CJohn

Oz: The Great and the Powerful OS thread

According to BO.com" Disney's Oz: The Great and Powerful continuesdown the road to success, posting an overseasweekend estimate of $46.6 million, bringing itsoverseas cume to $136.8 million and its globaltotal to $281.8 million. Oz is currently playing in55 territories, already covering 85% of the globalmarket. The film is poised to continue its successwith upcoming release dates in China and France,two of the most important territories."I thought France already opened this weekend?

According to BO.com" Disney's Oz: The Great and Powerful continuesdown the road to success, posting an overseasweekend estimate of $46.6 million, bringing itsoverseas cume to $136.8 million and its globaltotal to $281.8 million. Oz is currently playing in55 territories, already covering 85% of the globalmarket. The film is poised to continue its successwith upcoming release dates in China and France,two of the most important territories."I thought France already opened this weekend?

it did, they made a mistake.  In fact, it seems to be open absolutely everywhere now except China

Edited by John Marston

I suppose so... we even had France OD reported in the forum.Well 3x multiplier from here will take it to 230m, which shouldn't be very difficult. With holidays coming, it may reach 250m from current markets.With around 225m from domestic, it would be upto China to take it to 500m WW mark.

china gross studios only get 25% profit so i always try to exclude china where i can

so overall OZ great and powerful has been disappointing

it has $325M production and marketing budget.

worldwide final gross ex china will be around $460-470 m or so.

poor overall. most big budget films you want to see 2x production and marketing budget. e.g. transformers ones gross around $1bn ish on around $300m combined budgets which is good.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 1

china gross studios only get 25% profit so i always try to exclude china where i can

poor overall. most big budget films you want to see 2x production and marketing budget. e.g. transformers ones gross around $1bn ish on around $300m combined budgets which is good.

You wrote pretty much the same on imdb, right?

Incredible! The goalposts have been moved even further!!!

first it was the film must make 2X the production budget WW, then it became 2X the production + marketing WW, and now it's 2X production + marketing WW excluding China.

Whats next? Exclude Russia? add the salaries of the studio executives? How long before Avatar becomes a flop?

• Like 1

They try to replicate ALICE IN WONDERLAND magic & so far Disney has not succeeded...

What is it about ALICE? Johnny Depp is hit or miss as a movie star. The 3D is nothing new. Right time to release?

A little darker than OZ perhaps? 

They try to replicate ALICE IN WONDERLAND magic & so far Disney has not succeeded...What is it about ALICE? Johnny Depp is hit or miss as a movie star. The 3D is nothing new. Right time to release?A little darker than OZ perhaps?

Depp, Burton, and AiW is more well known. But I'm thinking Depp and Burton were the biggest reasons.

Incredible! The goalposts have been moved even further!!!first it was the film must make 2X the production budget WW, then it became 2X the production + marketing WW, and now it's 2X production + marketing WW excluding China.Whats next? Exclude Russia? add the salaries of the studio executives? How long before Avatar becomes a flop?

Maybe its just me but for whatever reason it seems like this board is looking for any reason for failure. Could be just the general BO malaise.
  • Like 1

Incredible! The goalposts have been moved even further!!!

first it was the film must make 2X the production budget WW, then it became 2X the production + marketing WW, and now it's 2X production + marketing WW excluding China.

Whats next? Exclude Russia? add the salaries of the studio executives? How long before Avatar becomes a flop?

its obvious that this has been less than successful film. i am not saying its a financial disaster or major flop. but its a mild flop/no profit scenario for the studio. you cant deny this.. there will NOT be a sequel.

in the USA it is already tanking. there is no interest for this film. any big budget film doing John carter type numbers internationally is a bit of a flop isn't it?

Edited by Halba

No, I think it's successfull enough to warrant a sequel. You can't compare this to John Carter as it is:

- very strong in its home market

- a nice asset for theme parks and tv networks

- plus it will probably do better on DVD/BD

This is a very US-centric film, same as baseball films, US history films (no, Lincoln did not set the BO on fire in Europe) and most superhero films. While I suppose Disney were after a bigger chunk of the OS market, they don't really need it.

• Like 1