Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Wow, 75 would definitely be a bit disheartening.I do think the shooting, while not necessarily scaring that many people away from theaters, is sort of sucking the fun out of Batman at the moment. Not what this movie needs on OW.It sucks that we were robbed of a completely legitimate Avengers (Marvel) vs. Batman (DC) showdown.

The Batman films don't have much 'fun' to suck out to begin with IMO. I thought TDK was excellent but I'm not sure I'd call it fun. The Avengers oozed fun and I think audiences reacted to that.

What was the controversy with the first one?

Katie Holmes. At the time, Tom Cruise had just did his big stunt on Oprah, and Katie was all they talked about when BB opened. That is why Katie Holmes was recasted.

The Batman films don't have much 'fun' to suck out to begin with IMO. I thought TDK was excellent but I'm not sure I'd call it fun. The Avengers oozed fun and I think audiences reacted to that.

Right. I am sure TDKR made a little less then double Avengers mdinights because it is not a "fun" movie.

If it is 75, hopefully that will put to bed the ridiculous idea that the shootings meant nothing for box office.

What figure would you draw the line as indicative of little to no effect from the shooting incident? If the number comes back reasonable (80M+), I think it becomes impossible to ascertain the BO hit, if any, from the shooting. Of course, it then becomes dependent on individual expectations for a reasonable TDKR OD.

Katie Holmes. At the time, Tom Cruise had just did his big stunt on Oprah, and Katie was all they talked about when BB opened. That is why Katie Holmes was recasted.

I didn't know that was the reason. Thank goodness though because if you think I didn't like Hathaway, then you don't wanna know what I thought about Holmes.

I see it doing something like this for the weekendFri: 78.6MSat: 48MSun: 40.5MOW: 167.1MDown from 185 (about 10%) from what it would normally do.

Edited by Mr Potter

I can't think of any reason -- other than the shooting -- why TDKR non-midnights would come in lower than TDK's, unadjusted. We don't have confirmation of that, of course, but anywhere close to it IMHO is shocking.

It burnt off 30.6M in demand at midnight. Some people are underwhelmed with that number, but it's absolutely huge, and definitely took pressure off matinees and evening showings.
  • Like 1

What figure would you draw the line as indicative of little to no effect from the shooting incident? If the number comes back reasonable (80M+), I think it becomes impossible to ascertain the BO hit, if any, from the shooting. Of course, it then becomes dependent on individual expectations for a reasonable TDKR OD.

Depends how the movie performs in the future probably. If it drops normally, or harshly, no effect. If the legs are fairly remarkable, we can assume it may have played a hand Edited by MrPink

I can't believe this has an effin' chance to lose against TDK's $158.4MOh please RTH, give us some good news :(

It has no chance of coming under that number. I would be utterly shocked at anything under 170M. I still expect a total around 180M due to stronger than expected Saturday and Sunday holds offsetting any shooting effect today.