CJohn

Star Trek 2 OS thread

Having a big percent increase OS is much easier when you start at a low point than when you have already made big numbers, which is why STID's numbers are not very impressive.

Taken in a vacuum or compared to bigger franchises, the STID numbers aren't good. When you compare them to other ST films, they're excellent (even taking into account market expansion and the like).

• Like 1

No it hasn't, the first three Fast films made less than the 2009 Star Trek and the fourth made less than STID.Having a big percent increase OS is much easier when you start at a low point than when you have already made big numbers, which is why STID's numbers are not very impressive.

Yeah you're right. Fast series used to be a poor performer overseas like Trek and has now increased to 500m without 3D

Taken in a vacuum or compared to bigger franchises, the STID numbers aren't good. When you compare them to other ST films, they're excellent (even taking into account market expansion and the like).

You hit the nail on the head. Unlike Marvel or other franchises who were behemoth very quickly OS for Star:Trek it was been a long slow haul but my future expectation is that Star Trek will continue to get bigger and 3rd could hit 350M OS. Key is Latin America and Asia as they have potential for big grosses especially China which unexpectedly showed great potential for the sequel to STID.  :D

When you take into account how the OS market is known to behave, it's not excellent, just ok. For films performing at this level sequels have been known to have similar or bigger increases than STID:

RE3: 97M

RE4: 236M

Taken: 82M

Taken 2: 236M

An example of an excellent OS increase would be from Batman Begins 167M to TDK 470M, but STID increase was less than any of these so I wouldn't call it excellent.

• Like 2

When you take into account how the OS market is known to behave, it's not excellent, just ok. For films performing at this level sequels have been known to have similar or bigger increases than STID:

RE3: 97M

RE4: 236M

Taken: 82M

Taken 2: 236M

An example of an excellent OS increase would be from Batman Begins 167M to TDK 470M, but STID increase was less than any of these so I wouldn't call it excellent.

Again, you're not looking at the ST franchise as a whole. The first massive increase was ST09... STID was another increase -- not massive, but solid. You're talking about a franchise whose prior film grossed $20m OS total.

• Like 1

Fake predicted 500m+ OS for STiD.

Even most conservative people predicted 300m+.

Nuff said.

Pre-release, people said STiD would pull TDK OS. Now they deny it and insist that is not a good example at all.

I predicted 250M before it opened and almost everyone predicted more than that, and people argued that 300 or 400M+ is reasonable. If STID's gross is "excellent" then where were all these sub 200M predictions before it opened? Because I didn't see them.

Again, you're not looking at the ST franchise as a whole. The first massive increase was ST09... STID was another increase -- not massive, but solid. You're talking about a franchise whose prior film grossed $20m OS total.

What Star Trek did before 2009 isn't relevant, those films had a very different scale and I doubt they got the kind of wide release and marketing push the modern Star Trek has. But even if you think it is, than that would make ST09 impressive, but that doesn't mean anything for STID.

What Star Trek did before 2009 isn't relevant, those films had a very different scale and I doubt they got the kind of wide release and marketing push the modern Star Trek has. But even if you think it is, than that would make ST09 impressive, but that doesn't mean anything for STID.

How is it irrelevant? These last two films still had to overcome the "stigma" of the other Treks (especially since the last couple weren't even good films).

Star Trek has a stigma attached while these other films that you are discussing don't. Its simply not an apples to apples comparison my peeps!

I personally predicted about 330M DOM and 250M OS for STID and it obviously did not reach that. It didn't live up to my expectations. It doesn't mean that STID did poorly just that my expectations were out of whack.

How is it irrelevant? These last two films still had to overcome the "stigma" of the other Treks (especially since the last couple weren't even good films).

It doesn't matter how good they were if nobody saw them.

Star Trek Into Darkness is finishing out its overseas run with only three territories left to release in August. Argentina and Chile will see an August 15 release and the film is slated to open in japan on August 23. The sci-fi sequel has grossed $223.5 million outside of North America over 11 weekends, bringing its global total to $448.6 million.