Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

We shouldn't be seeing these Joker effects during OW anyway, Batman Returns did fine OW without him. It should be the same case here. And yes, there's the overseas markets to consider where it's performing very strongly.

CNN finally took the huge banner off front page. Thankfully. I have almost completely avoided watching the news on this one, victim interviews etc etc. I'm just not up for it and don't find it intriguing (as many of these tragedies sadly are actually quite interesting to hear witness accounts of i.e. VA Tech, Gabby Giffords, Canada psycho etc).

Heath Ledger's death had a huge effect on TDK results, just like this massive shooting also had a huge effect on TDKR box office.

I second that, my Mom even saw TDK on IMAX and she never watches comic book films or action films for that matter. She saw it because Ledger's performance was supposed to be stunning (and it was). Additionally, she never saw BB and the thought of seeing TDKR has not even been considered. She was blown away by Heath and the experience of seeing it IMAX but this is was definitely an exception to her movie going hobbits. I think a ton of people had this experience.
  • Like 1

Dude, what the heck? All he did was post the number.

What did the guy expect after 45 days and losing 1000+ screens. Did he expect the numbers to go up? Why point it out? Edited by iEye

I am now as certain as one can be that TDKR would not have beat TA's OW. There is no way the shooting took $40+ m off the table. That's a bit much. The Batman franchise has broken the 2D OW record (unadj) 5 times!!!

• Like 1

We shouldn't be seeing these Joker effects during OW anyway, Batman Returns did fine OW without him. It should be the same case here. And yes, there's the overseas markets to consider where it's performing very strongly.

That was 20 years ago and Nicholson was not as hyped up as Ledger was.

the opening is also less than SM3 adjusted

Well it's surprising but not out of this world shocking.Spiderman 3 is now seen as toxic...but back then it was the sequel to the "best comic book movie ever", the hype was incredible & in tickets sold SM2 was massive...like over $400m now..not as high as TDK but not like extremely far behind either.

This is one of the most depressing weekend for box office discussion since I joined BOM...that damn psycho spoiled everything

One of the most depressing? I cant name a more depressing BO weekend myself

That was 20 years ago and Nicholson was not as hyped up as Ledger was.

Of course there are other factors, but just because the Joker is the most popular Batman villain does not mean another Batman film can't open even bigger than ever without him. And Nicholson was quite loved at the time. If we want to attribute it specifically to Ledger fine. Edited by MrPink

now we go into semantics, Avengers and TASM have numerous, its fun but next! reviews...that happens in every movie. WOM for this for whoever is seen it is v good to great. This bodes well for those who think it can't match TDK and wanted to wait for dvd or something.

I readily accept your comments about "Avengers" and other movies. And that too was my point - that RT is not really the best place to "judge" a movie. It gives a quick snapshot of the overall impression.A "great" movie on RT usually floats around 85-90% "fresh". And a truly rotten movie is usually below 40%. There are, of course, exceptions. If your goal is to say that overall TDKR has similar RT rating to TDK, I accept that. I will not accept the IMDb argument at this time (as I know this is biased high).

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/hollywood-puts-box-office-mute-shootings-161636534.html

NEW YORK (AP) — Hollywood studios aligned in a rare show of solidarity to give their weekend box-office reporting a rest because of the shootings in Colorado at a screening of "The Dark Knight Rises."

Sony, Fox, Disney, Universal, Fox and Lionsgate said Saturday that they are joining "Dark Knight Rises" distributor Warner Bros. in withholding their box-office numbers for the weekend.

Warner Bros. announced Friday that it would forgo the usual revenue reports until Monday out of respect for the victims and their families in the shooting that killed 12 and wounded 58 at the midnight show earlier in the day.

The other studios said they also would not be reporting numbers until Monday. Paramount didn't immediately say whether they were joining. Box-office tracking service Rentrak said it would not report figures this weekend.

So Rentrack is not reporting it, Studios are not reporting it, who is?

Of course there are other factors, but just because the Joker is the most popular Batman villain does not mean another Batman film can't open even bigger than ever without him. And Nicholson was quite loved at the time.

If TDKR had only opened as high as Batman Returns did adjusted, it would've been seen as a downright disaster. It's possible that there are only so many people who are willing to see a Batman film opening weekend.