Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

So undeserving....

So bitter! :lol:

Overrated

Overrated better describes HTTYD 2 to some degree and The Lego Movie to a much greater degree.  The former has a lot of elements that don't make sense and come out of nowhere, while the latter is a bunch of pointless, annoying humor followed by long, slow, boring soliloquies that spell out the movie's minimally supported themes as though the audience were too dumb to figure them out (or maybe because they're so poorly supported by the rest of the movie).

If anything Big Hero 6 is underrated, at least by those who overrate its competitors and seem blind to their glaring faults.

Don't write off Moana already. It's from the directors of Aladdin and Little Mermaid. At this point last year, many claimed the Animated Feature award was between Lego and HTTYD2, and we saw how that turned out. :P

Yeah, sometimes the AMPAS actually has more sense than the majority of animation fans.

Not to mention it's supposed to be a musical. And we all know how insanely popular the last Disney musical was. ;):D

...and how unpopular the WDAS musical The Princess and the Frog was, however, which was coincidentally made by the directors working on Moana right now.  At this point I'm not writing anything off, but I think that some folks have been making too much of this.  Having any similarities with Frozen does not, in itself, imply any success whatsoever, in my view.  Not every musical is going to be a big hit and/or well regarded, and the same goes for any movie involving princesses or ice--it depends on how everything is put together and whether the elements, of any type, have appeal.  There are also things like zeitgeist to consider, and obviously this is highly unpredictable, being so subject to change.

• Like 1

Ironically, I kind of feel the same way for HTTYD2 now. The more I think about it, the less it holds up.

Same here, although I still do like HTTYD 2 a lot overall.  BH6 has its own faults, but it's easier for me to suspend my disbelief with this one, and I find it more consistently engaging as well as more appealing.  Its story may be more basic and predictable, but it seems more solid for it, and while it may not get an emotional reaction from everybody, I think that it does a more than fine job in this respect, and I'm sure that all of the people I heard sobbing in the theater (no shortage of those) would agree. :)

As for The Lego Movie, I never got the appeal of this one, and I've watched it several times by now with the youngsters in my family.  I just don't see the supposed greatness that gives rise to the sense of self-righteous entitlement that some of its more rabid fans--and maybe even its directors in some ways--have displayed.

Anyway, I have to say that while I liked many of the animated features of 2014, especially BH6, in my opinion the year as a whole is overrated regarding the quality of the animated features.  I think that 2013's offerings being so weak overall might have caused an overreaction to the improved quality of 2014's (on the average).  For me, among the American animated features Frozen was the lone standout of 2013, but I think that it would have stood out in 2014, too, quite handily.  Then again, I think it would have stood out in most every year, so there's that (and I'm sure there are some who don't see its greatness--sometimes we just view things in very different ways). ;)

• Like 1

...and how unpopular the WDAS musical The Princess and the Frog was, however, which was coincidentally made by the directors working on Moana right now.  At this point I'm not writing anything off, but I think that some folks have been making too much of this.  Having any similarities with Frozen does not, in itself, imply any success whatsoever, in my view.  Not every musical is going to be a big hit and/or well regarded, and the same goes for any movie involving princesses or ice--it depends on how everything is put together and whether the elements, of any type, have appeal.  There are also things like zeitgeist to consider, and obviously this is highly unpredictable, being so subject to change.

Honestly, I have an opinion on why TPatF wasn't well received.  

Not necessarily because it was 2D.  Not because of the African American princess.  But because of the setting.

Disney is well-known for having a more fantasy element to their stories.  The New Orleans ragtime setting was something that didn't really fit with the "princess turning into a frog" aspect kind of thing, and it clashed.  At least in my opinion, the New Orleans setting was dull and boring.  I honestly feel like it could have done better if it weren't for that.

Moana has the epicness going on it, specially they're going for the Polynesian's mythological stories, which is rare and unique to mainstream viewers. But then the concept of Atlantis and Treasure Planet seemed epic too, but they didn't end well.

Moana has the epicness going on it, specially they're going for the Polynesian's mythological stories, which is rare and unique to mainstream viewers. But then the concept of Atlantis and Treasure Planet seemed epic too, but they didn't end well.

I don't know why people don't but I personally really really liked Treasure Planet.

I don't know why people don't but I personally really really liked Treasure Planet.

The movie kind of falls apart when Martin Short's character shows up. It's got great promise and excellent worldbuilding and design, but doesn't quite deliver in the end.

Phenomenal hold in China this weekend. Potentially 100M is in play there!!!It still has a shot at top 10 WW for 2014.

Right now I think a range of 70-80M is more likely, March is quite crowded with at least one foreign release every weekend.

• Like 1