ecstasy

Thursday Box Office

Sony said it needs TASM to do 700 million WW to make a profit, its at 400 million+, needs around 300 million more. I think from the looks of it, Sony might end up losing money on TASM

Spidey could be pulled from theaters next week and we'd still get a sequel. He's a merchandising MONSTER. I'm not up to speed on how studios make money on merchandising (do they sell the imagery for a lump sum to different manufacturers or do they get percentages of sales?) but Sony will probably make (have already made) millions off the backpacks/boy's underwear/shoes/toys/etc with TASM's characters, designs and logos printed on them. Sony will probably NEVER relinquish Spider-Man.

Totally. Movies like SM and Disney shit are merchandise-driven and movies itself are really big promo reel for new toy lines. Even TA`s spectacular boxoffice is dwarfed by TA merchandise sales. WB will rake in billions from HP merchandise for years to come,etc.

Edited by fishnets

Spidey could be pulled from theaters next week and we'd still get a sequel. He's a merchandising MONSTER. I'm not up to speed on how studios make money on merchandising (do they sell the imagery for a lump sum to different manufacturers or do they get percentages of sales?) but Sony will probably make (have already made) millions off the backpacks/boy's underwear/shoes/toys/etc with TASM's characters, designs and logos printed on them. Sony will probably NEVER relinquish Spider-Man.

It's a bit different with a Marvel owned character, though. I am sure Sony still gets a cut of related merchandise sales, but it won't be close to as much as say Disney gets from their movie related products.Sony will ultimately make money on TASM. There is no doubt about that, between the theatrical release and all of the secondary revenue streams. There's also no doubt, however, that it will be a disappointingly low amount compared to previous SM films. TASM isn't a failure, but it is a bit of a dud. It will be interesting to see how TASM2 is received.

It's a bit different with a Marvel owned character, though. I am sure Sony still gets a cut of related merchandise sales, but it won't be close to as much as say Disney gets from their movie related products.

Sony will ultimately make money on TASM. There is no doubt about that, between the theatrical release and all of the secondary revenue streams. There's also no doubt, however, that it will be a disappointingly low amount compared to previous SM films. TASM isn't a failure, but it is a bit of a dud. It will be interesting to see how TASM2 is received.

no it's not, enough of this nonsense

Sony said it needs TASM to do 700 million WW to make a profit, its at 400 million+, needs around 300 million more. I think from the looks of it, Sony might end up losing money on TASM

:lol:

Disney gets a cut of the merchandising.

IA4 will probably disappoint so it's not like TASM has much competition this weekend. I expect 31m+. The weekend after I heard there's some movie coming out that might compete with it a little, but it's probably just a rumour.

Its false.. Don´t listen to the rumours

Disney gets a cut of the merchandising.

Although Disney/Marvel OWNS Spider-Man, Sony has the lease. And it is their product - their REPRESENTATION of the property - the outcome of the labors of their artists and designers and filmmakers - that are being represented on the merchandise. So I would think they would get a considerable share of the profit, right? I know business is not always fair, but it just seems like Disney/Marvel provided the raw material and Sony put all the work into making it a current product. I HOPE Sony gets a good share. That would simply be the fair thing.

I beg to differ. It absolutely is. 300m is not happening, that makes it a bit of a dud.

so, it doesn't matter, the worldwide gross will be more then enough to make this successful and it will likely finish in the top 5 grossing films of the year worldwide. What a dud!