Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Fair enough.

I highly doubt there'll be any correlation between the events and the film for all but a very small amount of people. The insistence of the media to continually refer to the events as the "Batman shooting" and the like is however very sensationalist.

TRUE, which sucks

but that is what common people who don't dig on the internet 24 hours a day feel, they are scared of going out to cinemas

But what I wish and claim is that the film recovers and starts firing the box office

Good night folks :sherlock:

It's looking that way.I must say I'm somewhat surprised and disappointed at the Friday number. Sequels tend to be frontloaded but it seems the shooting has dampened enthusiasm for the movie.I just felt that with all the sell out reports we got here that the TDKR would have done more on Friday.

The sellouts were misinterpreted and made to look better than they actually were by some posters. In fact, it was trailing behind DH1, NM, Eclipse, BD1 and even THG, let alone DH2.

The tragedy likely affected it IMO. Its been all over all media outlets all day, calling it the Batman massacre. Headlines asking if it's really safe to go to the theaters this weekend?Media is causing a stir over the safety of this weekend which will easily keep moviegoers at home.

So if it under performs it's because of the shooter and not because it's the weakest of the Nolan Batman films?

without 3d how much will avengers would have made, because i still see a massive number here but this could be the most attended weekend ever for a film giving the not boost of 3d isn't it??

Hmmm... I think Avenger's non-3D number is at almost 185M. That would put Avengers in a virtual tie in admissions with TDK, although it probably had more admissions than TDK but not by much (maybe 50,000 tickets or so). Other people may have different figures thoughAlthough TDK only adjusts to 175M, TDKR would probably have to make north of 185M to match it in admissions because TDKR's IMAX share is higher. Edited by jse

So if it under performs it's because of the shooter and not because it's the weakest of the Nolan Batman films?

I am not certain how you can argue otherwise.It is the sequel to a beloved film. No matter how crappy this movie is (I'm quite certain it isn't crappy though I haven't seen it yet), it won't be judged as such and affected until AFTER OW.Take Spiderman 3. One of the most horrid examples of moviemaking history. However, it broke the OW record, and set a Sat record, simply because it was the sequel to SM2 which was a very good movie.If Batman underperforms its tracking today, it is OBVIOUS it is because of the tragedy. Haters will argue otherwise, but this really shouldn't be a debatable point.
  • Like 4

WOM would not spread that quickly to hugely affect the numbers. The earliest we'd see effects is Saturday. I also don't think the WOM is toxic. It seems to be overall fairly positive.

Edited by MrPink

This was posted on The Dark Knight Rises Facebook page an hour or so ago. considering the topics here i thought it appropriate to include.

"Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community. I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime. The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me. Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."- Christopher Nolan

PS - i am saddened by what happened myself. and yes i think it's likely it will negatively impact the box office results of this batman.

Warner Brothers cares. I don't think it's insensitive to discuss box office in a box office forum. And this is coming from someone who was troubled by the news coverage earlier today. Nobody should have to go through what those people went through but bad stuff happens to people every day.

No. If it underperforms it's because less people decided to watch this movie.And I'm sorry. I didn't get the memo that your opinion on this movie and Nolan"s catalogue of films was fact. Thanks for the uppity know it all insight though.
  • Like 3

When things settle down I think people will see this as another example of the 'trilogy curse' that we see so often nowadays. I think it's just too tough to come up with three great films with the same creative team. I've seen 'first film is good, second film is GREAT, third film kind of sucks' too many times now. First three Spider-man films, the X-Men films, Original Star Wars trilogy (although this goes WAY back of course and Jedi wasn't TERRIBLE)...and now Nolan's Batman films.

When things settle down I think people will see this as another example of the 'trilogy curse' that we see so often nowadays. I think it's just too tough to come up with three great films with the same creative team. I've seen 'first film is good, second film is GREAT, third film kind of sucks' too many times now. First three Spider-man films, the X-Men films, Original Star Wars trilogy (although this goes WAY back of course and Jedi wasn't TERRIBLE)...and now Nolan's Batman films.

WOM does not affect a films OD this significantly, especially if it does open to around $75M coming off $30M midnights.

I don't agree with bunching TDKR with that, but thats just me

No. If it underperforms it's because less people decided to watch this movie.And I'm sorry. I didn't get the memo that your opinion on this movie and Nolan"s catalogue of films was fact. Thanks for the uppity know it all insight though.

Yep...you got me....I think Nolanites are looking for excuses. Cause gawd knows you have to pick a side in things like this and if the awesomeness that is Batman doesn't beat The Avengers we're all going to commit seppuko on our batarangs...

WOM does not affect a films OD this significantly, especially if it does open to around $75M coming off $30M midnights.

Correct WOM has stellar from TDK and that translates into TDKR. The tragedy looks like it may have trumped that, though you may end up with a strong Sat and an increase on Friday less midnights as a result.SM3 is a great example of a crappy film that broke records. WOM doesn't hurt a film till the next move. TRF2 is another good example.