Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

250m would be a modest success when you factor in OS, but overall it's disappointing due to the fact it's Spider-man. Batman Begins and Superman Returns were coming off not just poorly received precedessors, but long layoffs and four previous films instead of three. According to many here, this was/is supposed to cross 300m on brand alone.

Who are the many? I know iJack posts enough about Spider-Man that you would think it was multiple people, but he doesn't count :P. I also think the longer layoffs would count in BB and SRs favor since there would be less of the "reboot already?" response that you see with TASM. Edited by Orestes

It's WW tally will be decent. That was never in doubt. Most of us expecting 600m OS minimum. We discussed this many times before. I don't want to hear the OS success crap from the loonies when it comes to the domestic disappointment. There's no two words about it, 250m would be an epic domestic failure for a 3D film that's predecessor with a toxic WoM adjust to 387m.

Edited by The Dark Alfred

Just saw this in 70mm IMAX 3D. The film blew my expectations away and I believe it will have tremendous word of mouth. I'll be very surprised if it doesn't hit $300m domestic. This should be a billion dollar worldwide performer.*the scenes which utlized the entire IMAX screen (ala TDK and MI4) were insane!

Edited by Clavius
  • Like 1

I am still hoping it somehow gets to the Billion mark. OS may hit $700m if the exchange rate improves and China explodes.That leaves $300m for Domestic, difficult but not impossible. 30M+ OD will give it a decent shot though.

"It's WW tally will be decent. That was never in doubt. Most of us expecting 600m OS minimum. We discussed this many times before. I don't want to hear the OS success crap from the loonies when it comes to the domestic disappointment. There's no two words about it, 250m would be an epic domestic failure for a 3D film that's predecessor with a toxic WoM adjust to 387m."Well would you consider TF3, Shrek 4, Pirates all flops?You cannot dismiss overseas these days, those days have passed.

I am still hoping it somehow gets to the Billion mark. OS may hit $700m if the exchange rate improves and China explodes.That leaves $300m for Domestic, difficult but not impossible. 30M+ OD will give it a decent shot though.

But imo, 750-800-900 it's all fantastic for a film that has so much ostensibly going against it. AFter all, this is basically a trailer for the second film. If this one does well overseas, and is liked overseas, then it will increase for sure for the sequel.
  • Like 1

It should hit 700M OS easy.

back to opening day numbers...Spidey is doing quite well today.For a work night its actually selling out a few 9-10 pm shows as well.Surprising...Easily the biggest opening day since TA and thats quite impressive considering its a normal tuesday.I think 30+ looks likely...

Edited by Lordmandeep

That is correct but it happened and it was glorious!

Is it worth shelling out 17 bucks to go see it in IMAX? I'm planning on seeing it again, but I thought I'd just go regular 2D.

back to opening day numbers...Spidey is doing quite well today.For a work night its actually selling out a few 9-10 pm shows as well.Surprising...

All the schools are out.

Is it worth shelling out 17 bucks to go see it in IMAX? I'm planning on seeing it again, but I thought I'd just go regular 2D.

Absolutely. This is one of the rare films conceived from the ground up for 3D (like Avatar, Hugo, Prometheus and others) so I think it is definitely worth it. I saw it in 70mm but I think the digital IMAX screens at AMC theaters are great as well (often better) and worth the price.