Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

Oh sure. Let's throw a great big monkey wrench into what you're working on and see how well you do. It's not that easy when the studio is messing with you. Do you think Nolan could

make TDK under that kind of studio strongarming crap? In case you're wondering the answer is NO.

Yes, he is the director so he should have made it work and he could have made it work but instead decided to turn the story into a comedy!

Raimi is to blame here

Edited by John Marston

Yes, he is the director so he should have made it work and he could have made it work but instead decided to turn the story into a comedy! Raimi was not blameless here at all

No he could not have made it work because it did not fit with the vision he had for the film. It screwed everything up and as such the whole film got screwed up. Any director would have had the same results, and they do have the same results when similar studio shenanigans happen.

Raimi never got the Venom character, he then read up and still didn't understand. Asking Raimi to depict a character he openly didn't like was just stupid and sure to backfire."Sam Raimi said it was producer Avi Arad who was responsible for bringing in Venom. "Once we finished the story, Avi our producer and partner and the former head of Marvel comic books, said, ‘Sam, listen, you are so aware of all of these 70’s villains but you really need to incorporate Venom into this story because the fans really love Venom, and don’t be so selfish with villains that you know and love.’ "

No he could not have made it work because it did not fit with the vision he had for the film. It screwed everything up and as such the whole film got screwed up. Any director would have had the same results, and they do have the same results when similar studio shenanigans happen.

He should of quit the movie, if he felt Sony was overpowering him and making the artistic decisions for him instead we got utter crap.

He should of quit the movie, if he felt Sony was overpowering him and making the artistic decisions for him instead we got utter crap.

Well if it makes you feel any better it's for that exact reason why he did quit SM4. Sony was pulling the same crap on him and he wasn't about to go through that again.
  • Like 1

Well if it makes you feel any better it's for that exact reason why he did quit SM4. Sony was pulling the same crap on him and he wasn't about to go through that again.

It doesn't, sadly. Raimi should have told them point blank, I don't understand the character at all. If you want him in the movie, find somebody else to direct your movie.

Raimi never got the Venom character, he then read up and still didn't understand. Asking Raimi to depict a character he openly didn't like was just stupid and sure to backfire."Sam Raimi said it was producer Avi Arad who was responsible for bringing in Venom. "Once we finished the story, Avi our producer and partner and the former head of Marvel comic books, said, ‘Sam, listen, you are so aware of all of these 70’s villains but you really need to incorporate Venom into this story because the fans really love Venom, and don’t be so selfish with villains that you know and love.’ "

sorry but that doesn't fly with me. Even if he was forced to include Venom and the symbiote storyline he should have made the best possible movie he could, not make a totally half assed, sloppily made film. I mean, let's say Christopher Nolan was "Forced" By the studio to put Catwoman in the movie even if he didn't want to do it. I would still expect him to do the best he can in the situation, not totally half ass the film and make everything in the film as stupid as possible. Edited by John Marston

It doesn't, sadly. Raimi should have told them point blank, I don't understand the character at all. If you want him in the movie, find somebody else to direct your movie.

As if it's that easy when you've directed two movies in the series and built relationships with the cast, crew and even characters.

As if it's that easy when you've directed two movies in the series and built relationships with the cast, crew and even characters.

Not to mention the legions of fans who would feel like he abandon them and turned his back on them if he just suddenly quit the project. Obviously a lot of those said fans felt really disappointed anyways when they saw the movie, but the whole thing was just a lose lose situation there. There wasn't gonna be a good outcome.
  • Like 1

sorry but that doesn't fly with me. Even if he was forced to include Venom and the symbiote storyline he should have made the best possible movie he could, not make a totally half assed, sloppily made film. I mean, let's say Christopher Nolan was "Forced" By the studio to put Catwoman in the movie even if he didn't want to do it. I would still expect him to do the best he can in the situation, not totally half ass the film and make everything in the film as stupid as possible.

Nolan wouldn't be forced to include anybody, and after SM2 neither should Raimi. Besides, who is to say that Raimi didn't do the best with the situation? If Nolan turned in a draft of TDK or TDKR and WB said, "Add Penguin", the entire script would have to change and I dare say even Nolan would be pressed to turn out a solid product.Regardless, it's a situation he shouldn't have been in.
  • Like 1

Nolan wouldn't be forced to include anybody, and after SM2 neither should Raimi. Besides, who is to say that Raimi didn't do the best with the situation? If Nolan turned in a draft of TDK or TDKR and WB said, "Add Penguin", the entire script would have to change and I dare say even Nolan would be pressed to turn out a solid product.Regardless, it's a situation he shouldn't have been in.

Exactly. Can you imagine if Nolan had been told to add someone like Penguin to the TDK movie we got? I'd LOVE to see anyone here even attempt to tell me that wouldn't have wreaked utter havoc on that film and possibly destroyed it.

also, Sandman being Uncle Ben's killer (a totally retarded twist) was all Raimi.

Random meteroite, symbiote, Eddie Brock, Venom, Gwen Stacy and her dad, jazz, dancing and emo Pete were all Sony or indirectly caused by their interventions.

Exactly. Can you imagine if Nolan had been told to add someone like Penguin to the TDK movie we got? I'd LOVE to see anyone here even attempt to tell me that wouldn't have wreaked utter havoc on that film and possibly destroyed it.

He probably would have changed Maroni to Penguin (likely never calling him Penguin, just his normal name Oswald Cobblepot) and obviously neutered the silly aspects of the character. Considering how Nolan's universe is a separate realm from the comics and uses comic arcs purely as an inspirational touchstone, a change like that wouldn't have hurt the film at all (especially since we'd have gotten a more conclusive resolution to that character).

Random meteroite, symbiote, Eddie Brock, Venom, Gwen Stacy and her dad, jazz, dancing and emo Pete were all Sony or indirectly caused by their interventions.

But who said there had to be jazz dancing and emo Peter? Those things are not part of the that storyline. Raimi added that shit in

This is really starting to make me sad all over again for what kind of movie SM3 could have been sans Sony's BS. :(And just think if SM3 had lived up to its predecessors we'd almost surely have SM4 now instead of TASM.Damn Sony straight to hell. :angry: :angry: :angry:

But who said there had to be jazz dancing and emo Peter? Those things are not part of the that storyline. Raimi added that shit in

And he wouldn't have if Sony hadn't intervened, which was the exact point I was making.