diskojustice

South Korea Box Office

Saturday Box Office (April 18)

-Admissions (Total adm)  Daily%   Gross  (weekly%)  [sC]  {wk}   <Title>

1.   183,558     (2,661,896) +108.%   $1.43m  (-25.2%)   [812] {Wk3} <Fast & Furious 7> 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.     93,936        (681,554) +84.9%   $685K   (-19.6%)   [619] {Wk2} <Salut D'Amour
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3.     59,754     (2,908,623) +88.1%   $447K   (-52.8%)   [517] {Wk4} <Twenty
4.     23,054          (55,575) +60.7%   $173K        (--)       [348] {Wk1} <The Gunman> 
5.     20,618     (6,078,198) +99.8%   $164K  (+3.03%)    [253] {Wk10} <Kingsman: The Secret Service>  

Total admissions: 450,741
Total Gross: $3,420,791
April Total: $45,533,733

Cumulative gross
Kingsman: The Secret Service: $45.46 million
Twenty: $20.62 million

Fast & Furious 7: $20.13 million

Current presales (Midnight)

01. 78.9% (355,901) The Avengers: Age of Ultron
02.   7.2%   (32,298) Fast & Furious 7
03.   4.4%   (20,016) 
Salut D'Amour
04.   1.3%     (6,032) Twenty
05.   1.0%     (4,437) The Gunman

• Like 9

Kingsman: The Secret Service is making a run for The man from nowhere's position as the 2nd most attended R-rated film which has 6,282,774 admissions. 90-95K admissions will separate the two films after Sunday. 

• Like 3

Kingsman has had a very impressive run. It has definitely shown some tremendous legs.  

Yeah agreed. Most films even with good word of mouth fall off a cliff after a few weeks but Kingsman is somehow still clinging to a top 5 spot. It actually increased today over Saturday of last week which is pretty surprising. Mediocre competition played a part for sure but it's still impressive. 

• Like 2

Iron Man 3 presales:

49 hours before midnight:118,000

30 hours:206,200

24 hours: 236,800

9 hours:297,000

3 hours:350,600

midnight:384,000

Age of Ultron presales:

7 days and 10 hours before midnight:153,200

TA2's around 357K in presales with nearly 4 days to go. IM3 tripled the presales over the last 48 hrs. I don't think TA2 will triple in the same time frame but should be able to reach 800K in presales. As Rsyu pointed out would easily set a presales OW record and overall presale record as well. 

• Like 4

Rsyu, how many screens will TA2 be on its OD?

No idea about the exact number, I don't think they report that ahead of time anywhere. Due to severe lack of competition though I'd say at least 1,400 possibly 1,500 which is what major blockbusters usually get during peak summer/winter seasons. It's interesting because there have been complaints over the years from various parts of the film industry that the "big three" multiplex chains gave most of their screens to the films they distributed in order to maximize their own profits. The good news for AoU is that it is freed from this potential controversy since it's being distributed by Walt Disney Korea, which has no ties to any of the Multiplex chains. Most theatre owners agree that other films should be allotted a fair amount of screens too but I wouldn't be surprised at all if AoU takes up to 70% of existing screens at it's peak.

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 4

TA2's around 357K in presales with nearly 4 days to go. IM3 tripled the presales over the last 48 hrs. I don't think TA2 will triple in the same time frame but should be able to reach 800K in presales. As Rsyu pointed out would easily set a presales OW record and overall presale record as well.

I cant see a scenario were it does'ent cross the previous presale record

The media in Korea is taking note of the high presales although they're focusing more on the percentage share rather than physical ticket numbers. I guess it makes sense in that the higher the percentage share is the more screens and showtimes it's likely to get. To date, the film that recorded the highest presale share was TF3 with 94.67%.

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 2

Presales look very promising, but I hope it'll have good walk-ups business as well. Legs will not be as good as the first (especially since that one had a fairly disappointing OW to begin with) but holidays should help a bit to balance out the frontloadedness nature of sequels.

That Kingsman performance though. Amazing in every way. I see A LOT of fan arts of the movie from the SK fans. Must be really popular among the teen and young adults crowd.

• Like 3

I read that there are released warnings against scalping tickets for AOU.   I think this also happened with Interstellar.  Is this common in SK with blockbusters?

I think it always existed but only started on a large scale with Interstellar. AoU is the first major blockbuster since then so we'll see how it goes. Seriously though if they want to reduce scalping they need to increase the number of IMAX screens. Especially in Seoul, 3 IMAX screens is no way near enough to satisfy demand.

• Like 1