Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

Maybe some predictions were high, I agree but there is nothing wrong with fans being optimistic with Box Office, the thing is we all can predict our hearts out but you never know how an audience will respond. But I personally never though it would get anywhere near even Spidey 3 totals which was the low-point of the Franchise and again that made over 330 million and won the year. But that was cause of how loved Spidey 2 was. This is a new director who is not as famous as Sam and Garfield is not as famous as Tobey. It's been 5 years since the last Spidey movie. To me anything near 200 would be a success. If Brumer club came true and it got under 200 Million, Then Yes I would say it was a failure but I don't think that will happen. I know that's low for some but you have to look at the situation in full. Also let's be honest, this very well may past one of the Spidey's worldwide as markets have exploded overseas.

Oh come off it. You loonies are just trying to declare victory no matter what the numbers come in. :rolleyes:

Maybe some predictions were high, I agree but there is nothing wrong with fans being optimistic with Box Office, the thing is we all can predict our hearts out but you never know how an audience will respond. But I personally never though it would get anywhere near even Spidey 3 totals which was the low-point of the Franchise and again that made over 330 million and won the year. But that was cause of how loved Spidey 2 was. This is a new director who is not as famous as Sam and Garfield is not as famous as Tobey. It's been 5 years since the last Spidey movie. To me anything near 250 would be a success, if this gets to 275 then that would be closer to 300 Million, yes inflation and 3D fudges the numbers but that's good for a reboot and will be better than BB and SR. If Brumer club came true and it got under 200 Million, Then Yes I would say it was a failure but I don't think that will happen. I know that's low for some but you have to look at the situation in full. Also let's be honest, this very well may past one of the Spidey's worldwide as markets have exploded overseas.

I'm using up all my likes on you man

Are you sure it is 275+ or is it just 270.

Even at 270M, I'll consider it a success for TASM because it was a massively uphill battle for it. To me 250M or under would a disappointment for it. Movie's good not TA or TDK but solid so WOM should be good enough to push a 2 multiplier from the 6 days OW.

Huh. If it's significantly over $30m like that, then I admit I was wrong. It's the softest-feeling $30m+ OD I can remember, but maybe it's just my area.

Checking Fandango sell outs, it sure looked like the East Coast was doing a lot better than the West Coast, which is kind of strange.Weaker sales on the West Coast wouldn't bode well for later updates, but then I have no idea of knowing if the projections already take that into account, heh. Edited by Biggestgeekever

I am thinking why Gitesh has 37m as the high end. Even the remotest possibility of that happening bodes very well for TASM's run.

That's just huge, doing 30M without MID.

Oh, what a surprise!

Even at 270M, I'll consider it a success for TASM because it was a massively uphill battle for it. To me 250M or under would a disappointment for it. Movie's good not TA or TDK but solid so WOM should be good enough to push a 2 multiplier from the 6 days OW.

Right. I thought it would be a success because of Spider Man's name alone. Dont cry about uphill battle stuff when numbers come in. :rolleyes:

Checking Fandango sell outs, it sure looked like the East Coast was doing a lot better than the West Coast, which is kind of strange.

Yeah, it was the opposite for Avengers if I remember. Well, maybe it wasn't "a lot better", but it was still better.

Checking Fandango sell outs, it sure looked like the East Coast was doing a lot better than the West Coast, which is kind of strange.Weaker sales on the West Coast wouldn't bode well for later updates, but then I have no idea of knowing if the projections already take that into account, heh.

Think it's a New York thing?

I might be predicting things with the heart of a fanboy. I might be wrong about getting to $400m or even $300m. But the feeling that this film deserves the love that it's getting it's what it's true about cinema for me. I've been saying this since I did my $400m prediction: box office is the after thought, what is important is to make justice to the mythos and the film be good enough that I can fall in love with.Rallax was teasing me saying that I'll love it and say it's the best film of all time. I don't know, maybe I will. And I don't know where is the shame on that. That's what cinema is about, being passionate about what you see in the big screen, be moved by a movie to the point that you'll talk for hours to no end. I feel this film has achieved something very special here, and I truly hope that it makes every penny that it makes, and that they come back with a sequel two years from now even better than this one. This is a special year for comic book films, this is a special year for Spider-Man, and if there is one film that I'm rooting like crazy, it's this one. I never did this for any single other film, and I know that I haven't seen it yet, but I feel that it deserve that. If not for its quality that people that I trust have assured me countless times, for all the cynicism and hate for something that wasn't even out yet.Go Spidey, keep swinging. :spidey:

Edited by iJackSparrow

It doesn't matter much if it is 250m or 275m. The big picture is the WW gross.I am sure Sony would take 250M DOM/ 700M OS over 300M DOM / 550M OS any day.

Depends on their percentage of gross in each market. They have more control over the domestic market. 90% or more of the revenue from the first two weeks in North America goes to the distributor for big films like this one. In overseas markets they don't get that high of a percentage, especially not when dealing with difficult governments like China.

It doesn't matter much if it is 250m or 275m. The big picture is the WW gross.I am sure Sony would take 250M DOM/ 700M OS over 300M DOM / 550M OS any day.

So I guess that Spider Man can't just depend on name brand alone and that a reboot can still make some money at the end of the day.