CJohn

Kung Fu Panda 3 | 1/29/2016 | New Trailer on Page 26!

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Screen's review leaned negative.

Sounds like you'll get pretty much exactly what you expected. Personally I didn't care for the second and doubt I'll go to much lengths to see this

Pixar butthurt loonie detected.

Absolutely. But I really did not care for the second

12 hours ago, jandrew said:

That's not good marketing IMO if its only on Cartoon Network then and nowhere else. 

Po should be everywhere. I should walk into Walmart and almost feel harassed by how much KFP stuff I run into, and KFP ads should be hitting me from all directions, but thats not the case. 

I'm getting a "its the 3rd one, we dont really need to market, people already know what KFP is" vibe from Fox. 

Last year we were wondering where the marketing for Home was and predicting an opening in the 20m-30m range. It doubled that. I think it's like that Fox/DWA has gotten very targeted in their marketing efforts, which may make it seem invisible to some people, but has specific awareness that is high enough that it doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Last year we were wondering where the marketing for Home was and predicting an opening in the 20m-30m range. It doubled that. I think it's like that Fox/DWA has gotten very targeted in their marketing efforts, which may make it seem invisible to some people, but has specific awareness that is high enough that it doesn't matter. 

We? I was one of the few non-naysayers. I had Home breaking out. 

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Evaluating the marketing for kids movies is pretty much always a hindsight game

Unless we can be fairly certain marketing is making kids laugh. Then we know a good OW is coming. I'll never forget the way hordes of kids cracked up at the DM2 and Minions marketing whenever I went to an animated movie and saw their trailers. Same reason I am expecting huge things from Pets. 

Edited by MovieMan89

As a fan of the franchise, those reviews honestly have me worried. Kung Fu Panda 1 is decent at best, but Kung Fu Panda 2 is one of the best animated films in the last five years. Hearing this one's lighter and closer in tone to the original gets me very disappointed. I'll still see it though.

How is it hindsight when I'm talking about it 2 weeks before release? 

Everyone bases their predictions on their personal biases. What would be considered a "limited" or "muted" marketing campaign to one person is a "targeted" campaign to another. There's really no way to know for sure.

• Like 1

Again I dont see what this has to do with anything. I havent posted any predictions so why all this about personal biases?

I cant be legitimately concerned with the marketing effort that I've seen?

Edited by jandrew

7 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Again I dont see what this has to do with anything. I havent posted any predictions so why all this about personal biases?

I cant be legitimately concerned with the marketing effort that I've seen?

I just don't think any of us really have a good idea of what the "correct" way to market it is. I mean, I find throwing around random poop and pee gags in your trailer to be grossly unappealing, but apparently kids lap that stuff up. 

13 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I just don't think any of us really have a good idea of what the "correct" way to market it is. I mean, I find throwing around random poop and pee gags in your trailer to be grossly unappealing, but apparently kids lap that stuff up. 

We're not on the same page, bud. Im not talking about what will and won't appeal. Im talking about brand awareness, airtime, tie-ins, merchandising. Literal marketing logistics. Not "they shouldve put this in instead of that."

1 minute ago, jandrew said:

We're not on the same page, bud. Im not talking about what will and won't appeal. Im talking about brand awareness, airtime, tie-ins, merchandising. Literal marketing logistics. Not "they shouldve put this in instead of that."

Well, apparently it did rank third this past week in ad spending, with over 1000 airings:

http://variety.com/2016/more/news/13-hours-takes-the-lead-in-tv-ad-spending-1201677542/

And Nick and CN were the top channels. I imagine most of us don't watch those stations with much regularity so the movie would feel "underexposed" to us.

Variety http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/kung-fu-panda-3-review-1201680767/

Maybe it’s just the “Star Wars” overload talking, but in hindsight, it’s hard not to see “Kung Fu Panda 2” (2011) as “The Empire Strikes Back” of animated mammals-and-martial-arts epics: Darker and scarier than the 2008 original, it took the winsome tale of a bouncy black-and-white furball, added traumatic layers of backstory, and climaxed with a startling revelation of parental identity. Despite a long-overdue family reunion that at times nudges the story into borderline-Ewok territory, it’s a pleasure to report that “Kung Fu Panda 3” is much more than the mere franchise equivalent of “Return of the Jedi.” Emotionally, dramatically and perhaps most of all visually (it’s worth seeing in 3D), this delightful trilogy capper is almost as generously proportioned as its cuddly warrior hero, restoring a winning lightness of touch to the saga while bringing its long-running themes of perseverance and self-knowledge to satisfying fruition.

• Like 1