet another new software (called Denizen) that allows for generation of a massive amount of unique background characters.  There are over 700 completely unique characters in BH6, each with different looks and ways of moving.  I would say this does, technically, blow those other movies out of the water.

Of course, when you say it doesn't stand out compared to those movies you listed, what you're talking about is in terms of overall style and look rather than these understated but very significant details.  And of course what is better or more impressive stylistically is more of a matter of personal opinion.

Sal, you're THE boss B)

• Like 1

I bet it's gonna come close to Frozen in Japan.

That's pretty bold! :o I thought that I was being bold when I said I thought it could conceivably gross $150M in Japan (with $50M being a "realistic" expectation--still a big hit), but this takes the prize. Now what would really be bold is creating a club for it (probably a very lonely one). ;)

They love Disney and superheroes. Combine two and earn all the money.

Well, not live-action superheroes so much, but they've liked animated ones before, obviously.

Great post, and I agree. While global illumination has been around for several years now (Sony's had it for a good while and Pixar's RenderMan has it now, too), WDAS' Hyperion renderer was designed from the ground up to do a far more thorough job than had been possible before (in part by being so much more mathematically efficient), and it lives up to the hype. On a technological level, Big Hero 6 is definitely at the cutting edge in terms of natural lighting and rendering. It really is an advancement, and this shows (might not be that apparent unless you know what to look for, but people can still perceive it as being more believable).

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

WDAS and also Pixar have managed to invest in technology that makes their films look incredible as well as cost cutting, the Xerox machine for 101 Dalmatians was able to produce spots for all the dogs at a fraction of the cost, the CAPS system which was used in Beauty, Aladdin etc and Deep Canvas as well. I hope Disney keeps pushing technology, Paperman and Feast really shows what animation could be like in the next few years but I fear costs may prevent that. You compare a film by WDAS to Illumination or Blue Sky and the difference is stark although TBF to Blue Sky, they have made progress with Epic and Peanuts look impressive as well. 

• Like 2

Yep. The tech used for this movie is INSANE. Some shots looked real.

• Like 3

Guess I couldn't tell. As you said, it's part of the backgrounds, so perhaps for me, it didn't stand out as much. 

Also, if what you say is true, about Denizen, I find it funny why they didn't use any characters whatsoever for the car chase/building destruction. They have the software. 

Thanks for the insight though. In your opinion then, which films have looked good? Or is Big Hero Six now on the top?

I know not every movie coming out advances tech. Pixar supposedly used to with each film. Do you know a list? I know Tangled they did something for hair. 

• Like 1

Guess I couldn't tell. As you said, it's part of the backgrounds, so perhaps for me, it didn't stand out as much. 

Also, if what you say is true, about Denizen, I find it funny why they didn't use any characters whatsoever for the car chase/building destruction. They have the software. 

Thanks for the insight though. In your opinion then, which films have looked good? Or is Big Hero Six now on the top?

I know not every movie coming out advances tech. Pixar supposedly used to with each film. Do you know a list? I know Tangled they did something for hair. 

When it comes to my personal opinion... well... honestly the last Disney film I really liked visually and found unique was PatF, but I am completely and absolutely biased.  I love traditional animation.  It's what I wanted to get into and it's a disappointment to me that it's all but dead where animated movies are concerned.

I also give some props to the detail in Miyazaki films and I thought The Book of Life was just one of the most lush and pretty films I've ever seen, even if the style isn't exactly my favourite.