A Marvel Fanboy

Monsters University OS (Settling for fine 480M OS total)

The compeition for animations in 2013 is normal or weak compared with 2010 and other years.

Since it is true that there were 4 big animated movies in Summer 2010 and many kids would not go to all of them, the 4 movies were quite more spaced in time than MU and DM2 ;)

How to train your dragon (March 26th)

8 weeks

Shrek Forever After (May 21st)

4 weeks

Toy Story 3 (June 18th)

3 weeks

Despicable me (July 9th)

15 weeks in total

Monsters University (June 21st)

12 days

Despicable me 2 (July 3rd)

4 weeks

The Smurfs 2 (August 2nd) - I include this because it is being nearly as big OS as How to train your dragon

less than 6 weeks in total

These are US dates but I guess that this situation has been similar in other countries.

• Like 1

Since it is true that there were 4 big animated movies in Summer 2010 and many kids would not go to all of them, the 4 movies were quite more spaced in time than MU and DM2 ;)

How to train your dragon (March 26th)

8 weeks

Shrek Forever After (May 21st)

4 weeks

Toy Story 3 (June 18th)

3 weeks

Despicable me (July 9th)

15 weeks in total

Monsters University (June 21st)

12 days

Despicable me 2 (July 3rd)

4 weeks

The Smurfs 2 (August 2nd) - I include this because it is being nearly as big OS as How to train your dragon

less than 6 weeks in total

These are US dates but I guess that this situation has been similar in other countries.

No, it's not. MU was released from June to Sep in different countries, very diffused.

And why is Dragons there ? Why didnt you include Croods ? 4 titles (2010) VS 3 titles (2012) not fair.

Edited by firedeep

No, it's not. MU was released from June to Sep in different countries, very diffused.

And why is Dragons there ? Why didnt you include Croods ? 4 titles (2010) VS 3 titles (2012) not fair.

That's true. I forgot Croods :blush: . So, if we quit HTTYD, then it would strengthen my theory that MU has had a similar competition that animated movies had in 2010.

Yes, the dates are diffused in general. In the same way were Shrek 4 (May-December), Toy Story 3 (June-October), Despicable me (June-November). I wanted to point that we should look what has been the time gap between DM2, MU and Smurfs 2 in each country to see competition effect. At least in the biggest markets.

Australia: 0 days (both June 20th)

France: 2 weeks

UK: 2 weeks

Spain: 2 weeks

Germany: 2 weeks

Brazil: 2 weeks

Mexico: 2 weeks

Argentina: 2 weeks

Netherlands: 3 weeks

Russia, Japan, Italy should not be so affected since there is a 6-8 weeks gap.

At least 8 big markets have released both movies in a 2 weeks gap. I think the MU result is not incredible but quite good considering this factor.

• Like 1

MU result is fine. To say it's great is just stupid.

Meh movie, shouldnt do more anyway.

It's 3rd biggest Pixar movie OS and WW so OS results is great.  ;)

Strongly disagree with the 2nd statement. I really liked it and it deserves to be the highest grossing animation of the year. 

• Like 1

I actually agree with Firedeep, it's not a bad result by any means, but I wouldn't call it great either.

As for quality, I haven't seen this and probably won't, because I didn't like Monsters Inc., and thought it was one of Pixars weakest films.

lol 480 M is not great? That's the 4th biggest overseas gross among summer films. So if this isn't great, how should we describe MOS and WWZ's take? Mediocre? lololololol

MOS is average, WWZ is great since it's an original zombie film, if WWZ 2 won't have a big increase than that wouldn't be great either.

480M is nothing to be proud of for a 200M budgetd animation sequel tentpole.

Cars 2 was garbage but still did nearly 370M. Brave was original and did 300m. KFP2 did 500M, still disappointing considering KFP did already over 400M.

The Ice Age movies os numbers is the one that is great. Or like Tangled 390m for an origianl animation. KFP 415M. that is called great.

• Like 1

480M is nothing to be proud of for a 200M budgetd animation sequel tentpole.

Or like Tangled 390m for an origianl animation.

Tangled cost over $300 million to make.

Granted, it was worth the investment because Rapunzel is now one of the company's #1 merchandise monsters, raking in billions each year. And a spin-off + Broadway adaptation are in the works.

But it did not make a profit at the Box Office.

And for Disney, this is what it's all about: merchandise and longevity. Monsters, Inc has been a top moneymaker for years, MU was simply a little boost for merchandise sales. Just like Cars 2 and Planes were boosts. The millions they spend in production are recouped through merchandise sales. It's easy to sit here and judge a movie's performance solely on Box Office when we know nothing about how it performed in other aspects. Hell, we don't even know what Disney's targets are.