Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

Exactly and Superman was coming off Christopher Reeves Death and 20 years of a gap and Batman was coming off Batman and Robin and an 8 year gap. TASM is coming off Spider-man 3 only a 5 years gap which though Hated, broke records and still did over 300 Million. The fact is this was NEVER going to sell as many tickets as the original trilogy. That wasn't even the plan, the plan was to re-establish Spidey to a new generation and I think after this weekend they will have done that. I expect TASM 2 to increase over this one's overall total.

I still dont see how 250M is a bar of success when 300M and 400M were thrown out with reckless abandon. Edited by JackO
  • Like 1

Exactly and Superman was coming off Christopher Reeves Death and 20 years of a gap and Batman was coming off Batman and Robin and an 8 year gap. TASM is coming off Spider-man 3 only a 5 years gap which though Hated, broke records and still did over 300 Million. The fact is this was NEVER going to sell as many tickets as the original trilogy. That wasn't even the plan, the plan was to re-establish Spidey to a new generation and I think after this weekend they will have done that. I expect TASM 2 to increase over this one's overall total.

I've talked with a movie critic that REALLY loved The Amazing Spider-Man and he told me something that I can't take off of my head:

"Passion always is stronger than hate".

No matter how cynic people are been towards this, the social networks are on fire with this film, this is the new generation Spider-Man, and I'm happy to see that is something that people like me are defending so adamantly, and I haven't even seen the thing yet, it premieres here just Friday. My point is, this film faced all kind of irrational hate throwed against it, and it's still coming out swinging. That's no Superman Returns and that I know for fucking sure.

• Like 1

I still dont see how 250M is a bar of success when 300M and 400M were thrown out with reckless abandon.

Maybe some predictions were high, I agree but there is nothing wrong with fans being optimistic with Box Office, the thing is we all can predict our hearts out but you never know how an audience will respond. But I personally never though it would get anywhere near even Spidey 3 totals which was the low-point of the Franchise and again that made over 330 million and won the year. But that was cause of how loved Spidey 2 was. This is a new director who is not as famous as Sam and Garfield is not as famous as Tobey. It's been 5 years since the last Spidey movie. To me anything near 250 would be a success, if this gets to 275 then that would be closer to 300 Million, yes inflation and 3D fudges the numbers but that's good for a reboot and will be better than BB and SR. If Brumer club came true and it got under 200 Million, Then Yes I would say it was a failure but I don't think that will happen. I know that's low for some but you have to look at the situation in full. Also let's be honest, this very well may past one of the Spidey's worldwide as markets have exploded overseas. Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2