ecstasy

Thursday Box Office

After predicting TASM to reach $362M... I'm in no position to question anyone's estimation on anything. Plus, it's a bit harsh to bash anyone on predictions. B/c that's what they are... predictions, guesses.

I think ASM has done well. Nothing out of the world but its a solid performance that shows the strength of the brand. That being said I am skeptical about a big increase for the sequel. I dont think this has that good a WOM for that to happen.

it's not just WOM, the fact that the sequel won't have the origin again and will have a new story will probably be enough to attract a lot of new people who decided to sit this one out

Nothing to see here. Same ole same ole "TASM is a flop!" drivel by the same two people.TASM is fine, it's doing great so far and it will definitely garner a sequel that will make even more money.

It is a domestic disappointment, that's a fact. No two words about it. Before the film came out we pretty much all agreed that 280m is the break or make point. It's doing lower than that.

I think ASM has done well. Nothing out of the world but its a solid performance that shows the strength of the brand. That being said I am skeptical about a big increase for the sequel. I dont think this has that good a WOM for that to happen.

Losing third of its audience is considered doing well?

It is a domestic disappointment, that's a fact. No two words about it. Before the film came out we pretty much all agreed that 280m is the break or make point. It's doing lower than that.Losing third of its audience is considered doing well?

yes,. a fourth film getting lower attendance than the other films is nothing really out of the ordinary. Now I am not saying it is doing great and I personally wish it was doing better but it is doing decent and overall it is definitely finishing with a good worldwide total and the sequel will happen Edited by John Marston

Sony said it needs TASM to do 700 million WW to make a profit, its at 400 million+, needs around 300 million more. I think from the looks of it, Sony might end up losing money on TASM

Except for the box-office numbers, everything thing else is non-verifiable. Needing 700 million BO make a profit is just silly.

Anyone who expected $280M+ was living in fantasy land. At least Sony has always been realistic about the film's box office prospects, unlike certain people who shall remain nameless.

Why? It's not such an unreasonable number for a big tentpole movie, even with everything that was going against it. I generally expected it to be the underwhelmer compared to TA and TDKR and I thought it only had a bare shot at near $300m+ but anyone predicting in the $200+ category was not in "fantasy land", that was reserved for people who thought it had a shot at $400+.

If Spidey follows a typical pattern, it looks to do less than 29 for the weekend.

I stated 55% second weekend drop for roughly $27.9m this weekend for TASM.I'm not shocked to see this number, it's Tue was just better than expected. Probably cause people are leery from the weak wom they are hearing.

Although Disney/Marvel OWNS Spider-Man, Sony has the lease. And it is their product - their REPRESENTATION of the property - the outcome of the labors of their artists and designers and filmmakers - that are being represented on the merchandise. So I would think they would get a considerable share of the profit, right? I know business is not always fair, but it just seems like Disney/Marvel provided the raw material and Sony put all the work into making it a current product. I HOPE Sony gets a good share. That would simply be the fair thing.

Sorry but you're wrong. The deal was renegotiated in 2009 when they purchased Marvel. This if from Disney's Iger:

"Then in July, Sony Pictures will release The Amazing Spiderman. We're excited about the film and expect it will drive significant benefits for Spiderman consumer products.

To that end, we recently completed a transaction with Sony Pictures to simplify our relationship. And then in the deal, we purchased Sony Pictures' participation in Spiderman merchandising, while at the same time, Sony Pictures purchased from us our participation in Spiderman films. This transaction will allow us to control and fully benefit from all Spiderman merchandising activity, while Sony will continue to produce and distribute Spiderman films. We won't be specific about the economics of this 2-way transaction, but we expect it will drive attractive returns for Disney.

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/content/disney-buys-amazing-spider-man-merchandise-rights-sony-keeps-movie-deal

• Like 2

Wow... that kinda sucks. But... honestly, THAT should have pushed Sony (even moreso than one would expect) to make the best Spider-Man film they could since that arrangement apparently makes the film their only source of income.Again... wow.

Edited by MagnetMan

pretty solid indeed. Nothing earth shattering but to be expected when you change everything.

What is up with these reactions? Every comparable Tue/Wed July 4th opening film, from TF1 to SM2 and from Hancock to SR, all dropped at least 8% on their comparable Thursdays. This drop is completely in line, if not better.http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=id4openings.htm

What is up with these reactions? Every comparable Tue/Wed July 4th opening film, from TF1 to SM2 and from Hancock to SR, all dropped at least 8% on their comparable Thursdays. This drop is completely in line, if not better.

http://boxofficemojo...id4openings.htm

How long have you been following box office, it's par for the course. You old geezer. ;):P