CJohn

Kung Fu Panda 3 | 1/29/2016 | New Trailer on Page 26!

I reckon DWA will be bought by one of the major studios in the near future. Katzenberg has been trying to sell it for a while and i suspect he values DWA at the same price as Pixar when Disney bought it but no one would be willing to be spend that amount.

• Like 1

On ‎2015‎-‎11‎-‎11‎ ‎17‎:‎45‎:‎30, Jonwo said:

I reckon DWA will be bought by one of the major studios in the near future. Katzenberg has been trying to sell it for a while and i suspect he values DWA at the same price as Pixar when Disney bought it but no one would be willing to be spend that amount.

I hope another studio can help DWA to be on top again. :)

But the question is.......what major studio would do it?

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2015, 2:39:29, goldenstate5 said:

...I must be nuts. Obviously Toy Story is the best animated trilogy.

(looks up)

Oh, I stepped into a Dreamworks thread, I apologize everyone.

(I do like KFP and Dragon tho, but both have yet to prove their trilogy worth... I still think it wouldn't be quite as good as TS)

Well, KFP and HTTYD are not trilogies. Yet.

I would slot either HTTYD film above all three TS films, though. I give TS1 a lot of props for its immense historical significance, but the other two are mid-tier Pixar at best. Which is still really good, and better than the KFPs, but it's not HTTYD good.

I kinda hope that KFP is like Madagascar where each film improves on its predecessor. KFP2 was better than KFP, so here's hoping for KFP3.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

DWA should be OK again. Home was their first surprise hit in ages, and this is pretty much guaranteed to be their most profitable film in years with OS. 

Didn't they still lose money with Home?

Speaking of which, I saw Home on Netflix yesterday and when Jim Parsons wasn't super annoying or movie didn't feel super rushed so they could cram more Rihanna songs into it it was okay, I guess.

Well, Home did $177M DOM..so it way better than the last DW originals (except for The Croods). And it did $386M WW.

Anyways, back to KFP3....i think with very small and so-so movies in February and with the Ben-Hur remake out of the way, this one could clobber it's competitors and be dominant in OS-markets.

Even in DOM.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

I tried watching the first one a few weeks ago and it didn't hold up well at all. I fell asleep before Po even reached Dragon Warrior selection cerimony. 

KFP was one of my favorite animated movies when I was in my teens, I used to say that it was one of the few that could rival Pixar. Now, I can't go past the clicheness and simplism of it all, feels way too juvenile for my tastes.

KFP2 is in my top 5 of 2011 (weak year), kinda scared of watching it again and being disappointed.

if the third one is anything like the trailer, then I'm pretty sure I will strongly dislike it. The "Po must teach his Panda friends how to fight" and what looks like a terribly generic villain will be the cure of my insomnia, I can feel it.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2015, 8:03:59, ThatOneGuy said:

I'm betting that Universal will buy Dreamworks and maybe merge it with Illumination.  If they did that, Universal would be richer than Bill Gates...

I doubt there'd be an animation studio merger like that. The creative culture's too different to make it possible.

So if Universal was to buy DWA, they'd probably have to look at what sort of release slate they'd want going forward between the two studios. Kind of like how Disney right now does 2.5 films a year between WDAS and Pixar. Alternatively, they may look at it as entirely about acquiring the DWA IP, in which case they could buy it and shutter the studio, with the intention of having some films produced from Illumination in the future.

But really, all the big six have animation efforts of their own which makes a purchase of DWA somewhat unlikely. It'd make more sense for it to enter some sort of merger with a mini-major (Lionsgate, really) or possibly one of the major production houses (Legendary). Assuming such an agreement would be mutually beneficial.

• Like 1