CJohn

Thor 2 OS thread

All the reasons you have given about Thor in Spain are true, but it is not exactly logical having into account past. Thor 1 already sold more admissions than Iron Man 2. However, meanwhile Thor is dropping, IM3 has increased a lot from IM2. It has been a 71% higher with the same horrible economical situation. I know that Iron Man appealing has increased a lot after Avengers, but it still does not explain a so hard drop (Thor 2 has done 1.5 million lower than first part with a 4-day weekend). I did not expect a big increase from Thor 1, but either a hard drop. Anyway, I do not think it will land too far from 12.4 million of first part.

Spain was in the toilet financially even before Thor 1 came out, though. :/

Yes and no.

In 2011 Spain was growing, it was its first growth since 2007 so people could see a light at the end of the tunnel but the debt crisis in the European Union annihilated this and Spain came back into recession, the unemployment strongly increased after that.

In 2013 Spain's GDP will decrease again. This country will need a decade or more to come back to 2007 levels. So we shouldn't hope big numbers from this market for a very long time.

• Like 1

Yes and no.

In 2011 Spain was growing, it was its first growth since 2007 so people could see a light at the end of the tunnel but the debt crisis in the European Union annihilated this and Spain came back into recession, the unemployment strongly increased after that.

In 2013 Spain's GDP will decrease again. This country will need a decade or more to come back to 2007 levels. So we shouldn't hope big numbers from this market for a very long time.

I agree with you in most of things, but I think Spain can still give some big numbers. Although I am starting to think that this year the only big movie will be TH2.

• Like 1

I agree with you in most of things, but I think Spain can still give some big numbers. Although I am starting to think that this year the only big movie will be TH2.

Maybe the time of the year coupled with recession could explain that.

It's winter, bills are higher for home expenditures to keep warm, especially in a country in deep economical crisis striking more and more young people (the main target for those products). 

Also it's time for people to spend less money and keep it for the coming Santa Claus and gifts to families and friends.  I guess all those things weigh much more on the wallet of the average person living there, trying to put his/her money where it needs it most.

• Like 2

That means Thor 1 will catch up a bit for the full opening week.  It had public holidays on Monday and Tuesday.  Although Thor 2 does get a public holiday in Victoria tomorrow for Melbourne Cup.  I'm to sure how full the theatres will be though.

• Like 1

BOM says Thor 2 likely won't reach 500m. 

A week ahead of its U.S. debut, Thor: The Dark Worldopened to $109.4 million from 36 foreign markets this weekend. That represents 70 percent of the international marketplace, and doesn't include major territories China, Japan, and Italy.

Thor 2's biggest markets were the U.K. ($13.4 million), France ($9.4 million), Mexico ($8.2 million), Brazil ($8.1 million), Germany ($7.9 million), Russia ($7.8 million), South Korea ($7.6 million) and Australia ($6.9 million). Across those eight markets, Thor 2 was up on average around 27 percent from the first Thor. This was also a little over half as much as Iron Man 3, which is the first of theAvengers follow-ups. This data suggests that Thor: The Dark World isn't going to be able to make it to $500 million overseas.