Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, antovolk said:

Problem is, essentially the OS distributors can do whatever the f they want with this film. Plus, the OS distributors are more experienced than STX are.

in the US/with STX it's tougher because Besson/EuropaCorp still has say. EC were originally gonna self-distribute this till SLOANE flopped. And Luc's been chatting too much shit about Nolan/Dunkirk rivalry that moving would make him weak.

Hence why I laid the blame on EuropaCorp and not STX. Besson's ego is dooming his own film.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

When did they move it? It's coming out around the same time WW than in the US.

Not really. I think in most countries Dunkirk and Valerian are not coming out in the same weekend. Many countries only get it on the final weekend of July or in August.

• Community Manager

When did they move it? It's coming out around the same time WW than in the US.

I'm not that familiar with WW releases but I know it got moved in some countries. Hence I don't buy the OS vendors are somehow complicating this.

7 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

i don't like his tone too.

So i was kinda right...some critics won't get to see it until next week. But hey they are lifting embargo same day as Dunkirk so they are confident. Hopefully, it isn't a false one like Xmen apocalypse.

much like some won't see Dunkirk till next week too. There was a thread last week about screening schedules - many 'local' (non NY/LA) critics RSVPd for Valerian on the 17th then Dunkirk sends invite to screening at same time

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

As i understand it, Dunkirk has IMAX for weeks. Wouldn't do shit.

I think both Dunkirk and this have weird release dates. Valerian should have opened August 4 and Dunkirk should have opened in October.  WB should have kept Blade Runner in January. 

• Like 2

• Community Manager
8 minutes ago, antovolk said:

And Luc's been chatting too much shit about Nolan/Dunkirk rivalry that moving would make him weak.

Nolan hasn't said anything: it's not even on his radar! :lol:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Problem is, essentially the OS distributors can do whatever the f they want with this film. Plus, the OS distributors are more experienced than STX are.

in the US/with STX it's tougher because Besson/EuropaCorp still has say. EC were originally gonna self-distribute this till SLOANE flopped. And Luc's been chatting too much shit about Nolan/Dunkirk rivalry that moving would make him weak.

STX have no idea what to do with movies.

19 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Valerian can also easily be marketed as something you need to see in theaters (with the 3D angle likely being pushed in marketing).  A lot of reactions have mentioned how the 3D is great.  It's very easy to see how that will get near unanimous praise in the reviews.

Because of the early reaction, I am choosing to shell out the extra $2.50 to see it in 3D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harley said:

STX have no idea what to do with movies.

Think one of the trade reports said that the only reason Besson went with STX for the EuropaCorp slate is because they were 'financially attractive'

Just now, antovolk said:

Think one of the trade reports said that the only reason Besson went with STX for the EuropaCorp slate is because they were 'financially attractive'

Thanks Bad Moms

I think that translates to "No other company wanted on board and STX was the best I could do."

• Like 2

As a protest, i will boykott Dunkirk!

Not really. ;)

In Germany Valerian actually comes out one week earlier than "Nolan's latest masterpiece", so there's still hope i get to see it in IMAX. Please, movie Gods!!!

Edited by Elessar

2 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

lol. I wasn't saying "dick contest" just for the sake of it. It's a REAL thing. 

Is this coming out in IMAX?

BESSON: It will be in IMAX in most of the country and we don’t know yet. We were IMAX first on the 21st of July and then there’s this film called Dunkirk who comes on the 21st of July and because of the relationship they have for so long of course he will be on IMAX. So if they keep this date then we won’t be on IMAX in U.S. but in the rest of the world.

Is there a chance in the U.S. you might move away from Dunkirk or you..

BESSON: No, no.

So it’s coming out July 21st?

BESSON: It’s coming July 21st no matter what. We chose the date two years ago. Put the dates everybody’s ready because it’s not only U.S. it’s China, it’s Europe it’s everywhere.

You’re going that date around the world?

BESSON: Almost, yeah. You can’t move just because one director comes here. So we will go 21st of July no matter what. But we are in 3D so we have a 3D version and RealD and IMAX everywhere.

The comic is not well-known outside of Europe and the pic opens exactly one year from today … against Christopher Nolan’s World War I epic Dunkirk, something Besson is keenly aware of. Oliver Stone The filmmaker compared the impending box-office showdown to a race in which he would be competing with sprinting legend Usain Bolt. Besson knows he will lose but he wants to lose with honor, he told the Comic-Con crowd. “You will feel my breath on your neck,” was his message to Nolan.

• Like 2

As a protest, i will boykott Dunkirk!

Not really. ;)

In Germany Valerian comes out one week earlier than "Nolan's latest masterpiece", so there's still hope i get to see it in IMAX. Please, movie Gods!!!

sadly not gonna happen.

Dunkirk will be running on Imax for weeks.

Valerian really needed it. I guess will have to just find the best 3d theatre in town and with the biggest possible screen minus Imax. In India, the biggest multiplex chain is distributing this film. They have imax and 4dx screens. Maybe they will cheat and give this an Imax release..though it won't be authentic experience. Is a movie worth watching on 4dx?