Cedarpoint1111

TDKR Weekend: $160.89M - #3 ALL TIME HIGHEST OW

Batman Returns was also not a very good movie.

Actually it was good, the problem was Burton made the Batman he wanted and the studio wanted colors, not dark and bleek. I watched it last week in the lead up to Rises and it aged very well outside of a few scenes. It wasn't better than Batman 89 but it was still good just to Dark for Family audiences back then which is funny cause now people feel they are cartoony and Nolan's series is Dark when back then Burton was the Dark one.

Showbuzzdaily.com numbers

Weekend 29: July 20-22, 2012 ($ millions) vs Last Wknd Wknd Studio Proj. Showbuzz Domestic Final Dark Knight Rises WB 161 490 Ice Age: Continental Drift Fox -56% 20.7 138 Amazing Spider-Man Sony -69% 10.7 285 Ted Uni -55% 10.1 221 Brave Dis -47% 5.9 232 Magic Mike WB -51% 4.4 117 Savages Uni -65% 3.3 53 TP’s Madea’s Witness Protection LG -58% 2.3 65 Moonrise Kingdom Foc Uni -50% 1.8 46 To Rome with Love Sony -40% 1.5 16 Madagascar 3 Par DW -63% 1.4 217 Katy Perry: Part of Me Par -70% 1.1 29

Those drops are just crazy. It's like looking at a bunch of Twilight second weekends.

Ice Age dropping 56% confirms that the shooting had a huge impact. Look at Spidey, nearly single digit. Lethargic weekend, let's hope that the market recovers next weekend.

By "recovers", do you mean everything has a normal drop? Or do you mean something like Ice Age only drops 10%, to get back up to where it theoretically could've been?

Ok "Spider Haters", I conseed Defeat, you guys were right, it dropped hard against Batman. It's going to struggle hear on out. Damn, well good luck on TASM 2, I think it will increase. But I think the Shooting didn't just affect Batman, it seems everyone was hurt but that's a hard drop for Spidey, The number went from 14, to 13, to 11, to 10, that's crazy.

• Like 1

Ok "Spider Haters", I conseed Defeat, you guys were right, it dropped hard against Batman. It's going to struggle hear on out. Damn, well good luck on TASM 2, I think it will increase. But I think the Shooting didn't just affect Batman, it seems everyone was hurt but that's a hard drop for Spidey, The number went from 14, to 13, to 11, to 10, that's crazy.

I don't think anyone is denying the shooting affected the whole box office this weekend now. That being said, TASM obviously would've had the worst drop with or without the tragedy since it fell the hardest. But that was to be expected, TDKR was direct competition for it. It probably would've dropped 60% or so this weekend under normal circumstances.

Everything was effected this weekend. I think Batman was hurt the most. I thought this could been the best weekend since I been following box office but it by far the worst. This is a weekend that nobody forget on here. Such infamous weekend.

• Like 1

No because Comic Book Films weren't popular back then. "Superman III and IV" literally killed off comic book movies for about 4 or 5 years before "Batman" kicked down the doors which is why to me "Superman 78 and Batman 89" remain the greatest comic book movies ever for the Impact they had on the genre, without those two there would be no Nolan Trilogy, Spider-man, Xmen, or anything. Everyone owes something to the 1st Superman and Batman movies. Just the fact it adjust to almost 500 Million in today's dollar's should let you know how massive it was. "TDK" was massive and a freak of nature and yes the Hype was through the roof but I was 9 years old when Batman 89 dropped, trust me the Hype was unbelievable, The movie was so huge that Prince's soundtrack sold millions and everyone makes fun of those songs now but they were huge, Yes even "Batdance". For Batman to beat Indy 3 was a big deal.

So comic book movies weren't real popular back then. That limits the amount of hype one can generate with a movie, regardless of the amount of product tie-ins they do. Since they're more popular today it means more people got hyped up for a Batman movie.And you say Batman rejuvenated the comic book movie? That probably explains why Batman Returns easily outgrossed it opening weekend. I'm not sure the genre has grown so much in popularity since The Dark Knight where that kind of increase would have been feasible here with TDKR. Edited by tribefan695

I don't see Ice Age and TASM recovering next weekend.

I think holdovers have a better chance of recovery as they can make up a loss of smaller dollar amount. If an opener like TDKR suffers a 20% loss for a week, it has run a deficit of over 40 million dollars that cannot be recovered from the rest of its run.

I don't see Ice Age and TASM recovering next weekend.

I would be shocked if IA doesn't. There's nothing else out there for families and kids right now, and the series got a strong CS so it should've had a good hold this weekend. That's the one movie I would count on bouncing back. Agree about TASM though, but that was always gonna be the case after TDKR came out.

My apologies. Obviously because I don't have as many posts on this board as someone else, I don't know as much about Batman as someone who was only a baby when it was released.Asshole.

I was 16 when Burton's Batman was released. I saw it 9 times in theaters. Had posters on my wall. T-shirts. Etc.God bless you on your endeavors in life.
  • Like 1

If this did not happen it could been TDKR 190m OW Avengers 200m OW could been a great box office runs. I am sure Joss Wheldon and Marvel did not want to win this way. It is like playing a sports team and having their best players injured and winning. You really do not feel like wining.

• Like 4

I was 16 when Burton's Batman was released. I saw it 9 times in theaters. Had posters on my wall. T-shirts. Etc.

Wasn't referring to you. Was referring to your defense of tribefan over people who actually remember Batman 89.Also, sorry for being rude. Positive points to you for taking the high road. Edited by kitik
  • Like 2

I was 16 when Burton's Batman was released. I saw it 9 times in theaters. Had posters on my wall. T-shirts. Etc.God bless you on your endeavors in life.

I think he means me. Edited by tribefan695