CJohn

Thor 2 OS thread

You mean 250M OS by Sunday ??

Nope.

Neither do I think 500m OS is possible at this point.

I said it could be between 240-250M and for the second point we'll see who is right. I'm expecting good legs OS which gives it a chance at 500M OS. 

240M by sunday looks incredibly tough. what other big market is opening besides China. I believe Russia previews are already accounted for in the gross(looking at SD report). Plus couple of markets had extended weekends last week and so you might see worse drop this weekend when you compare 5-day to 3-day. Also Asian markets are front loaded and Asia did great last week.

• Like 1

Box Office Preview: Will 'Thor: The Dark World' Near $90 Million in Domestic Debut?1:45 PM PST 11/6/2013 by Pamela McClintock

The tentpole -- returning Chris Hemsworth in the title role -- has already earned a mammoth $133.4 million overseas.Marvel Studios and Disney's 3D tentpole Thor: The Dark World continues to gather strength as it prepares to open Thursday night at the domestic box office, where it now has a shot at eclipsing the $88.4 million opening of James Bond pic Skyfall on the same weekend a year ago.

Based on initial prerelease tracking, box-office observers were expecting Thor 2 -- returning Chris Hemsworth in the title role -- to gross a healthy $75 million in its domestic launch, easily exceeding the $65.7 million opening of the original Thor in May 2011.

But with the film's mammoth showing overseas -- it's earned $133.4 million in less than a week -- and the rising interest in North America, tracking now suggests Thor 2 will open notably higher. Thor 2's performance also will be boosted by a last-minute decision to carry the film in roughly 305 Imax locations in the U.S. and Canada (it wills share space with Ender's Game).

Thor 2 will be playing in 3,841 North American theaters as of 8 p.m. Thursday, including more than 3,100 3D venues. Overseas, the movie should continue to rack up substantial grosses this weekend, including in China, where it opens Friday. Don't be surprised if Thor 2's global gross is well north of $300 million by Sunday. As a way of comparison, the first Thor took in a total of $449.3 million globally.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-will-thor-653923 

Edited by Ent

This is not a must-see 3D/IMAX film like AVATAR or GRAVITY. I don't think it 

will do $65M in China. $40M+ is more like it.

No way will this make $40+M in China while being released without any other potential US blockbuster (like CF and Gravity will) and coming out of TA with IM3 increasing from TA by 33%.

The Wolverine did $40+ while MOS did $65M and Thor1 did $15M pre TA.

And all the asian markets have exponentially increased from Thor1.  China will too.

Mon + Tue was only 23m.

Current markets: 11 + 12 + 10.5 + 9 + 12 + 20 + 16 = 90m week. So around 200M by Sunday. And there are China ($25m) and a dozen of other small markets ($10~15, Chile, Georgia, Macedonia, Peru, Serbia,Thailand, India 8, Poland, Romania,Vietnam) this weekend.

So yeah 240m OS by Sunday is possible but it may not hit that range.

With 50% weekly drop from now on, it will finish with around 365m OS. Adding Japan (15m) + Itlay (15m) + Argentina (10m) + rest markets = 410M OS

With 40% weekly drop, which will be very hard since South America/China/Asia markets are always frontloading, from now on, it will finish with around 420m OS. Adding Japan (15m) + Itlay (15m) + Argentina (10m) + rest markets = 460M OS

Or so.

No way will this make $40+M in China while being released without any other potential US blockbuster (like CF and Gravity will) and coming out of TA with IM3 increasing from TA by 33%. The Wolverine did $40+ while MOS did $65M and Thor1 did $15M pre TA. And all the asian markets have exponentially increased from Thor1.  China will too.

Agree.. 40 mill will be no problem for Thor.. It should do much more..

Mon + Tue was only 23m. Current markets: 11 + 12 + 10.5 + 9 + 12 + 20 + 16 = 90m week. So around 200M by Sunday. And there are China ($25m) and a dozen of other small markets ($10~15, Chile, Georgia, Macedonia, Peru, Serbia,Thailand, India 8, Poland, Romania,Vietnam) this weekend. So yeah 240m OS by Sunday is possible but it may not hit that range. With 50% weekly drop from now on, it will finish with around 365m OS. Adding Japan (15m) + Itlay (15m) + Argentina (10m) + rest markets = 410M OS With 40% weekly drop, which will be very hard since South America/China/Asia markets are always frontloading, from now on, it will finish with around 420m OS. Adding Japan (15m) + Itlay (15m) + Argentina (10m) + rest markets = 460M OS Or so.

I actually agree with you here. I have it somewhere in between. What is your china prediction in this calculation?

240M by sunday looks incredibly tough. what other big market is opening besides China. I believe Russia previews are already accounted for in the gross(looking at SD report). Plus couple of markets had extended weekends last week and so you might see worse drop this weekend when you compare 5-day to 3-day. Also Asian markets are front loaded and Asia did great last week.

It is but monday is a veteran day in Europe, so weekend BO will be inflated as well as the monday after.

In any case with the pacing of this week, it will enter that extended weekend with $150+M  overseas.  $250M on monday night should be within its reach.

Edited by Ent

Nikki Finke ‏@NikkiFinke 33sInternational total $141.9M for Marvel's 'Thor: The Dark World'. First weekend was 4th highest overseas opening of 2013. 11/8 China opening.

So 32M M-W

Nikki Finke ?

First wkn was 2nd highest OW of 2013, 4th highest of all wkns 2013, behind IM3 OW and 2nd wkn, F6 2nd wkn.

It looks like 500M will be tough unless china is HUGE. Based on wednesday number I see around 225M by end of this weekend. I would say around 400-425M with holdovers and japan/italy etc pending. I would say 450M OS for now. So it needs to break out domestic(250M+) to hit 700M WW. We will know in a day's number how things go on domestic side.