Fullbuster

Man of Steel thread OS

I would say it is looking at 300m state side and 475 international for 775 ww, just about twice superman returns.

We should use something other than the romantic SR as a target.

That movie is a romance disguised as a superhero movie.

That's also the reason why CAPTAIN AMERICA didn't do as well as IM...

I don't agree with that, because based on that logic CA would've done as well as IM domestically but it barely made half of it. 

Both spiderman 1 and 3 had sweeping american flag shots and did just fine.

MOS has done fantastic biz so far for a reboot of a stagnant franchise (unlike ASM which was a reboot of a thriving franchise, atleast commercially).

If this film matches your guys' predictions of 350 mill + OS then that would be great.

• Like 1

I don't agree with that, because based on that logic CA would've done as well as IM domestically but it barely made half of it. Both spiderman 1 and 3 had sweeping american flag shots and did just fine.MOS has done fantastic biz so far for a reboot of a stagnant franchise (unlike ASM which was a reboot of a thriving franchise, atleast commercially).If this film matches your guys' predictions of 350 mill + OS then that would be great.

Spider-man wasn't thriving before ASM.The domestic gross was droping like a rock since SM1 and critics hated SM3.ASM2 should be the first Spider-man movie to increase domestically from the previous movie. The reboot saved a dying franchise.
  • Like 1

Spider-man wasn't thriving before ASM.The domestic gross was droping like a rock since SM1 and critics hated SM3.ASM2 should be the first Spider-man movie to increase domestically from the previous movie. The reboot saved a dying franchise.

Internationally it was thriving and more than made up for the domestic deficit.

• Like 2

Internationally it was thriving and more than made up for the domestic deficit.

I think SM3 was successful base on expanded markets at the time, but also because of the goodwill build by both Spider Man 1 & 2. Both movies' qualities are regarded highly, people love them. Spider Man 3 benefited from that, but the reception towards the movie, I would say, was not favorable at all, both domestic and overseas.

MoS in the UK is on course to outgross TASM, its already at $33.5m while TASM was at $29.3m in its second week and that went on to gross $40.2m total. It held up pretty well against WWZ and DM2 previews so I think it should have good drops until the release of Monsters Universty and Pacific Rim. $45-50m will likely be the final gross for MoS which would be fantastic.

• Like 1

I always said IM1 as the target. Anything more is gravy so I am happy lol

Agreed. It didn't need to be IM3, TDK, or TDKR. It just needed to be the equivalent of IM1 or TASM. That it is. Thats all that can be asked of this movie and in that expectation it has succeeded and will get to $700+. When MoS2 comes around though, that's an entirely different conversation. 

Edited by witness
  • Like 2

Doesn't matter whether it can pass TASM really. 400M+ OS is mighty fine for a reboot. MOS is also doing better than TASM domestically, so everything's good.

Interestingly enough, if you take out Walmart tickets from the equation, MOS and TASM second weekends were nearly identical. Now the key is if MOS will keep having legs to keep the advantage or it'll fall behind eventually. I've MOS pegged at $275m-$285m DOM at this point.  

Not entirely sure about OS, but I feel like it'll do amazing numbers for a reboot, while TASM keeps the crown as most successful reboot worldwide, with MOS taking the 1st spot in DOM. 

Edited by iKent

Interestingly enough, if you take out Walmart tickets from the equation, MOS and TASM second weekends were nearly identical. Now the key is if MOS will keep having legs to keep the advantage or it'll fall behind eventually. I've MOS pegged at $275m-$285m DOM at this point.  

Not entirely sure about OS, but I feel like it'll do amazing numbers for a reboot, while TASM keeps the crown as most successful reboot worldwide, with MOS taking the 1st spot in DOM. 

That's not interesting, it's an extremely flawed comparison. You just gave TASM a 3.5 day headstart on MOS with that comparison since TASM has previews on Monday and a full release on Tuesday.

• Like 1

MoS should clean up well in Australia. Like it did in another English-speaking country, the UK.

It is not unrealistic to expect it to do $40M down under.

It is, this isn't making more than IM3.

;)

I agree.. This reboot is way better than TASM and it  certainly looking to out gross

it..Whats more impressive is TASM rode the coattails of Tobey Maguires and Raimi's Spiderman ROFL

in the billon+ adjusted SM3.. MOS is going to beat it and coming off a huge letdown by fans and flop

at tbox office. MOS2 is practically guranteed  to be a billion dollar movie with the right story

and improving on MOS1. :)

• Like 1