Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

Can you feel this my friend? The smell of victory B)

The sound of twisting and turning, the escalation and desperation, the avid eyes looking for glimpses of hope that this will underperform for their own shady reasons... yeah, I can smell it. The American Holiday seems that will be very interesting for The Amazing Spider-Man. :shades:

Boxofficemojo's take on the midnight numbers;

While the Spider-Man 3 comparison is a flattering one (that movie wound up earning $151.1 million through its first three days), it isn't really an apples-to-apples one. With kids still in school, the first weekend of May rarely turns out strong midnight numbers, while all kids and many adults are off leading in to the Fourth of July holiday. Also, the way in which audiences attend midnight movies has changed noticeably in the past few years: the top eight midnight openings ever have taken place since 2009 (only five of the top eight opening weekends are in that same time frame). Finally, with the addition of 3D and the drastically increased number of IMAX venues, tickets for The Amazing Spider-Man are much more expensive than those for Spider-Man 3.

It's hard to predict exactly how The Amazing Spider-Man will fare through its first six days, given the lack of comparable Tuesday releases. It is clear now that $100 million is a guarantee, while $150 million also appears to be a very reachable figure.

• Founder / Operator

I think $32m is about where it'll be. I was wondering whether it could match Pirates 4 (taking into account that $4.7m midnight in May vs. $7.5m in July), but business will naturally be a bit more spread out.Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like Shawn's initial argument was in response to people saying it would have done significantly better, as in the same range as Spider-Man 3. Which is clearly bullshit.

Yes, pretty much. The implication from a few posts I saw way back was that the number was significantly deflated. That would be a lot more than $500k, in my interpretation of "significant".Considering it averaged $2,419 per theater -- even a $500k difference would have to translate to a couple hundred theaters having done this. We just have no way of knowing if it was 2-3 or 200. Edited by ShawnMR

The sound of twisting and turning, the escalation and desperation, the avid eyes looking for glimpses of hope that this will underperform for their own shady reasons... yeah, I can smell it. The American Holiday seems that will be very interesting for The Amazing Spider-Man. :shades:

$1B WW locked :wub:

It's hard to predict exactly how The Amazing Spider-Man will fare through its first six days, given the lack of comparable Tuesday releases. It is clear now that $100 million is a guarantee, while $150 million also appears to be a very reachable figure.

Should Baumer´s club be closed allready??

I vote yes

It is clear now that $100 million is a guarantee, while $150 million also appears to be a very reachable figure.

Boooo BOM, you are like MTV, one big fat unreliable source.

I'm having a meltdown.

Yeah, Sony is a stickler. They will get their money. During Smurfs opening weekend last year, they had someone come and do head counts. They didn't match with what we had in our system as far as tickets sold, so they charged us. It was a load of bullshit and it pissed me off because they were really wrong and still collected.

Should Baumer´s club be closed allready??

I vote yes

YES ! YES ! YES !

Yeah, Sony is a stickler. They will get their money.During Smurfs opening weekend last year, they had someone come and do head counts. They didn't match with what we had in our system as far as tickets sold, so they charged us. It was a load of bullshit and it pissed me off because they were really wrong and still collected.

Wow. Do studios often do that?